Rick Perry forgets number of Supreme Court judges

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008

On Friday, Perry criticized Obama for his two Supreme Court nominees. "When you see his appointment of two, from my perspective, inarguably activist judges, whether it was ..." he said, trailing off.

He paused for six seconds. "Not Montemayor," he said.

"Sotomayor," a member of the editorial board said.

"Sotomayor, Sotomayor," Perry said.

He went on to denounce "eight unelected and, frankly, unaccountable judges" in a discussion of prayer in schools. But nine justices sit on the Supreme Court; they are nominated by the president and confirmed by the Senate.

Similar gaffes have plagued Perry. Perhaps the most memorable was during a debate last month, when he couldn't remember one of three federal agencies he has pledged to abolish. As recently as Thursday, Perry had to correct himself after saying the United States is at war in Iran instead of Iraq.

Not surprising.

On Friday, Perry criticized Obama for his two Supreme Court nominees. "When you see his appointment of two, from my perspective, inarguably activist judges, whether it was ..." he said, trailing off.

Christ, can somebody make this guy some flash cards? Maybe get a crack team of high schoolers enrolled in an AP government class to bring him up to speed?

He went on to denounce "eight unelected and, frankly, unaccountable judges" in a discussion of prayer in schools. But nine justices sit on the Supreme Court; they are nominated by the president and confirmed by the Senate.

Similar gaffes have plagued Perry. Perhaps the most memorable was during a debate last month, when he couldn't remember one of three federal agencies he has pledged to abolish. As recently as Thursday, Perry had to correct himself after saying the United States is at war in Iran instead of Iraq.

Not surprising.

It could have been worse. What if he'd said 57 judges?

Perry does not think well under pressure. It is one of the reasons Newt Gingrich was able to bury him in the debates.

Forgetting the names of a few I can understand, but not knowing how many there are I can't understand.

Last edited:

Not surprising.

They always seem to go back to this. Here is the thing. Do you honestly think a constitutional lawyer thinks there are 57 states?

There is a difference between a gaffe and being a moron.

Get it or should I retype this 57 times?

I will cut him some slack and assume he meant eight justices and a Chief Justice

Perry is irrelevant now anyway

Why do people hammer away at this whole 57 state thing? Who hasn't has a slip of the tongue before? Who hasn't on occasion said "80" when they meant "18"? Who hasn't, on occasion, inadvertently spat out a word that was completely nonsensical at the time, because a split second before they heard it on the TV in the background and their mind had a split second distraction? When people cite such things as a reason to criticize a candidate it's downright pathetic. It's like grade schoolers trying to embarrass classmates for farting.

But Perry is doing more than having slips of the tongue. His behavior seriously calls into question his knowledge of the workings and structure of the federal government. He outright forgets entire government agencies that he wants to eliminate. I don't think he has yet to clue us in on what the third agency was. But he apparently plans to eliminate it if elected. I wonder if he even knows what it does. He can't remember the names of Supreme Court justices, but he's convinced that they're activist judges. Does he even know anything about the woman? How little has he been paying attention if he can't remember her name?

Don't get me wrong, we all have a momentary lapse of memory from time to time. But Perry seems to have an awful lot of them on both important and basic aspects of how the government runs. At the very least, he's too close to senility to be in charge of the football.

How funny this makes the news but we NEVER see about the Obama and ALL his gaffes..

makes you wonder eh?

but yet the tell us the media isn't left winged BIASED

Why do people hammer away at this whole 57 state thing? Who hasn't has a slip of the tongue before? Who hasn't on occasion said "80" when they meant "18"? Who hasn't, on occasion, inadvertently spat out a word that was completely nonsensical at the time, because a split second before they heard it on the TV in the background and their mind had a split second distraction? When people cite such things as a reason to criticize a candidate it's downright pathetic. It's like grade schoolers trying to embarrass classmates for farting.

But Perry is doing more than having slips of the tongue. His behavior seriously calls into question his knowledge of the workings and structure of the federal government. He outright forgets entire government agencies that he wants to eliminate. I don't think he has yet to clue us in on what the third agency was. But he apparently plans to eliminate it if elected. I wonder if he even knows what it does. He can't remember the names of Supreme Court justices, but he's convinced that they're activist judges. Does he even know anything about the woman? How little has he been paying attention if he can't remember her name?

Don't get me wrong, we all have a momentary lapse of memory from time to time. But Perry seems to have an awful lot of them on both important and basic aspects of how the government runs. At the very least, he's too close to senility to be in charge of the football.

I don't think Obama or Perry make any more gaffe's than the rest of us do.

But the media has establishe a meme. Perry goofs stuff up, so we will plow through hours and hours of tape and find these goofups.

But Obama lighting the Minorah two weeks early, blurting out his "Muslim" faith, 57 states, "Corpse-man", and being totally lost without a teleprompter, that gets a pass.

Why do people hammer away at this whole 57 state thing? Who hasn't has a slip of the tongue before? Who hasn't on occasion said "80" when they meant "18"?
How does one confuse 50 states with 57? I have never said "My Muslim faith" instead of "My Christian faith". How do you confuse those two?

There's "slip of the tongue" and then there's "forgetting what you have to lie about". That's what we see with Perry and Obama sometimes.

Last edited:
But Obama lighting the Minorah two weeks early, blurting out his "Muslim" faith, 57 states, "Corpse-man", and being totally lost without a teleprompter, that gets a pass.

It gets such a pass that none of us know anything about it and never talk about it, because it was never covered, and we have absolutely no knowledge of those events taking place.

Wait....

How does one confuse 50 states with 57? I have never said

That's not what happened. Do you even know what happened? Obviously not. Yet you fall into place and toe the line anyway.

"My Muslim faith" instead of "My Christian faith". How do you confuse those two?

Again, you don't even know what happened or what was said. You don't know the conversation of the context. Yet you are all too ready to fall into place and toe the line.

There's "slip of the tongue" and then there's "forgetting what you have to lie about".

Yeah, Obama forgot that he had to lie about how many states he's visited. That's a believeable story.

He went on to denounce "eight unelected and, frankly, unaccountable judges" in a discussion of prayer in schools.

Typical rightist idiot, it has been established and settled law for almost 50 years that prayer in public schools is a violation of the Establishment Clause. See: Engel v. Vitale (1962).

Perry does not think well under pressure.

The problem isn’t ‘pressure,’ it’s the thinking part – or lack thereof.

Forgetting the names of a few I can understand, but not knowing how many there are I can't understand.
Disagree – I believe it’s incumbent upon a presidential candidate to at least know the names of the current sitting justices.

Why do people hammer away at this whole 57 state thing?

At some point during the 2008 campaign the right contrived this nonsense that Obama's supporters perceived their candidate as being ‘perfect,’ ‘super-human,’ and ‘mistake-free’; this obviously in the context of GWB. Consequently, whenever Obama makes a mistake, the right draws attention to it, as proof that Obama is not infallible and similar criticism of Bush was unjustified.

It idiocy of this, of course, is the fact that no Obama supporter ever perceived the president to be ‘perfect,’ nor presented him as such.

Forum List

Back