Revolt of the Generals

DeadCanDance

May 29, 2007
Generals opposing Iraq war break with military tradition

Over twenty retired generals have now spoken out against the Iraq War, a gut-wrenching decision for these conservative lifelong Republicans.

The generals acted independently, coming in their own ways to the agonizing decision to defy military tradition and publicly criticize the Bush administration over its conduct of the war in Iraq.

What might be called The Revolt of the Generals has rarely happened in the nation's history.

In op-ed pieces, interviews and TV ads, more than 20 retired U.S. generals have broken ranks with the culture of salute and keep it in the family. Instead, they are criticizing the commander in chief and other top civilian leaders who led the nation into what the generals believe is a misbegotten and tragic war.

The active-duty generals followed procedure, sending reports up the chain of command. The retired generals beseeched old friends in powerful positions to use their influence to bring about a change.

When their warnings were ignored, some came to believe it was their patriotic duty to speak out, even if it meant terminating their careers.

It was a decision none of the men approached cavalierly. Most were political conservatives who had voted for George W. Bush and initially favored his appointment of Donald Rumsfeld as defense secretary.

But they felt betrayed by Bush and his advisers.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/world/iraq/20070923-9999-1n23generals.html

"It appears we have appointed our worst generals to command forces, and our most gifted and brilliant to edit newspapers! In fact, I discovered by reading newspapers that these editor/geniuses plainly saw all my strategic defects from the start, yet failed to inform me until it was too late. Accordingly, I'm readily willing to yield my command to these obviously
superior intellects, and I'll, in turn, do my best for the cause by writing editorials - after the fact."
-Robert E. Lee, 1863

"It appears we have appointed our worst generals to command forces, and our most gifted and brilliant to edit newspapers! In fact, I discovered by reading newspapers that these editor/geniuses plainly saw all my strategic defects from the start, yet failed to inform me until it was too late. Accordingly, I'm readily willing to yield my command to these obviously
superior intellects, and I'll, in turn, do my best for the cause by writing editorials - after the fact."
-Robert E. Lee, 1863

Hey! That's my sig line!

So now retired generals who write newspaper columns are no longer retired generals?

I think a lot of these retired generals saw how the civilians wrecked our efforts in Vietnam and don't wish to see a repeat of that.

Don't expect these young whippersnappers to understand that, jd.

So now retired generals who write newspaper columns are no longer retired generals?

I think a lot of these retired generals saw how the civilians wrecked our efforts in Vietnam and don't wish to see a repeat of that.

Their ignorance of history and military tactics is overflowing. How's your ignorance working out?

No one has suggested they are no longer retired generals. There have however, throughout history, been more generals who were tactically competent at best, incompetent at worst, and only a few truly brilliant.

If your second sentence translates into politicians derailing sound strategey and tactics with their BS politics, I totally agree.

Help me get this straight. Yet, they don’t count as Rush’s phony soldiers – right?
doesn't this tell you war hogs, (collectively) that MAYBE, sorta that these Generals are possibly right?

A great many of us UN-GENERALS have been saying that too

Do you ever think before you speak?

No one has suggested they are no longer retired generals. There have however, throughout history, been more generals who were tactically competent at best, incompetent at worst, and only a few truly brilliant.

If your second sentence translates into politicians derailing sound strategey and tactics with their BS politics, I totally agree.

Is the conversation about Generals or politicians? Do you need additional translation?

New Topics

Forum List

Back