Rice tells Cain to stop playing the race card

I am the son of a black man from Kenya and a white woman from Kansas. I was raised with the help of a white grandfather who survived a Depression to serve in Patton's Army during World War II and a white grandmother who worked on a bomber assembly line at Fort Leavenworth while he was overseas. I've gone to some of the best schools in America and lived in one of the world's poorest nations. I am married to a black American who carries within her the blood of slaves and slaveowners - an inheritance we pass on to our two precious daughters. I have brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, uncles and cousins, of every race and every hue, scattered across three continents, and for as long as I live, I will never forget that in no other country on Earth is my story even possible.

Throughout the first year of this campaign, against all predictions to the contrary, we saw how hungry the American people were for this message of unity. Despite the temptation to view my candidacy through a purely racial lens, we won commanding victories in states with some of the whitest populations in the country. In South Carolina, where the Confederate Flag still flies, we built a powerful coalition of African Americans and white Americans.

This is not to say that race has not been an issue in the campaign. At various stages in the campaign, some commentators have deemed me either "too black" or "not black enough." We saw racial tensions bubble to the surface during the week before the South Carolina primary. The press has scoured every exit poll for the latest evidence of racial polarization, not just in terms of white and black, but black and brown as well.

And yet, it has only been in the last couple of weeks that the discussion of race in this campaign has taken a particularly divisive turn.

On one end of the spectrum, we've heard the implication that my candidacy is somehow an exercise in affirmative action; that it's based solely on the desire of wide-eyed liberals to purchase racial reconciliation on the cheap. On the other end, we've heard my former pastor, Reverend Jeremiah Wright, use incendiary language to express views that have the potential not only to widen the racial divide, but views that denigrate both the greatness and the goodness of our nation; that rightly offend white and black alike.

I have already condemned, in unequivocal terms, the statements of Reverend Wright that have caused such controversy. For some, nagging questions remain. Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course. Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes. Did I strongly disagree with many of his political views? Absolutely - just as I'm sure many of you have heard remarks from your pastors, priests, or rabbis with which you strongly disagreed.

But the remarks that have caused this recent firestorm weren't simply controversial. They weren't simply a religious leader's effort to speak out against perceived injustice. Instead, they expressed a profoundly distorted view of this country - a view that sees white racism as endemic, and that elevates what is wrong with America above all that we know is right with America; a view that sees the conflicts in the Middle East as rooted primarily in the actions of stalwart allies like Israel, instead of emanating from the perverse and hateful ideologies of radical Islam.

As such, Reverend Wright's comments were not only wrong but divisive, divisive at a time when we need unity; racially charged at a time when we need to come together to solve a set of monumental problems - two wars, a terrorist threat, a falling economy, a chronic health care crisis and potentially devastating climate change; problems that are neither black or white or Latino or Asian, but rather problems that confront us all.

Given my background, my politics, and my professed values and ideals, there will no doubt be those for whom my statements of condemnation are not enough. Why associate myself with Reverend Wright in the first place, they may ask? Why not join another church? And I confess that if all that I knew of Reverend Wright were the snippets of those sermons that have run in an endless loop on the television and You Tube, or if Trinity United Church of Christ conformed to the caricatures being peddled by some commentators, there is no doubt that I would react in much the same way

Really? When did Obama play the race card? Details, details.

He did..but it was pre-emptive. Didn't stop the Republicans from painting him as a spooky scary marxist muslim kenyan who's agenda was to destroy America.

But Cain has no real reason to do this..America has already elected a black president. So the cherry has been broken. :eusa_shhh:
When? When did he get on TV and tell people that he was being accused of something simply because he was black?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLI7QjBRKRs]Desperate Obama Openly Using the Race Card - YouTube[/ame]

Man, Ravi, really?

"Oh yeah, and did I mention he is black?"
Obama said that? When?

His little campaign speech where he talked about his "funny name"...etc.

here is the link.

Wow....funny how you didnt know about it.

I thought you were wqell versed in the last presidential election.

Or does your media decide what you should andf should not know about?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...99CenrQZtNqdgo3LQ&sig2=gjIg-xxs0Ut8LJfyQohwQQ

He did..but it was pre-emptive. Didn't stop the Republicans from painting him as a spooky scary marxist muslim kenyan who's agenda was to destroy America.

But Cain has no real reason to do this..America has already elected a black president. So the cherry has been broken. :eusa_shhh:

excuse me...but he did not offer it up....he was specifically asked if he believed the allegations were a product of him being black. And he said yes.

Now...are you saying he doesnt have the right to believe his race was used against him?

Why is he not allowed to believe that?

Oh that's not the only time Cain has brought it up. Gosh.

"So nobody really thinks that Bush or McCain have a real answer for the challenges we face, so what they're going to try to do is make you scared of me. You know, he's not patriotic enough. He's got a funny name. You know, he doesn't look like all those other presidents on those dollar bills, you know. He's risky. That's essentially the argument they're making." Barack Obama, 2008

He's young and inexperienced and he's got a funny name. And did I mention he's black?" Barack Obama, 2008

"Oh yeah, and did I mention he is black?"
Obama said that? When?

see what I mean?

The right used the "race card" phrase whenever someone talks about racism.

It has become their blanket statement any time there is an attempt to work through the problems of race relations.

They dont want us to solve the issue.

they want a festering sore that they can pick at any time they need to drum up their base.

When? When did he get on TV and tell people that he was being accused of something simply because he was black?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLI7QjBRKRs]Desperate Obama Openly Using the Race Card - YouTube[/ame]

Man, Ravi, really?
LOL, okay, I never saw that one.

That's one example. According to CG, he does it every day.

Obama said that? When?

here is the link.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...99CenrQZtNqdgo3LQ&sig2=gjIg-xxs0Ut8LJfyQohwQQ
No, I was a Hillary supporter. I only voted for Obama because of Sarah Palin.

Obama said that? When?

see what I mean?

It has become their blanket statement any time there is an attempt to work through the problems of race relations.

they want a festering sore that they can pick at any time they need to drum up their base.

lol.

I was asked to support my claim...and so I did...and now you are accusing me of not wanting to solve the issue...when, in fact, one of my first posts in here was saying how I am glad the member of a party (Rice) is calling out a member of her own party (Cain) for using the racecard.

Jeez.....you just want to argue.

Man, Ravi, really?
LOL, okay, I never saw that one.

That's one example. According to CG, he does it every day.

I said he did it a lot during the campaign. I didn't say he 'does it every day'. But, frankly, to deny that he used the race card during his election is ridiculous.

Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Herman Cain should not be playing the race card in an interview aired after the former pizza executive said he is being attacked by liberals for his race but not by conservatives.

"I actually am someone who-- doesn't believe in playing the race card on either side. I've seen it played, by the way, on the other side quite a lot too. And it's not good for the country," Rice told CBS' Norah O'Donnell in an interview that aired on CBS' "The Early Show" on Wednesday.

Asked on Tuesday if race had anything to do with the allegation of sexual harassment more than a decade ago, Cain told Fox News analyst Charles Krauthammer "I believe the answer is yes, but we do not have any evidence to support it."

Condoleezza Rice to Cain: Don't play the race card - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Oh, so demonRats can play the race card but Republicans cannot.. we got it. :lol:

here is the link.

Fair enough...but this was after Obama won the primary....and was a candidate.....and he not only used the race card....but he used in the context of claiming theta the GOP was going to say it...when in fact, not only didnt they....but it ws ONLY OBAMA who said it.

Now THAT is creatring an art form with the race card.

see what I mean?

lol.

I was asked to support my claim...and so I did...and now you are accusing me of not wanting to solve the issue...when, in fact, one of my first posts in here was saying how I am glad the member of a party (Rice) is calling out a member of her own party (Cain) for using the racecard.

Nah, she just can't face reality at times.

You are kidding me, right?

There isn't enough bandwidth to cover every play of the race card by the Messiah. Every fucking day, a new card. The difference was that you didn't see it. You see it now though... because Cain's a black conservative instead of a black liberal.
So you have no examples.

I knew you couldn't come up with any.

Poor Coliflower Girl. She says

There isn't enough bandwidth to cover every play of the race card by the Messiah.

And then posts not one single thing

Rice is correct.
And I see you agree with Rice as well.
So how do you feel about it when it is used by the other side? The same way?
Or do you believe it is not used by the other side?

Well she would be if it were on record of her calling obama out for playing the race card, but she didn't did she?

see what I mean?

lol.

The race card phrase is a racist phrase and if she was truely concerned about racism she would not use the language of racists.

here is the link.

Fair enough...but this was after Obama won the primary....and was a candidate.....and he not only used the race card....but he used in the context of claiming theta the GOP was going to say it...when in fact, not only didnt they....but it ws ONLY OBAMA who said it.

Now THAT is creatring an art form with the race card.

Yep. It was most definitely Obama who made the race card into an art form. Cain is an amateur in comparison. But, if it was acceptable for Obama, then it is acceptable for Cain... unless Ravi wants to be hypocritical.

Forum List

Back