Richard Leakey predicts evolution debate will soon be history

Lets get this science shit straight

Evolution is a FACT
Global warming is occurring
Cigarettes cause cancer
The world is round

Do you actually believe that or are you just being sarcastic...

There is absolutely no way to prove cigarettes cause cancer.

The strong majority of evidence supports the idea that solar cycles - NOT MAN - is responsible for "climate change."

There is really no evidence to support the idea that evolution even exists other than a bunch of monkey bones...

Of course the world is round - no one ever thought the Earth was flat. The idea of a flat Earth is a myth from a book.... Most civilized societies knew the Earth was round well before documented history. Every culture knew this... The Mayan are a perfect example.

:eek:

By: Frank Eltman, Associated Press NEW YORK (AP).-
Richard Leakey predicts skepticism over evolution will soon be history. Not that the avowed atheist has any doubts himself. Sometime in the next 15 to 30 years, the Kenyan-born paleoanthropologist expects scientific discoveries will have accelerated to the point that "even the skeptics can accept it." "If you get to the stage where you can persuade people on the evidence, that it's solid, that we are all African, that color is superficial, that stages of development of culture are all interactive," Leakey says, "then I think we have a chance of a world that will respond better to global challenges." Leakey, a professor at Stony Brook University on Long Island, recently spent several weeks in New York promoting the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya. The institute, where Leakey spends most of his time, welcomes researchers and scientists from around the world dedicated to unearthing the origins of mankind in an area rich with fossils. His friend, Paul Simon, performed at a May 2 fundraiser for the institute in Manhattan that collected more than $2 million. A National Geographic documentary on his work at Turkana aired this month on public television. Now 67, Leakey is the son of the late Louis and Mary Leakey and conducts research with his wife, Meave, and daughter, Louise. The family claims to have unearthed "much of the existing fossil evidence for human evolution."

More Information: Kenyan-born paleoanthropologist Richard Leakey predicts evolution debate will soon be history
Copyright © artdaily.org
Yesterday, I went to a rummage sail at a Christian fundamentalist church and was privy to a conversation between the minster and one of the parishioners. Believe me; 15 to 30 years will not be near long enough.

Evolution is a FACT
Cigarettes cause cancer
The world is round

The strong majority of evidence supports the idea that solar cycles - NOT MAN - is responsible for "climate change."

There is really no evidence to support the idea that evolution even exists other than a bunch of monkey bones...

Of course the world is round - no one ever thought the Earth was flat. The idea of a flat Earth is a myth from a book.... Most civilized societies knew the Earth was round well before documented history. Every culture knew this... The Mayan are a perfect example.

Actually Mr Nick -- I'll agree with a couple small qualifiers..

There is no ETHICAL way to absolutely prove that cigarettes cause cancer, because you'd have to control every other variable in the experiment. But we do KNOW that statistically your chances of getting cancer seem to increase greatly if you smoke. Whether that's because the smoking itself is carcinogenic OR because perhaps it depletes the body of some required substance or encourages the accumulation of existing carcinogens is up to the researchers to address.

And -- The Darwinian view of evolution -- limited as it is --- certainly describes processes that we can CONFIRM in nature. But that "natural selection" doesn't even BEGIN to address why the only huge increase in brain capacity happened for homo sapiens. Certainly, being smart is an obvious "selector". Shouldn't we be seeing genius Kangaroos by now??

And it DOESN'T address the genesis issue of the family tree and FORCE all life to have a common ancestor.. That only is AN assumption that evolution requires that as a pre-condition...

Bull Shit

There is abundant fossil and DNA evidence

There is zero fossil evidence. Claiming other wise is foolish at best. As for DNA evidence if we use that then man evolved from something that also spawned pigs as well. And of course other stupid shit like that.

Did you kn ow that according to DNA at least 4 very small dog breads are not even dogs?

There is abundant evidence of multiple species sharing common ancestors. Both fossil and DNA.

There is NO fossil evidence that provides a link to man and any other species. Or perhaps you can win the Nobel by providing it for us. There is no fossil evidence linking any mammal to an entirely different species that it supposedly evolved from. Again you should provide us with the evidence so you can win that Nobel.

Not the theory that one mammal species evolves into 2 or more distinctly different species. There is zero evidence to support it.
Nonsense:

Aegyptopithecus

Evolution still cannot explain how all of this was put into motion. It simply claims random chance. No scientist should accept random chance as an answer to their theory.

It doesn’t need to, and you otherwise exhibit your ignorance of evolution.

The mistake many make is trying to understand the evolutionary process in the context of what they perceive to be a static Earth; the Earth is constantly changing, life merely follows suit to survive. Evolution is the process by which organisms adapt to ever-changing environments. Without evolution life would have been extinguished on this planet eons ago.

Not the theory that one mammal species evolves into 2 or more distinctly different species. There is zero evidence to support it.
Nonsense:

Aegyptopithecus

Evolution still cannot explain how all of this was put into motion. It simply claims random chance. No scientist should accept random chance as an answer to their theory.

It doesn’t need to, and you otherwise exhibit your ignorance of evolution.

The mistake many make is trying to understand the evolutionary process in the context of what they perceive to be a static Earth; the Earth is constantly changing, life merely follows suit to survive. Evolution is the process by which organisms adapt to ever-changing environments. Without evolution life would have been extinguished on this planet eons ago.

Your link does not prove anything. It is an assumption about that creature being a link with absolutely no fossil records to support it and dubious DNA proof.

Again science has found, using DNA that 4 dog breeds are in fact not even dogs. Who ya gonna believe some scientist that claims a dog is not a dog, or the dog itself?

What you are talking about is adaptation to the environment.

Adaptation is not evolution.

Evolution occurs with in a species. That is pretty cut and dried, lots of evidence including fossil to support it. There is NO evidence without numerous assumptions and guesses that provides concrete proof that a single mammal species has ever evolved into 2 or more distinctly DIFFERENT species.

There is zero fossil evidence. Claiming other wise is foolish at best. As for DNA evidence if we use that then man evolved from something that also spawned pigs as well. And of course other stupid shit like that.

Did you kn ow that according to DNA at least 4 very small dog breads are not even dogs?

There is abundant evidence of multiple species sharing common ancestors. Both fossil and DNA.

There is NO fossil evidence that provides a link to man and any other species. Or perhaps you can win the Nobel by providing it for us. There is no fossil evidence linking any mammal to an entirely different species that it supposedly evolved from. Again you should provide us with the evidence so you can win that Nobel.
Sure there is. Is it proof? Probably enough for most scientists, but it would never be enough evidence to convince the faithful, because it goes against fundamental religious beliefs.

The idea of a "missing link" between humans and so-called "lower" animals remains lodged in the public imagination. The search for a fossil showing transitional traits between apes and humans, however, was fruitless until the young Dutch geologist Eugène Dubois found a skullcap, a molar and a femur on the banks of Solo River, Java in 1891. The find combined a low, ape-like skull roof with a brain estimated at around 1000 cc, midway between that of a chimpanzee and an adult man. The single molar was larger than any modern human tooth, but the femur was long and straight, with a knee angle showing that "Java man" had walked upright.[56] Given the name Pithecanthropus erectus ("erect ape-man"), it became the first in what is now a long list of human evolution fossils. At the time it was hailed by many as the "missing link", helping set the term as primarily used for human fossils, though it is sometimes used for other intermediates.
Transitional fossil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Evolution is a FACT
Cigarettes cause cancer
The world is round

Actually Mr Nick -- I'll agree with a couple small qualifiers..

There is no ETHICAL way to absolutely prove that cigarettes cause cancer, because you'd have to control every other variable in the experiment. But we do KNOW that statistically your chances of getting cancer seem to increase greatly if you smoke. Whether that's because the smoking itself is carcinogenic OR because perhaps it depletes the body of some required substance or encourages the accumulation of existing carcinogens is up to the researchers to address.

And -- The Darwinian view of evolution -- limited as it is --- certainly describes processes that we can CONFIRM in nature. But that "natural selection" doesn't even BEGIN to address why the only huge increase in brain capacity happened for homo sapiens. Certainly, being smart is an obvious "selector". Shouldn't we be seeing genius Kangaroos by now??

And it DOESN'T address the genesis issue of the family tree and FORCE all life to have a common ancestor.. That only is AN assumption that evolution requires that as a pre-condition...

That is the problem with smoking - we don't know what even causes cancer. An individual could be a non-smoker and get cancer at 25 and a person who has been smoking for 85 years and is 100 could be healthy as an 18-year old.....

Potentially and it may be possible that smoking could (if you have the cancer gene) speed up the process but that cant be proven.

If you're a non-smoker an occasional smoke will certainly not harm you. The lungs are regenerative tissue - meaning they, well... regenerate..... most of your organs do.

As far as evolution...... It's never been observed in humans.... Linking humans to primates is just silly. Sure there are fossils that suggest the idea but no one can call it "fact." The evidence just doesn't suggest that.... All the evidence shows is that there were different species living on Earth before humans existed.

Besides I think Darwin contradicts himself, not to mention he is a product of inbreeding, which I find kinda ironic....

The biggest problem I have with evolution is the fact that Humans and Neanderthals existed at the same time.

That puts a big dent in the theory of evolution, and I'm not satisfied with the majority of the half-assed explanations for that boggle.

Sticking your head in the sand doesn't help you win arguments. There is abundant fossil evidence showing a progression of man from simpler creatures. Recently, that fossil evidence has been verified through DNA

The biggest problem I have with evolution is the fact that Humans and Neanderthals existed at the same time.

That puts a big dent in the theory of evolution, and I'm not satisfied with the majority of the half-assed explanations for that boggle.

Mr Nick, your daily posts here prove that humans and Neanderthals still do coexist

I don't see that as a problem. Evolution is a very slow non-uniform process. Evolution is driven by natural selection and mutation so naturally neanderthals and modern day humans would exist during the same time period. Neanderthal traits began to appear about 600,000 years ago and last evidence of neanderthals was about 30,000 years ago. The first evidence of modern man was about 200,000 years ago.

I don't see that as a problem. Evolution is a very slow non-uniform process. Evolution is driven by natural selection and mutation so naturally neanderthals and modern day humans would exist during the same time period. Neanderthal traits began to appear about 600,000 years ago and last evidence of neanderthals was about 30,000 years ago. The first evidence of modern man was about 200,000 years ago.
But cons think the earth is 5,000 years old, so they won't buy that argument.

But cons think the earth is 5,000 years old, so they won't buy that argument.
It use to be 5,000. Now it's 6,000 but no more that 7,000 but whose counting. Maybe in another 50 years someone will come up with a biblical interpretation that adds about 6 zeros. The sea monsters God created in Genesis might become prehistorical creatures but then again, they might just remain sea monsters.

Richard Leakey predicts skepticism over evolution will soon be history. Not that the avowed atheist has any doubts himself. Sometime in the next 15 to 30 years, the Kenyan-born paleoanthropologist expects scientific discoveries will have accelerated to the point that "even the skeptics can accept it." "If you get to the stage where you can persuade people on the evidence, that it's solid, that we are all African, that color is superficial, that stages of development of culture are all interactive," Leakey says, "then I think we have a chance of a world that will respond better to global challenges." Leakey, a professor at Stony Brook University on Long Island, recently spent several weeks in New York promoting the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya. The institute, where Leakey spends most of his time, welcomes researchers and scientists from around the world dedicated to unearthing the origins of mankind in an area rich with fossils. His friend, Paul Simon, performed at a May 2 fundraiser for the institute in Manhattan that collected more than $2 million. A National Geographic documentary on his work at Turkana aired this month on public television. Now 67, Leakey is the son of the late Louis and Mary Leakey and conducts research with his wife, Meave, and daughter, Louise. The family claims to have unearthed "much of the existing fossil evidence for human evolution."

More Information: Kenyan-born paleoanthropologist Richard Leakey predicts evolution debate will soon be history
Copyright © artdaily.org
Yesterday, I went to a rummage sail at a Christian fundamentalist church and was privy to a conversation between the minster and one of the parishioners. Believe me; 15 to 30 years will not be near long enough.
Christian fundamentalist is the key words here.....:eusa_eh:

Copyright © artdaily.org
Christian fundamentalist is the key words here.....:eusa_eh:
Exactly -

"Goddamn it, John ... the Republicans are selling their soul to win elections ... Mark my word ... if and when these preachers get control of the party, and they’re sure trying to do so, it’s going to be a terrible damn problem." -- Barry Goldwater as told to John Dean

Forum List

Back