REVOLT: N. Dakota To Vote On Eliminating All Property Tax...

You can implement a sales tax, or increase the sales tax. That way tourists, hookers, pimps, drug dealers, and little stump-humping forest dwelling nazis are contributing.

Hey fag, hookers, pimps, drug dealers, and ass-humping faggots contribute to property taxes, even if the don't own a home. Landlords pass the cost of property tax on to renters.

While Prop 13 is one of the best pieces of legislation ANY state has ever passed. I wish IL had one. We go hit again with tax increases, while the property value decreased. I built my place for $310K, similar property is sell for $200-$220K, yet they increased my taxes to nearly $7K a year. WTF. But I digress.

No property taxes seems like a bad idea to me!

Uh oh, Big Brother ain't gonna like this at all. Might have to go all NDAA up on their asses. Voting on eliminating Property Taxes? They must be Terrorists.

North Dakota Considers Eliminating Property Tax

Since Californians shrank their property taxes more than three decades ago by passing Proposition 13, people around the nation have echoed their dismay over such levies, putting forth plans to even them, simplify them, cap them, slash them. In an election here on Tuesday, residents of North Dakota will consider a measure that reaches far beyond any of that — one that abolishes the property tax entirely.

“I would like to be able to know that my home, no matter what happens to my income or my life, is not going to be taken away from me because I can’t pay a tax,” said Susan Beehler, one in a group of North Dakotans who have pressed for an amendment to the state’s Constitution to end the property tax. They argue that the tax is unpredictable, inconsistent, counter to the concept of property ownership and needless in a state that, thanks in part to wildly successful oil drilling, finds itself in the rare circumstance of carrying budget reserves.

“When,” Ms. Beehler asked, “did we come to believe that government should get rich and we should get poor?”

An unusual coalition of forces, including the North Dakota Chamber of Commerce and the state’s largest public employees’ unions, vehemently oppose the idea, arguing that such a ban would upend this quiet capital. Some big unanswered questions, the opponents say, include precisely how lawmakers would make up some $812 million in annual property tax revenue; what effect the change would have on hundreds of other state laws and regulations that allude to the more than century-old property tax; and what decisions would be left for North Dakota’s cities, counties and other governing boards if, say, they wanted to build a new school, hire more police, open a new park.

This is a plan without a plan,” said Andy Peterson, president and chairman of the North Dakota Chamber of Commerce, who acknowledged that property taxes have climbed in some parts of the state and that North Dakota’s political leaders need to tackle the issue. “But this solution is a little like giving a barber a razor-sharp butcher knife — and by the way, this barber is blind — and asking him or her to give you a haircut. You’ll get the job done, but you might be missing an ear or an eye"...

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/12/us/north-dakota-voters-consider-ending-property-tax.html?_r=1&hp
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

You can implement a sales tax, or increase the sales tax. That way tourists, hookers, pimps, drug dealers, and little stump-humping forest dwelling nazis are contributing.

Hey fag, hookers, pimps, drug dealers, and ass-humping faggots contribute to property taxes, even if the don't own a home. Landlords pass the cost of property tax on to renters.

That is not a direct tax. People are more likely to approve a tax increase for someone else if they do not realize the effects it has on them personally.

I guarantee you people are more willing to approve a property tax increase than a sales tax increase.

Uh oh, Big Brother ain't gonna like this at all. Might have to go all NDAA up on their asses. Voting on eliminating Property Taxes? They must be Terrorists.

Since Californians shrank their property taxes more than three decades ago by passing Proposition 13, people around the nation have echoed their dismay over such levies, putting forth plans to even them, simplify them, cap them, slash them. In an election here on Tuesday, residents of North Dakota will consider a measure that reaches far beyond any of that — one that abolishes the property tax entirely.

“I would like to be able to know that my home, no matter what happens to my income or my life, is not going to be taken away from me because I can’t pay a tax,” said Susan Beehler, one in a group of North Dakotans who have pressed for an amendment to the state’s Constitution to end the property tax. They argue that the tax is unpredictable, inconsistent, counter to the concept of property ownership and needless in a state that, thanks in part to wildly successful oil drilling, finds itself in the rare circumstance of carrying budget reserves.

“When,” Ms. Beehler asked, “did we come to believe that government should get rich and we should get poor?”

An unusual coalition of forces, including the North Dakota Chamber of Commerce and the state’s largest public employees’ unions, vehemently oppose the idea, arguing that such a ban would upend this quiet capital. Some big unanswered questions, the opponents say, include precisely how lawmakers would make up some $812 million in annual property tax revenue; what effect the change would have on hundreds of other state laws and regulations that allude to the more than century-old property tax; and what decisions would be left for North Dakota’s cities, counties and other governing boards if, say, they wanted to build a new school, hire more police, open a new park.

This is a plan without a plan,” said Andy Peterson, president and chairman of the North Dakota Chamber of Commerce, who acknowledged that property taxes have climbed in some parts of the state and that North Dakota’s political leaders need to tackle the issue. “But this solution is a little like giving a barber a razor-sharp butcher knife — and by the way, this barber is blind — and asking him or her to give you a haircut. You’ll get the job done, but you might be missing an ear or an eye"...

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/12/us/north-dakota-voters-consider-ending-property-tax.html?_r=1&hp
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®
Eliminate them?

So do you support this movement, or find it rather stupid?

So how did the Localities pay their bills before Property Taxes were invented?

Tax appraisers ask politicians how much money they want and appraise accordingly.
I know that this was done by Appraisers employed by Bankers during the Housing Boom, but my question was "How did the LOCALITIES pay their bills BEFORE the Property Tax was invented"?

Are you claiming that the infrastructure and population was comparable then?

Sometimes conservatives act like they want something for nothing as much as the liberals.

Just saying.

Uh oh, Big Brother ain't gonna like this at all.

Nor, it would seem, did the voters of North Dakota.

Voters gave a resounding rejection to Measure 2 on Tuesday, opting not to be the nation’s first state to abolish property taxes.

With 43 percent of precincts reporting, 78.2 percent of voters shot down the measure, which has fueled months of sharp debate across the state as well as drawing national attention. The Associated Press called the election for opponents of Measure 2.

So how did the Localities pay their bills before Property Taxes were invented?

Tax appraisers ask politicians how much money they want and appraise accordingly.
I know that this was done by Appraisers employed by Bankers during the Housing Boom, but my question was "How did the LOCALITIES pay their bills BEFORE the Property Tax was invented"?

Property taxes predate the constitution, just so you know.

Property taxes should NOT be abolished.

There are people running ads in the state claiming, or suggesting, that abolishing property taxes will lower people's taxes. No it won't, at least not for the middle-class. It'll just shift the taxes someplace else, probably to highly regressive sales taxes.

A property tax penalizes people for holding onto property that they should sell. For example, your neighbor moves out of his house and buys a new one across town. He decides to keep his old house. But, because no one lives there, the appearance rapidly deteriorates, creating a neighborhood eyesore. I like to think that such people are paying some sort of penalty for that, in the form of property tax.

So long as renters don't have to pay property tax for living in what ever it is they are living in ....i am all for getting rid of property tax.

Read More:
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®
Quite frankly, it is good this measure failed. The people of ND looked forward and probably realized the gas and oil boom cannot last forever.
Of course the ND public workers and others who benefit from high taxes were vehemently opposed. For that reason alone, it sucks this didn't pass.
If there is one common thread in taxation it is public workers, their unions and greedy politicians who ALWAYS oppose lowering or eliminating taxes.
Proof positive that a liberal never saw a tax they didn't like.

Forum List

Back