Rick Perry was Gore's Campaign Manager...

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
Rick Perry was Algore's campaign manager. Just because he wears a cowboy hat and shoots guns, that doesn't mean he's a conservative.

Oh and by the way, Obama the Warmongering Dick Tater needs to be impeached.

That is a lie. Perry was not Gore's campaign manager. Donna Brazile was.

I noticed you didn't comment after I posted this; did you miss it?

Debra Medina claims Rick Perry was a Democrat and Al Gore's campaign manager

GOP gubernatorial hopeful Debra Medina, a Wharton businesswoman, started a question to Gov. Rick Perry during Thursday night's GOP gubernatorial debate by pointing out he hasn't always been a Republican.

Medina said: "Governor, you were a Democrat, having worked for Al Gore as his campaign manager..."

The Gore-y chapter of Perry's political life hasn't come up in a while.

We decided to explore Medina's two-part claim.

Perry didn't — and couldn't — dispute Medina's reminder that he was once a Democrat. Perry, whose father was repeatedly elected as a Democrat to the Haskell County Commission, won his first election, to the Texas House in 1984, as a Democrat. He won re-election in 1986 and 1988 before switching parties to challenge Democratic Agricultural Commissioner Jim Hightower in 1990 — a race that Perry won in an upset.

In the debate, Perry didn't answer Medina's charge that he was Gore's campaign manager.

In fact, according to news accounts and Perry's campaign, Perry served as Gore's Texas campaign chairman in 1988.

What brought Perry to pitch in for Gore, whose candidacy washed out after he failed to do well outside his native South?

According to news reports at the time, many conservative Texas Democrats put stock in Gore’s campaign, among them former Gov. Dolph Briscoe and then-House Speaker Gib Lewis, who flew to Washington to endorse Gore.

PolitiFact Texas | Debra Medina claims Rick Perry was a Democrat and Al Gore's campaign manager

Texas Gov. Rick Perry

Born and raised on a West Texas ranch, Gov. Rick Perry stepped into George W. Bush's still-warm office in Austin as a poster child for the Lone Star State. He played quarterback for his high school football team, became a standout on the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M University, flew C-130s in the Air Force, married the first girl he ever dated and keeps an active hand in the Boy Scouts.

Perry, 50, is also a microcosm of recent trends in state politics. The state chairman of Al Gore's 1988 presidential bid, Perry comes from a family of Texas Democrats. His father was the Democratic commissioner of Haskell County and his great-great-grandfather served in the state legislature.

New Faces Replace Washington-Bound Governors

Looks like Romney isn't the only flip flopper in the field this year.

Rick Perry was Algore's campaign manager. Just because he wears a cowboy hat and shoots guns, that doesn't mean he's a conservative.

Oh and by the way, Obama the Warmongering Dick Tater needs to be impeached.

Debra Medina claims Rick Perry was a Democrat and Al Gore's campaign manager

GOP gubernatorial hopeful Debra Medina, a Wharton businesswoman, started a question to Gov. Rick Perry during Thursday night's GOP gubernatorial debate by pointing out he hasn't always been a Republican.

Medina said: "Governor, you were a Democrat, having worked for Al Gore as his campaign manager..."

The Gore-y chapter of Perry's political life hasn't come up in a while.

We decided to explore Medina's two-part claim.

Perry didn't — and couldn't — dispute Medina's reminder that he was once a Democrat. Perry, whose father was repeatedly elected as a Democrat to the Haskell County Commission, won his first election, to the Texas House in 1984, as a Democrat. He won re-election in 1986 and 1988 before switching parties to challenge Democratic Agricultural Commissioner Jim Hightower in 1990 — a race that Perry won in an upset.

In the debate, Perry didn't answer Medina's charge that he was Gore's campaign manager.

In fact, according to news accounts and Perry's campaign, Perry served as Gore's Texas campaign chairman in 1988.

What brought Perry to pitch in for Gore, whose candidacy washed out after he failed to do well outside his native South?

According to news reports at the time, many conservative Texas Democrats put stock in Gore’s campaign, among them former Gov. Dolph Briscoe and then-House Speaker Gib Lewis, who flew to Washington to endorse Gore.

PolitiFact Texas | Debra Medina claims Rick Perry was a Democrat and Al Gore's campaign manager

Texas Gov. Rick Perry

Born and raised on a West Texas ranch, Gov. Rick Perry stepped into George W. Bush's still-warm office in Austin as a poster child for the Lone Star State. He played quarterback for his high school football team, became a standout on the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M University, flew C-130s in the Air Force, married the first girl he ever dated and keeps an active hand in the Boy Scouts.

Perry, 50, is also a microcosm of recent trends in state politics. The state chairman of Al Gore's 1988 presidential bid, Perry comes from a family of Texas Democrats. His father was the Democratic commissioner of Haskell County and his great-great-grandfather served in the state legislature.

Looks like Perry did a good job for Gore, Al resembles the the nasty stuff that gets stuck to your shoe in a seedy west Hollywood peep show and Bush was our President for 8 years.
:clap2::clap2::clap2: Nice undercover work by Perry if you ask me.

Marines for Bachmann:clap2:

Texas Gov. Rick Perry

Looks like Perry did a good job for Gore, Al resembles the the nasty stuff that gets stuck to your shoe in a seedy west Hollywood peep show and Bush was our President for 8 years.
:clap2::clap2::clap2: Nice undercover work by Perry if you ask me.

Marines for Bachmann:clap2:

Can't say I disagree with your assessment of Bore. But the transparent flip flopping whenever it is politically expedient isn't likely to play when these skeletons in his closet are brought out into the light.

Sam Donaldson: "Mr. President, in talking about the continuing recession tonight, you have blamed mistakes in the past and you have blamed the Congress. Does any of the blame belong to you?"

Ronald Reagan: "Yes because for many years I was a Democrat."

For Many Years I Was A Democrat Sound Clip , Quote, MP3, and Ringtone

According to wiki...he switched in 1954...13 years prior to becoming the Governor of California and what, 26 years prior to becoming President? I doubt it was for political expediency..especially in California that the great Ronald Reagan switched parties. Its humorous when someone compares Rick Perry to Ronald Reagan.

I have long stated that Reagan shouldn't be on Mt. Rushmore...he should get his own mountain. As history moves further away from his Presidency, one can only admire it more in retrospect.

I count my visit to the Library as one of my favorite experiences in recent memory

****Edit...the RR Presidential Library that is...LOL

candycorn-albums-triton-picture3653-the-reason.jpg

Last edited:
Sam Donaldson: "Mr. President, in talking about the continuing recession tonight, you have blamed mistakes in the past and you have blamed the Congress. Does any of the blame belong to you?"

According to wiki...he switched in 1954...13 years prior to becoming the Governor of California and what, 26 years prior to becoming President? I doubt it was for political expediency..especially in California that the great Ronald Reagan switched parties. Its humorous when someone compares Rick Perry to Ronald Reagan.

I have long stated that Reagan shouldn't be on Mt. Rushmore...he should get his own mountain. As history moves further away from his Presidency, one can only admire it more in retrospect.

I count my visit to the Library as one of my favorite experiences in recent memory.

Perry switched 23 years ago, right? That was my only point. A lot of people have a change of heart/wisdom as they age.

I count my visit to the Library as one of my favorite experiences in recent memory.

Perry switched 23 years ago, right? That was my only point. A lot of people have a change of heart/wisdom as they age.

Perry switched while he was in politics.... again according to WIKI:

Texas Legislature

In 1984, Perry was elected to the Texas House of Representatives as a Democrat from a district (64) that included his home county of Haskell. He served on the House Appropriations and Calendars committees during his three two-year terms in office. He befriended fellow freshman state representative Lena Guerrero of Austin, a staunch liberal Democrat who endorsed Perry's reelection bid in 2006 on personal, rather than philosophical, grounds. Perry was part of the "Pit Bulls", a group of Appropriations members who sat on the lower dais in the committee room (or "pit") who pushed for austere state budgets during the 1980s.

Perry supported Al Gore in the 1988 Democratic presidential primaries and was chairman of the Gore campaign in Texas.

In 1989, The Dallas Morning News named him one of the most effective legislators in the 71st Legislature.[citation needed] That same year, Perry announced that he was joining the Republican Party.[14]

According to WIKI, Reagan switched allegiances in the 1950's then became governor in 1967...

I may be wrong (WIKI is often wrong) but I don't see where he took funding from the DNC, ran as a Democrat and, presumably some voted for him believing he shared their values, then swapped parties.

Also, in California where Hollywood is, it took some courage to switch to the GOP would you agree? Becoming a Republican in Texas is something along the same lines of the Colts offensive line endorsing Peyton Manning for Quarterback...you'd probably be kicked off the team if you were not on board.

While I would agree that there can be true to life changes of heart ; it looks really expedient when it is done while one is in office, after taking contributions, after portraying yourself one way to win an election...etc... etc...

Last edited:

Texas Legislature

In 1984, Perry was elected to the Texas House of Representatives as a Democrat from a district (64) that included his home county of Haskell. He served on the House Appropriations and Calendars committees during his three two-year terms in office. He befriended fellow freshman state representative Lena Guerrero of Austin, a staunch liberal Democrat who endorsed Perry's reelection bid in 2006 on personal, rather than philosophical, grounds. Perry was part of the "Pit Bulls", a group of Appropriations members who sat on the lower dais in the committee room (or "pit") who pushed for austere state budgets during the 1980s.

Perry supported Al Gore in the 1988 Democratic presidential primaries and was chairman of the Gore campaign in Texas.

In 1989, The Dallas Morning News named him one of the most effective legislators in the 71st Legislature.[citation needed] That same year, Perry announced that he was joining the Republican Party.[14]

According to WIKI, Reagan switched allegiances in the 1950's then became governor in 1967...

I may be wrong (WIKI is often wrong) but I don't see where he took funding from the DNC, ran as a Democrat and, presumably some voted for him believing he shared their values, then swapped parties.

Also, in California where Hollywood is, it took some courage to switch to the GOP would you agree? Becoming a Republican in Texas is something along the same lines of the Colts offensive line endorsing Peyton Manning for Quarterback...you'd probably be kicked off the team if you were not on board.

While I would agree that there can be true to life changes of heart ; it looks really expedient when it is done while one is in office, after taking contributions, after portraying yourself one way to win an election...etc... etc...

I'm not really sure the point of your thread. I don't see Perry's history as someone that was pretending to be a liberal. His father was liberal, so it is not surprising that he followed suit for a while. Perhaps as he got more involved, his convictions toward conservative ideology grew stronger. I wouldn't know whether his constituents felt betrayed or not.

That he switched parties 23 years ago doesn't seem all that important, imo, especially since I am not seeing anything "sensational" about switching over to the other side of the aisle.

Texas Legislature

I'm not really sure the point of your thread. I don't see Perry's history as someone that was pretending to be a liberal. His father was liberal, so it is not surprising that he followed suit for a while. Perhaps as he got more involved, his convictions toward conservative ideology grew stronger. I wouldn't know whether his constituents felt betrayed or not.
Thats true..point taken.

That he switched parties 23 years ago doesn't seem all that important, imo, especially since I am not seeing anything "sensational" about switching over to the other side of the aisle.

This is where I disagree. You take the funding from the (at least) state Democratic party then switch parties? Not too honest to say the very least. Sensational? Maybe but let me phrase it this way.

okay....

You hear that Politician X holds a district office in State government. And he decides to switch parties to run for a statewide office. His opponent is of his original party. That sounds opportunistic to me. Could it all be a coincidence? Sure...but he didn't give his constituents a chance to keep him/vote him out of office.

Did what Arlen Specter did--switching parties--sound on the up and up to you?

Thats true..point taken.

This is where I disagree. You take the funding from the (at least) state Democratic party then switch parties? Not too honest to say the very least. Sensational? Maybe but let me phrase it this way.

okay....

You hear that Politician X holds a district office in State government. And he decides to switch parties to run for a statewide office. His opponent is of his original party. That sounds opportunistic to me. Could it all be a coincidence? Sure...but he didn't give his constituents a chance to keep him/vote him out of office.

I've always thought the action of switching parties once elected is disingenuous, yes. I'm having a hard time figuring out if he switched mid-stream, however. Did he switch while serving, or when he planned to run for a new position?

Thats true..point taken.

okay....

Sounds remarkably similar to Sorry Charlie Crist, too
:eusa_whistle:

Thats true..point taken.

okay....

I've always thought the action of switching parties once elected is disingenuous, yes. I'm having a hard time figuring out if he switched mid-stream, however. Did he switch while serving, or when he planned to run for a new position?

I don't know if he finished his term...

I really don't.

I do know he left his State congressional district to run for state wide office. When he left, he also left the party.

Thats true..point taken.

okay....

It looks to me like he switched in order to run in 1990 as a Republican. He served three terms as a Democrat.

Rick Perry entered politics winning a seat in the Texas House of Representatives as a Democrat in 1984 (where he served for three terms). He switched his party affiliation at the age of 39 and won statewide election as a Republican three times before ascending to the governor’s mansion in 2001. After winning elective office nine times in Texas over the past twenty-five years, the national stage finally beckons.

Meet Rick Perry: Another George Bush?

Perry for President? Thats just f'ing brilliant. ANOTHER Texan not to mention he's a former Democrat. Another flip-flopper like Romney.

Forum List

Back