Rhetorical Question - but WTF is WRONG with people?

Stouffers is good, Pale, but I wish I could give you some of my homemade mac & cheese. It's my MIL's recipe, and it's darn good.

Oh don't TEASE me. I LOVE mac & cheese. If you've got a recipe for a better mac & cheese than Stouffer's, SHARE IT!!! :food1:

Oh don't TEASE me. I LOVE mac & cheese. If you've got a recipe for a better mac & cheese than Stouffer's, SHARE IT!!! :food1:

You used to be able to buy this EXTRA sharp white cheddar at meat counters. It came in a large wheel and the butcher would slice off a slab for you. That stuff made killer Mac & Cheese...recipe was very simple too.

You used to be able to buy this EXTRA sharp white cheddar at meat counters. It came in a large wheel and the butcher would slice off a slab for you. That stuff made killer Mac & Cheese...recipe was very simple too. I haven't seen any in ages though.

The best mac & cheese is Stouffer's mac & cheese. It's to die for, and if you put anything else on it, you're defiling it, and should court marshalled, shot, and sent to the Russian front. :D

Chopped onion on a toasted cheese. Hmmm, sounds good. I'll have to try it.

I liked Joz's suggestion about using a stronger cheese like Colby. I think that would compliment the onion even better. :)

Holy freakin' GOD Stephanie... what in blue blazes ever gave you the inclination to live in such a place?

:laugh: Ex hubby's job brought us here, now my 13yr old son keeps me here..
Am seriously considering moving though. I just don't know when...

Ohio is great! Gorgeous this time of year. And plenty of conservatives around. ;)

I grew up in Illinois, but I'm looking at Missouri. I have a sis there..Been awhile since I've lived close to any relatives...
My dilemma is the kid wants to stay here...His dad is still here...I'm pretty much tired of the winter's here, but I have a good job and friends here...I'm torn....:thup:

I grew up in Illinois, but I'm looking at Missouri. I have a sis there..Been awhile since I've lived close to any relatives...
My dilemma is the kid wants to stay here...His dad is still here...I'm pretty much tired of the winter's here, but I have a good job and friends here...I'm torn....:thup:

How old are you and how old is your son? Do you own a house? Have equity in it?

My advice? Don't move. I moved two years ago and it was the biggest mistake of my life.

How bad are the winters there? I live in Southern New England so our winters aren't that bad. Some years we get a lot of snow, some years we don't. The first year I lived in this house I couldn't use the garage and that winter was horrific. Seemed like it snowed everyday. My previous house had a garage so I hadn't had to deal with kind of thing in ten years. It was very tough.

This last winter was breeze. I could use the garage so, of course, it rarely snowed. But having a garage makes a huge difference.

I assume you must have a garage if the place you live has such bad winters.

This is my favorite dish of all time. Just try it. And, yes, you have to use the SPAM. I've made it with chicken, pork, and plain, and it's just not the same.

2 cups of elbow macaroni
1 small can of Spam
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
2 slices American cheese
salt and pepper

Cook macaroni according to package directions.

Melt the butter and flour and stir constantly for two minutes to cook out the raw flavor of the flour. While you're doing that, put the milk in the microwave on high. Slowly add the milk a little at a time, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Add the 2 slices of American cheese and keep stirring. Dice the Spam into little chunks and add to the sauce.

When the macaroni is done drain it. Add the sauce to it. You can either eat it that way immediately, or you can put it in a baking dish, cover it with breadcrumbs and melted butter, and bake in oven at 350 for about 15 minutes until the breadcrumbs brown. It's great either way.

It's the ONLY way I ever eat Spam and it's delicious.

How old are you and how old is your son? Do you own a house? Have equity in it?

My advice? Don't move. I moved two years ago and it was the biggest mistake of my life.

How bad are the winters there? I live in Southern New England so our winters aren't that bad. Some years we get a lot of snow, some years we don't. The first year I lived in this house I couldn't use the garage and that winter was horrific. Seemed like it snowed everyday. My previous house had a garage so I hadn't had to deal with kind of thing in ten years. It was very tough.

This last winter was breeze. I could use the garage so, of course, it rarely snowed. But having a garage makes a huge difference.

I assume you must have a garage if the place you live has such bad winters.

I'm 51, son will be 13...He was quite a surprise when I was 37:shocked:
But it's all good...

We have a heated garage here, or we all have our car's equipped with block and oil pan heater's, because you have to plug your cars in up here...
Even some of the grocery stores have heater plug in's for customer...
If you don't plug your car in it will kill your engine.. If you don't plug in at 50below and you go somewhere, you have to go out and warm your engine up every hour and half, or you can forget about it starting..
The average temp in by about Nov thru middle of April is -20to -30 below zero..
But we have some spells in there with some weeks of -40to -50 below zero..
The other thing up here is there's around two and half months of almost total darkness... The sun will show through at around 11am and set again at around 3:30pm.
So combine the temps and the lack of sun it can make you:cuckoo:

I do want to move, but I'm also not looking forward to having to start over again...It would be good to be near the sis though...If I moved the kid wants to stay with his dad....So that's something I have to struggle with?? His dad and I get along very good since after divorce, and he loves his son....
So anyway, that's it all wrapped up in a nutshell.......

But it's all good...

We have a heated garage here, or we all have our car's equipped with block and oil pan heater's, because you have to plug your cars in up here...
If you don't plug your car in it will kill your engine.. If you don't plug in at 50below and you go somewhere, you have to go out and warm your engine up every hour and half, or you can forget about it starting..
The other thing up here is there's around two and half months of almost total darkness... The sun will show through at around 11am and set again at around 3:30pm.

I do want to move, but I'm also not looking forward to having to start over again...It would be good to be near the sis though...If I moved the kid wants to stay with his dad....So that's something I have to struggle with?? His dad and I get along very good since after divorce, and he loves his son....

Wow. That's different. I'll never complain about my winters again.

My daughter is 13 now and the move was a huge mistake for her and she wanted to move.

It's a tough decision. But if your son wants to stay with his father that would be the best thing for him. He's getting to the age where he's not going to want to have much to do with either of you anyway. His friends will be much more important.

I remember my grandfather telling me that when I was about 10. I worshipped my Grampa and I spent as much time as I could with him. One day he told me that as I grew up I wouldn't want to come around so much anymore. I'd make friends and I'd want to be with them. I couldn't imagine that ever happening.

But he was right. As I got into my teen years I saw less and less of my grandparents. When I was about 15 my Grampa had a heart attack and we all thought he was going to die. I hadn't seen him is so long I couldn't remember what he looked like. He lived for almost 20 more years so I made sure I saw him on a regular basis. He was a mean cribbage player.

My parents? Phish. They were just an occasional annoyance that I put up with.

Good luck on your decision.

But it's all good...

I'm 51 too Stephanie. My son is 27. I'm flying him up from Phoenix for a week for his birthday. He'll be 28 on the third.

I've moved so many times I'm sick of it. Mainly due to the military though. Then because I always believed the grass was greener on the other side of the hill. Well... it was and it wasn't. Anytime I ever lived back east, I seemed to spin my wheels. Everytime I lived out west, I seemed to flourish. Some of the most beautiful country I'd ever seen in my life was northern California and the Sierra mountains/high dessert. I picked Reno, Nevada because I don't like extreme cold, and I don't like extreme hot, and Reno is situated not up north, and not down south, so our weather is really a nice middle ground thing. I absolutely love it here, and I'll never leave.
I've been to Missouri, and it's procimity north and south is similiar to Nevada. Problem there is it's right dead center in tornado alley. They get some really wicked weather there.
In any case, if I was you, I'd want to get the hell out of where you're at too. Extreme cold and light depravation does sound like a recipe from hell. It'd drive me nuts for sure.

Good luck with whatever you decide and where ever you go Steph.

This is my favorite dish of all time. Just try it. And, yes, you have to use the SPAM. I've made it with chicken, pork, and plain, and it's just not the same.

2 cups of elbow macaroni
1 small can of Spam
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
2 slices American cheese
salt and pepper

Cook macaroni according to package directions.

Melt the butter and flour and stir constantly for two minutes to cook out the raw flavor of the flour. While you're doing that, put the milk in the microwave on high. Slowly add the milk a little at a time, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Add the 2 slices of American cheese and keep stirring. Dice the Spam into little chunks and add to the sauce.

When the macaroni is done drain it. Add the sauce to it. You can either eat it that way immediately, or you can put it in a baking dish, cover it with breadcrumbs and melted butter, and bake in oven at 350 for about 15 minutes until the breadcrumbs brown. It's great either way.

It's the ONLY way I ever eat Spam and it's delicious.

Hell man, that sounds good. I think I'll use ham instead of spam, and maybe cheese it up a tad more, but hey, thanks!

Hell man, that sounds good. I think I'll use ham instead of spam, and maybe cheese it up a tad more, but hey, thanks!

Ham might work OK, but it will change the texture of the dish.

I've never tried it with ham because I have an aversion to ham. When I was a kid my grandfather used to pick us up from school every Thursday. He worked for a lumbar yard and worked half days on Thursdays, so he pick me and my sister up from school and take us to his house.

Grampa was a huge ham eater. And he got the real ham with the big bone in it, and he used that to make pea soup. Every Thursday we'd get a big bowl of pea soup. It was awful. I've hated ham ever since. :cuckoo:

I'm a woman, btw. I hope you like it. It really is my favorite dish.

Ham might work OK, but it will change the texture of the dish.

I've never tried it with ham because I have an aversion to ham. When I was a kid my grandfather used to pick us up from school every Thursday. He worked for a lumbar yard and worked half days on Thursdays, so he pick me and my sister up from school and take us to his house.

Grampa was a huge ham eater. And he got the real ham with the big bone in it, and he used that to make pea soup. Every Thursday we'd get a big bowl of pea soup. It was awful. I've hated ham ever since. :cuckoo:

I'm a woman, btw. I hope you like it. It really is my favorite dish.

Woman it is, and I will try it. It does sound good. Maybe even with spam.

I love ham. I'll buy those Hormel ham steaks and eat them right out of the package, or fry them up to eat with eggs. Another thing I love... eggs!

New Topics

Forum List

Back