Rich or poor, who is more likely to be dishonest?

Vast LWC

<-Mohammed
Aug 4, 2009
New York
Apparently, according to these studies, the answer is rich folk:

Vitals - Rich people more likely to cheat, behave badly, research finds

In a series of experiments, University of California at Berkeley researchers showed again and again that upper-class individuals were more prone to unethical behavior than people from more deprived backgrounds, according to the study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Fascinating.

Both ends of the spectrum will tend to be more dishonest.

the upper end of the spectrum though can buy their way out of a lot of the results of their dishonesty.

Nope poor people ar more honest.

Rich people will defend lies to keep their money

Depends I think on the Geography of the poor. The urban poor, likely dishonest.
Your backwoods West Virginia coming down out of thar "hollars" poor...not so much. With the exception of sex with relatives and moonshining, very law abiding people :lol:

In a series of experiments, University of California at Berkeley researchers showed again and again that upper-class individuals were more prone to unethical behavior than people from more deprived backgrounds, according to the study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Fascinating.

Based upon my personal experiences, I have seen no difference in the rich or the poor, when it comes to integrity.

The only part of that study I really agree with is the finding that people with expensive cars are more aggressive drivers. I lived in Palm Beach long enough to know it to be the truth. The people with the Jags were the worst, it's like they thought that normal rules did not apply.

If I had to pick one over the other I would pick the poor, as they have the most to gain from playing the system.

But in reality this question really doesn't matter.

The dice example in this study is really stupid. Does it really matter if you lie if it hurts no one? Who are they hurting by lying about their score for a $50 gift card? It's like the old not always being honest when a lady asks you how she looks.

Fascinating.

obama

If I had to pick one over the other I would pick the poor, as they have the most to gain from playing the system.

The poor have the most to gain? You mean individually? For a poor person to steal $10,000 he would have to rob a bank, all a rich person would have to do is go to his job at the bank. White collar crime is pretty damned destructive, widespread, and relatively safe.

I think it all depends on the subject, I agree with the article that the feeling of entitlement is going to be more prevalent in rich people so they may feel they "deserve" more but a poor person I would think is more likely to lie at the job if it meant losing their job or keeping it.

All depends on the subject and situation.

The poor have the most to gain? You mean individually? For a poor person to steal $10,000 he would have to rob a bank, all a rich person would have to do is go to his job at the bank. White collar crime is pretty damned destructive, widespread, and relatively safe.

I wasn't speaking of crime as a comparison. And even if I were the prison system would disagree with you. Lies don't always involve money.

I'm poor and honest, on the other hand, TM is a rich, rental property owner and she's as dishonest and disingenuous as they come. ....

-- money seems to have a deleterious effect on ethics in most cases, Piff says.

The solution? He suggests mandatory ethics classes for people studying economics and business.

Maybe that's why Marx came up with Communism ??? ... (what a bore) - controlled / competitive Capitalism is better, just avoid becoming a jerk while reaching the top.

I wasn't speaking of crime as a comparison. And even if I were the prison system would disagree with you. Lies don't always involve money.

Sure you were, is not gaming the system in most cases a crime for poor people? The laws for fraud are pretty clear cut for regular people, not so when it comes to people who handle other people's money.

Sure you were, is not gaming the system in most cases a crime for poor people? The laws for fraud are pretty clear cut for regular people, not so when it comes to people who handle other people's money.

Gaming the system as in lying on job applications. Lying to a Dr to get drugs or out of work. Etc....

We lose more tax dollars from tax cheats than welfare cheats

Gaming the system as in lying on job applications. Lying to a Dr to get drugs or out of work. Etc....

No one is totally honest, except myself of course, but when you look at who has the most to gain from cheating the system it is certainly the group that has access to the money and paperwork and the least risk of getting caught.

Forum List

Back