Revisiting U.S. Drug policy

the fact that the majoority of Americans want it legalized, but it has not yet been, is just one more bit of evidence that our government no more represents We, the people than most of you already think it doesn't.

As much as I'd like that to be true, I haven't seen a poll like that at all... What poll said a majority of Americans want pot legalized?

i have .......i have seen more that just want it decriminalized though.....as far as medical pot goes,i have yet to see one against that,from the people anyway......

The point of the War on Drugs is to make government bigger and more intrusive.

War on sin, war on terror, war on poverty, Cold War.

A crisis is the time tested vehicle for growing government and muscling money out of the budget. People are more likely to accept government intervention if they're scared.

You can't lure poor folks from Kansas into the voting booth with the promise of tax cuts for the wealthy. You need to scare them. You need a parade of demons: liberals, sinners, terrorists, homosexuals, the evil empire.

"Better Dead Than Red".

Big Brother will protect you.

Fear is the oldest trick in the book for growing government. FDR, Reagan, Bush 43, and Obama understood/understand this. Both parties do it.

(Both parties have always done it)

(passing an agenda in Washington, given the number of votes needed in Congress, requires a crisis)

Look at the money we've spent on Nancy Reagan's War on Drugs. We've lost the war, but at least federal law enforcement & intelligence agencies are bigger.

While we were locking up pot dealers, Wall Street execs were growing a speculative bubble that would destroy generations.

"Don't worry about business! The real enemy is drugs and sin."

Oh Ronnie! You punk'd us good.

Last edited:
Here's some interesting facts I found in an article from 2006.

Based on current prison population counts, we estimate that there are 27,900 persons in state and federal prison serving a sentence for which a marijuana violation is the controlling (or most serious) offense.[67] This translates to a national estimated loss of more than $600 million per year.​

Nearly 90% have no history of a violent offense.​

Using reported activity response as an indicator, there is reason to question the assertion that only serious marijuana distributors are incarcerated in prison. In fact, the data strongly indicate that a significant number of marijuana offenders are in prison for playing a low-level role in the drug market.​

This is specifically about marijuana. So why isn't any congressman bringing this up as a stimulus? Cut the budget by requiring less money for incarceration, proscution, and supervision, while simultaneously creating a new industry.

Here's some interesting facts I found in an article from 2006.
Based on current prison population counts, we estimate that there are 27,900 persons in state and federal prison serving a sentence for which a marijuana violation is the controlling (or most serious) offense.[67] This translates to a national estimated loss of more than $600 million per year.
Nearly 90% have no history of a violent offense.
Using reported activity response as an indicator, there is reason to question the assertion that only serious marijuana distributors are incarcerated in prison. In fact, the data strongly indicate that a significant number of marijuana offenders are in prison for playing a low-level role in the drug market.
This is specifically about marijuana. So why isn't any congressman bringing this up as a stimulus? Cut the budget by requiring less money for incarceration, proscution, and supervision, while simultaneously creating a new industry.

I'm reasonably sure it's higher than that 27,000 number but that 27000 too many even if its right.

Stoners are the new American niggars, you know, folks.

Laws against hemp are merely misguided, they're positively evil.

Do you folks have any idea how many of us cannot find jobs that we are more than qualified to do because we won't piss in those stupid bottles?

There are about 25,000,000 Americans who are being descriminated against needlessly.

The human waste of that talent pool is by design.

The purpose of descriminating against us is entirely politically motivated.

I quit, rather than submit to testing, way back in '94. My boss told me that if I failed the test, not to worry, the company provided medical assistance if there was a problem. I finally reasoned that smoking pot wasn't nearly as bad a habit as poking around in human waste. That takes some sick SOBs.

Forum List

Back