Rick Mercer's Blog

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
Without a doubt, Rick Mercer is one of Canada's finest political satirists!

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Children are the Future but Beer is now.

Like so many Canadians I was appalled by Scott Reid’s comment about the proposed Conservative child care plan. In case you have been living under a rock and missed it, Scott recently quipped that under the plan parents could choose to spend their 25 dollar a week child care allowance on beer instead of child care. Clearly Scott is wrong. We all know that in this country it would be impossible to find a parent who would spend 25 bucks a week on beer. For starters a case of beer costs more than 25 bucks. A case of domestic is about 35 bucks and the trendier imports cost even more. I happen to know this because I drink beer. I don’t have kids so I have no idea what child care costs. I admit I’m surprised that 25 bucks a week will pay for daycare but what do I know.

While we all recognize and agree that Scott is an enemy of all that is holy, I feel there is a bigger issue at hand here.

In the stampede to condemn Scott and his comments about child care policy I have noticed a very real and very ugly sentiment sneaking into the national discourse. I am talking of course, about an anti-beer agenda.

I ask you Canada, since when is it okay to beat up beer drinkers?

I do not believe that just because someone said something stupid it should suddenly be open season on lovers of ale and lager.

We all have a responsibility to protect the most vulnerable in society and believe it or not this week the most vulnerable are the people you have a few pints with.

So I ask you: who will stand up for the beer drinker?

Not the Conservative party that’s for sure. In fact the Conservative party has made statements about beer this week that I believe are hurtful and in fact verge on hateful.

Conservative Child Care Critic Rona Ambrose called a press conference this week to condemn Scott Reid. That’s fine, but did she stop there? No. Rona Ambrose placed a warm case of Blue on a table and openly mocked both the product and those who consume it. She held a case of Blue up for ridicule! Is this a Canada you recognize? Imagine if she did this with a Jewish person or a homosexual or a midget? Shame Rona Shame.

Continued here

Scroll to the bottom of the page for some spectacular photography!

Forum List

Back