Rick Perry Cites Joan Rivers' Death In Defense Of Controversial Anti-abortion Law

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
While speaking on HB2, a controversial law that would have required abortion facilities in Texas to meet hospital-level operating standards, Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) wondered if a similar law might have saved comedian Joan Rivers' life.

A federal judge halted the Texas abortion restrictions in late August, but the state isappealing the ruling. Perry signed the law in 2013 and defended it Sunday at theTexas Tribune Festival.

"Clearly, the will of the Texas Legislature -- which I agree with -- that it is a state's right to put particular types of considerations into place, to put rules and regulations into place, to make a clinic be as safe as a hospital," Perry said. "It was interesting that, when Joan Rivers, and the procedure that she had done where she died, that was a clinic. It's a curious thought that if they had had that type of regulations in place, whether or not that individual would be still alive."

The audience at the Tribune Festival can be heard murmuring in the video above after Perry's comments on Rivers. (The question starts at 1:00:41.)

More: Rick Perry Cites Joan Rivers Death In Defense Of Controversial Anti-Abortion Law

I understand his anti-choice agenda - but I fail to see any "logical" comparison.

They were taking selfies when Joan went under. I think Perry is just trying to say that clinics are not hospitals and put to the same scrutiny.

An abortion clinic like Gosnells for example should have been head off at the pass for all the atrocious shit he was able to get away with unless he had been held to a higher standard.

Why shouldn't clinics have the same standards as hospitals when delivering the same procedures?

"Rick Perry Cites Joan Rivers' Death In Defense Of Controversial Anti-abortion Law"

No further confirmation was needed of Perry's ignorance and stupidity.

States are required to enact measures in good faith that comport with the Constitution and its case law. This Texas measure is proposed in bad faith, seeking not to protect the lives of women but rather to violate their civil liberties.

The regulations advocated by Perry and others on the right hostile to the privacy rights of women are unwarranted and burdensome, as well as being devoid of any objective, documented evidence in support of restricting a woman's fundamental right to privacy, where the proposed measure is consequently un-Constitutional.

a controversial anti abortion

JUST who is it controversial to? maybe you people who make up these titles can tell us who they are?

you left wingers are so disingenuous with your titles

Oh ok now I see. it' from the HUFFERPUFFERPOST

They get to make IT UP as, CONTROVERSIAL.

The clinic Rivers was having this procedure done at did not have the proper equipment to deal with the complications she had he is saying any clinic needs by law to have the proper equipment to deal with possible complications not matter if it's an abortion or the type of procedure Rivers was having done which if the clinic had she might still be alive today.

Rivers would have lived if the clinic had an intubator and ventilator, or access to a nearby hospital that had one.

"According to a source close to the family, Rivers was given a clean bill of health prior to the surgery, and insiders believe she could have lived if the procedure that ultimately killed her had taken place at a hospital instead of an out-patient clinic."

Radar Online The Secret Reason Insiders Believe Joan Could Have Survived Surgery

The comparison makes perfect sense to anyone with critical thinking skills...unfortunately that excludes most liberals.

Rivers would have lived if the clinic had an intubator and ventilator, or access to a nearby hospital that had one.

"According to a source close to the family, Rivers was given a clean bill of health prior to the surgery, and insiders believe she could have lived if the procedure that ultimately killed her had taken place at a hospital instead of an out-patient clinic."

Radar Online The Secret Reason Insiders Believe Joan Could Have Survived Surgery

The comparison makes perfect sense to anyone with critical thinking skills...unfortunately that excludes most liberals.

So, are you saying Rick Perry is a smart man?

Well, he easily figure this out and you couldn't, so if he isn't smart, what does that make you?

Well, he easily figure this out and you couldn't, so if he isn't smart, what does that make you?

It warms my heart that Perry is so concerned for the health of pregnant women seeking abortions. God bless him.

"Rick Perry Cites Joan Rivers' Death In Defense Of Controversial Anti-abortion Law"

States are required to enact measures in good faith that comport with the Constitution and its case law. This Texas measure is proposed in bad faith, seeking not to protect the lives of women but rather to violate their civil liberties.

The regulations advocated by Perry and others on the right hostile to the privacy rights of women are unwarranted and burdensome, as well as being devoid of any objective, documented evidence in support of restricting a woman's fundamental right to privacy, where the proposed measure is consequently un-Constitutional.

You're stupidity is unwarranted but you have the right to express it...

It never ceases to amaze me how far someone will go to justify abortion...

How many women have died due to bad abortion practitioners dumbass?

How many of these young ladies mothers would you tell the facility was safe, prepared to deal with the problem?

You're stupidity is unwarranted but you have the right to express it...

It never ceases to amaze me how far someone will go to justify abortion...

How many women have died due to bad abortion practitioners dumbass?

How many of these young ladies mothers would you tell the facility was safe, prepared to deal with the problem?

You mean like before Roe v. Wade?

It warms my heart that Perry is so concerned for the health of pregnant women seeking abortions. God bless him.

Lakhota we know you are a guy trying to be a woman and first nations and make this situation even worse than forever when you attempt to jet yourself in to a woman's topic.

I'm not sure of the mileage but I would think it would only be prudent that an abortion clinic would be within a certain radius of a hospital to protect the patient.

Lakhota we know you are a guy trying to be a woman and first nations and make this situation even worse than forever when you attempt to jet yourself in to a woman's topic.

I'm not sure of the mileage but I would think it would only be prudent that an abortion clinic would be within a certain radius of a hospital to protect the patient.

Yeah, because the alternative is a coat hanger in a back alley.

They were taking selfies when Joan went under. I think Perry is just trying to say that clinics are not hospitals and put to the same scrutiny.

An abortion clinic like Gosnells for example should have been head off at the pass for all the atrocious shit he was able to get away with unless he had been held to a higher standard.

Why shouldn't clinics have the same standards as hospitals when delivering the same procedures?

As I understand it, Rivers' personal physician took the selfie and the biopsy that eventually killed Rivers.

Perry is ignorant, that or he has contempt for the Constitution and its case law.

Perry is at liberty to seek to end the practice of abortion, provided those efforts don't violate the Constitution and respect the privacy rights of women – the measure he advocates does neither.

Forum List

Back