Richardson Pulls Out

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
Richardson to withdraw as Commerce secretary - Politics- msnbc.com

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, tapped in December by President-elect Barack Obama to serve as secretary of Commerce, has withdrawn his name for the position, citing a pending investigation into a company that has done business with his state.

"Let me say unequivocally that I and my Administration have acted properly in all matters and that this investigation will bear out that fact," he said Sunday in a report by NBC News' Andrea Mitchell. "But I have concluded that the ongoing investigation also would have forced an untenable delay in the confirmation process." He said he plans to continue in his role as governor. "I appreciate the confidence President-elect Obama has shown in me, and value our friendship and working partnership. I told him that I am eager to serve in the future in any way he deems useful. And like all Americans, I pray for his success and the success of our beloved country."

Obama said Sunday he accepted Richardson's decision to withdraw with 'deep regret.' "Governor Richardson is an outstanding public servant and would have brought to the job of Commerce Secretary and our economic team great insights accumulated through an extraordinary career in federal and state office," Obama said.

Richardson, 61, was United Nations ambassador and energy secretary during the Clinton administration, and he is in his second term as New Mexico's governor. He also served seven terms in the House of Representatives. If he had been confirmed by the Senate as secretary of Commerce, he would have taken over a sprawling department that oversees the National Weather Service, the Census Bureau, economic development programs and more. One of the nation's most prominent Hispanic politicians, Richardson had pledged at the time of his nomination — in English and Spanish — to work to renew the economy. Obama on Sunday gave no indication whom he might name to replace Richardson as the nominee but said "we must move quickly to fill the void left by Governor Richardson's decision." Please check back later for more details on this developing story.

How many Rs hung onto their seats while being procecuted let alone bailed out to avoid tainting the party and president?

Ah, what did I say weeks and weeks ago when a company tied to him for donations came under investigation.

Oh but I was merely a Obama hater.

Richardson doesn't have the personal qualities to be appointed on a high level team like that. He has no honor!

Obama said Sunday he accepted Richardson's decision to withdraw with 'deep regret.' "Governor Richardson is an outstanding public servant and would have brought to the job of Commerce Secretary and our economic team great insights accumulated through an extraordinary career in federal and state office," Obama said.
Translation: "I'm glad that problem is gone!"

Jesus was a reactionary seeking restoration between God and mand not a liberal at least not a 21st century American Liberal...

We got Ted Stevens and a pair of idiots one of whom mayor may not have inadvertently tapped someone's foot in the Men's room You've got Richardson, Blagovich, Dan the Furniture man Rostenkowski, the Check Kiting scandal and cold cash Jefferson. Oh and we generally clean our own house while it takes an FBI operation to get get your boys out in the open.

Jesus was a reactionary seeking restoration between God and mand not a liberal at least not a 21st century American Liberal...

We got Ted Stevens and a pair of idiots one of whom mayor may not have inadvertently tapped someone's foot in the Men's room You've got Richardson, Blagovich, Dan the Furniture man Rostenkowski, the Check Kiting scandal and cold cash Jefferson. Oh and we generally clean our own house while it takes an FBI operation to get get your boys out in the open.

We, centrists, have Lieberman, Jefferson and Bloomberg. Not too shabby.

Let's see lieberman is a leftwinger who like The clown at Vanity fair has only ever been right about one thing in his life and that is the War in Iraq. He isn't a centrist unless your definition is very loose, Bloomberg is a RINO. Which Jefferson?

Let's see lieberman is a leftwinger who like The clown at Vanity fair has only ever been right about one thing in his life and that is the War in Iraq. He isn't a centrist unless your definition is very loose, Bloomberg is a RINO. Which Jefferson?

Jumping Jim Jefferson. Republican, Rhode Island. He left the Republican Party in 2000 to go independent. It gave the Dems enough power in the Senate to control the Senate in the second half of 2000.

Hmmmm........the rat is abandoning the ship before it sinks........

I wonder if Obama's cabinet is gonna start ditching just like Bush's did during his last term? It's starting to look like it.

Another freaking Rino and he yielded control of the Dems to the Senate until 2003. If those are your heroes you really need desperately to checK your hole card...

Forum List

Back