Rick Perry Backs Off Social Security 'Ponzi Scheme' Comments

Rick Perry Backs Off Social Security 'Ponzi Scheme' Comments :lol:

WASHINGTON -- Texas governor and Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry recently walked back his claims that Social Security is a "Ponzi scheme," but other Republicans have made similar statements in recent months, saying the entitlement program is a "scheme" to take money from the American people.

Perry has previously taken a hard-line stance against Social Security. In his 2010 book, "Fed Up!" he suggested the program was unconstitutional, put in place "at the expense of respect for the Constitution and limited government." He also wrote that Social Security is "set up like an illegal Ponzi scheme."

Perry has since backed off. His spokesman, Ray Sullivan, told the Wall Street Journal Thursday that the book was not meant to reflect the governor's current views on Social Security.
<more>

The date of your article is 8-19-2011...dumbass.

You all at arguing over a month old lie.

Obviously Rick Perry didn't wall out back...as he just reiterated it two nights ago.

Let this be a lesson to you...when Political Junk and others post...you best check...double check...then check again.

Yeah like how you said Texas has a budget surplus yet you uncorked the whopper below in the sig line...actually the "surplus" was the whopper as we all know.

9,000 wildfires in Texas this year....is he a pyromaniac?

Here is exactly what I said.

"What I asked Governor Perry was “Considering state debt has nearly tripled and spending has increased by two thirds since you were governor, and also that ACORN considered your help their ‘proudest moment,’ what were the differences between him and the current liberal president?” As you can see, he immediately tried to excuse away the numbers."

That would be because it's not true...imagine that.

The Texas debt has doubled since 2001, not tripled.

And the reason is, according to Politifact, that infrastructure borrowing was allowed for the first time by voter referendum:
It turns out that transportation is responsible for most of the added debt load under Perry, increasing from basically nothing in 2000 to $11.8 billion outstanding as of Aug. 31 2009. That's because before 2001, the Texas Department of Transportation lacked the authority to borrow money to pay for road projects. Voters gave it that power in 2001 when they approved a constitutional amendment that Perry supported.

So the kid was wrong, and when Perry tried to explain the truth, the kid cut him off.

He had an agenda based on false information.

Now, are you done trying to deflect?

Check my work...I'm not trying to deceive anyone.

Unlike the OP in this thread.

Total BS.

"What I asked Governor Perry was “Considering state debt has nearly tripled and spending has increased by two thirds since you were governor, and also that ACORN considered your help their ‘proudest moment,’ what were the differences between him and the current liberal president?” As you can see, he immediately tried to excuse away the numbers."

And the reason is, according to Politifact, that infrastructure borrowing was allowed for the first time by voter referendum:
It turns out that transportation is responsible for most of the added debt load under Perry, increasing from basically nothing in 2000 to $11.8 billion outstanding as of Aug. 31 2009. That's because before 2001, the Texas Department of Transportation lacked the authority to borrow money to pay for road projects. Voters gave it that power in 2001 when they approved a constitutional amendment that Perry supported.

So the kid was wrong, and when Perry tried to explain the truth, the kid cut him off.

When CandyCorn is not busy being purposefully dense and making asinine assumptions, she's lying. It's just the way she is.

When CandyCorn is not busy being purposefully dense and making asinine assumptions, she's lying. It's just the way she is.

Fear is a strong motivator.

Yes, the Texas Debt has doubled under Perry. We got it. Thanks. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just quoting Missouri there.

Perry doubled the state's deficit. Are you calling her a liar?

WASHINGTON -- Texas governor and Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry recently walked back his claims that Social Security is a "Ponzi scheme," but other Republicans have made similar statements in recent months, saying the entitlement program is a "scheme" to take money from the American people.

Perry has previously taken a hard-line stance against Social Security. In his 2010 book, "Fed Up!" he suggested the program was unconstitutional, put in place "at the expense of respect for the Constitution and limited government." He also wrote that Social Security is "set up like an illegal Ponzi scheme."

Perry has since backed off. His spokesman, Ray Sullivan, told the Wall Street Journal Thursday that the book was not meant to reflect the governor's current views on Social Security.
<more>

He said it, repeated it and should stick by it.

He's just another neo-con sacrificing his integrity. The guy's pathetic.

How many times has Obama been for tax cuts, then against them and later for them?

Yeah like how you said Texas has a budget surplus yet you uncorked the whopper below in the sig line...actually the "surplus" was the whopper as we all know.

9,000 wildfires in Texas this year....is he a pyromaniac?

Just quoting Missouri there.

Perry doubled the state's deficit. Are you calling her a liar?

You said Missourian said there was a budget surplus in Texas and then recanted and said the budget deficit doubled. Missourian provided the source of your stupid sig line, why don't you provide the source for the first part of your accusation?

msnbc.com Video Player

At the end of this tape, Perry dodges a reporter, saying it was "misinformation". Foreward to 7min 52 seconds.
This was after his comments in the debate.

Last edited:
Sounds like Mr. Perry is more motivated to fix Social Security than Mr Obama. We need somebody to step up and make it work.

Why don't you start another thread about borrowing $11 billion dollars over 10 years after the voters passed a state-wide referendum to pay for infrastructure while the president is asking for another $450 billion after just spending a trillion dollars last year.

I won't hold my breath.

Now, are we done deflecting from this thread ?

Is anyone honestly surprised that he retracted his comments on it? I thought America loved him because of his "strong" words.......

This is the guy we want in?

Is anyone honestly surprised that he retracted his comments on it? I thought America loved him because of his "strong" words.......

This is the guy we want in?

The strong words have created a great discussion here today. A needed one.

<more>

Obviously Rick Perry didn't wall out back...as he just reiterated it two nights ago.

Let this be a lesson to you...when Political Junk and others post...you best check...double check...then check again.

Well.......if you call this "backing off"........then he did.......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mewFjbmmyc]Perry Fires At Rove & Romney: Social Security Is A "Ponzi Scheme" And A "Monstrous Lie" - YouTube[/ame]

Why don't you start another thread about borrowing $11 billion dollars over 10 years after the voters passed a state-wide referendum to pay for infrastructure while the president is asking for another $450 billion after just spending a trillion dollars last year.

I won't hold my breath.

I don't really know what you're talking about but the doubling of debt can't be good...unless you want to say, "at least" he didn't triple it.

Your words, not mine asswipe.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well.......if you call this "backing off"........then he did.......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mewFjbmmyc]Perry Fires At Rove & Romney: Social Security Is A "Ponzi Scheme" And A "Monstrous Lie" - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for posting that, I missed that part of the debate and forgot to go back and watch it.

I wouldn't call that backing off.

And I think Perry is one hundred percent right...if we want to keep Social Security, we are going to have to make changes.

Perry has proposed means testing...I hope he proposes making it a federal crime of felony fraud to use use SS money for anything but Social Security.

The government has to get their grubby paws out of the till.

I won't hold my breath.

I don't really know what you're talking about but the doubling of debt can't be good...unless you want to say, "at least" he didn't triple it.

Start a thread...I'll be happy to post in it.

I won't hold my breath.

Start a thread...I'll be happy to post in it.

Still have no idea what you're talking about.

Forum List

Back