Revised Same-sex Marriage/Religion Poll

Do you support state recognized same-sex marriage or not, and are you religious?

• I am against state recognized same-sex marriage and I'm religious.

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • I am against state recognized same-sex marriage and I'm not religious.

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • I support state recognized same-sex marriage and I'm religious.

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • I support state recognized same-sex marriage and I'm not religious.

Votes: 16 43.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coloradomtnman

Rational and proud of it.
Oct 1, 2008
Denver
Dis told me how to do this, so I'm re-starting the thread with the poll attached. If you've already answered, please do so again so I can make sure to get an accurate sample of USMB posters. Thanks.

I tried to answer as closely as I could.

I'm for civil unions for ALL, not just gays. I think marriage should be a private thing and if can get someone to marry you then you can be married, but it would carry no legal rights. A civil union OTOH would convey legal rights and should be available to any and all couples.

I also consider myself more spiritual than religious. I don't have any dogma that I cling to other than I think we're supposed to love each other as unconditionally as we are capable of.

I'm for civil unions for ALL, not just gays. I think marriage should be a private thing and if can get someone to marry you then you can be married, but it would carry no legal rights. A civil union OTOH would convey legal rights and should be available to any and all couples.

I also consider myself more spiritual than religious. I don't have any dogma that I cling to other than I think we're supposed to love each other as unconditionally as we are capable of.

Don't you go to church and believe in the Bible? Cause if that's so, then you're religious. If you believe in a higher power, but not in any one religion, don't go to church or official temple, don't read an ancient text about said religion, then you're spritual, not religious.

Don't you go to church and believe in the Bible? Cause if that's so, then you're religious. If you believe in a higher power, but not in any one religion, don't go to church or official temple, don't read an ancient text about said religion, then you're spritual, not religious.

I'm sorry, but you don't get to define me.

I go to church for many reasons, none of them make me religious by definition. I believe in the overall message of the Bible, but I'm not a literalist.

Your reasoning above is so flawed I don't even know where to start. I think it's really ironic when I see libs doing what you just did. Out of 1 side of your mouth you'd call me a bigot because of my views on race, or a homophobe because of my views on homosexuality. You'd say I was narrow-minded and should get out and experience more of life.

Then... out of the other side of your mouth you'd BE the exact kind of person you just thought I was.

The irony would hilarious if it wasn't so painful.

Wrong again, as usual, one is spiritual if they say they are irregardless of religion. Claiming religious people can not be spiritual is ignorant as hell.

I go to church for many reasons, none of them make me religious by definition. I believe in the overall message of the Bible, but I'm not a literalist.

Your reasoning above is so flawed I don't even know where to start. I think it's really ironic when I see libs doing what you just did. Out of 1 side of your mouth you'd call me a bigot because of my views on race, or a homophobe because of my views on homosexuality. You'd say I was narrow-minded and should get out and experience more of life.

Then... out of the other side of your mouth you'd BE the exact kind of person you just thought I was.

I can define you, you're a person that doesn't know anything about the Bible but calls yourself a Christian anyway...I'm sure Paul had a few bad words to say about people such as that.

Well, I'm sorry, but you don't understand the purpose of this poll. I'm keeping it simple: there are four choices above. See them?

So, here religious defined: From the Merriam-Webster:

1: relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity <a religious person> <religious attitudes>
2: of, relating to, or devoted to religious beliefs or observances <joined a religious order>
3 a: scrupulously and conscientiously faithful b: fervent, zealous

Here is the definition of spiritual:
1: of, relating to, consisting of, or affecting the spirit : incorporeal <spiritual needs>
2 a: of or relating to sacred matters <spiritual songs> b: ecclesiastical rather than lay or temporal <spiritual authority> <lords spiritual>
3: concerned with religious values
4: related or joined in spirit <our spiritual home> <his spiritual heir>
5 a: of or relating to supernatural beings or phenomena b: of, relating to, or involving spiritualism : spiritualistic

So you can be both religious and spiritual. But for the purposes of this poll, I am attempting to determine from a sample of USMB posters if the same-sex marriage is mostly a religious issue or a traditional issue.

If you go to Church or temple or the Synagogue or mosque or any other official religious place, read the Bible or someother religious text, pray to Jesus and His Father in Heaven or Mohammed or Yaweh or godhead who has particular religious ways in which you are supposed to behave, you are religious because you practice an official religion. You may also be spiritual.

If you don't go to Church or temple or whatever, don't read the Bible or Quran or whatever, don't pray to Jesus or God or whomever, but believe in a nameless higher power or no higher power at all, yet don't follow an organized religion, don't read an official religious text and in no way are associatred with a "RELIGION" then you are not religious. Get it?

Its just to get an accurate cross section of USMB posters. Don't say you're not religious if you practice a religion. That's skews the results of this poll.

Last edited:

I can define you, you're a person that doesn't know anything about the Bible but calls yourself a Christian anyway...I'm sure Paul had a few bad words to say about people such as that.

I bet you'd be quite surprised if you knew me. I was raised with the Bible always being around and at a time when I was questioning my faith I did a lot of reading both of the Bible (all the various versions) and other texts about the Bible. I came to the conclusion that taking the Bible literally was incorrect, because it simply wasn't written to be taken literally.

Here's a little example of what I know about the Bible that many who claim to be very religious don't: Before King James commissioned the KJV the 3 most popular versions of the Bible were The Bishops Bible, The Geneva Bible and The Great Bible. The Great Bible was the previous "official" bible of the Church of England and had been such since the time of King Henry VIII.

Well, I'm sorry, but you don't understand the purpose of this poll. I'm keeping it simple: there are four choices above. See them?

1: relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity <a religious person> <religious attitudes>
2: of, relating to, or devoted to religious beliefs or observances <joined a religious order>
3 a: scrupulously and conscientiously faithful b: fervent, zealous

1: of, relating to, consisting of, or affecting the spirit : incorporeal <spiritual needs>
2 a: of or relating to sacred matters <spiritual songs> b: ecclesiastical rather than lay or temporal <spiritual authority> <lords spiritual>
5 a: of or relating to supernatural beings or phenomena b: of, relating to, or involving spiritualism : spiritualistic

So you can be both religious and spiritual. But for the purposes of this poll, I am attempting to determine from a sample of USMB posters if the same-sex marriage is mostly a religious issue or a traditional issue.

If you go to Church or temple or the Synagogue or mosque or any other official religious place, read the Bible or someother religious text, pray to Jesus and His Father in Heaven or Mohammed or Yaweh or godhead who has particular religious ways in which you are supposed to behave, you are religious because you practice an official religion. You may also be spiritual.

If you don't go to Church or temple or whatever, don't read the Bible or Quran or whatever, don't pray to Jesus or God or whomever, but believe in a nameless higher power or no higher power at all, yet don't follow an organized religion, don't read an official religious text and in no way are associatred with a "RELIGION" then you are not religious. Get it?

Its just to get an accurate cross section of USMB posters. Don't say you're not religious if you practice a religion. That's skews the results of this poll.

I don't care about the purpose of the poll. I do care about narrow stereotyping tho so I spoke up. And FWIW, attempting to use lexical definitions is a weak debate tactic. Whenever I see anyone whipping out a definition of a word to prove a point it shows the inherent weakness of whatever other "logic" they are trying to support.

I'm somewhat religious, and apathetic towards the issue other than believing it should be left to each individual state to decide. If it was put to a vote here, I doubt I'd cast a ballot one way or the other.

I don't care about the purpose of the poll. I do care about narrow stereotyping tho so I spoke up. And FWIW, attempting to use lexical definitions is a weak debate tactic. Whenever I see anyone whipping out a definition of a word to prove a point it shows the inherent weakness of whatever other "logic" they are trying to support.

I think you're actually wrong in this Amanda.. He posted a specific poll with very specific questions.. If you choose not to attach to yourself one of the choices in the poll, you don't need to answer it. But to argue it because he asked you to choose either religious, or not religious is just silly.

I brought the definitions up to help you to understand MY meaning without it being argued about what exactly did I mean..., that's not what it means..., blah blah pointless blah.

Why did you vote on the poll, Amanda? If you don't care, then don't vote. This is my poll, if you want to vote on it then have to vote by my rules.

Are you against same-sex marriage because of the what the Bible says? Then vote, against it and I am religious. Clear now? If not, then vote: against it and I'm not religious.

Sheesh! Who ever heard of it being so difficult for people to check the right box?

Same as before.

For same-sex marriage: No.
Religious: No.

I feel so out-voted...

I can't fit in the poll:

Against state controlled marriage and all rights and benefits of marriage from the government.
Religious though.

I believe gays are born that way, and I also believe it's a defect.

For a species to procreate, a male and female are necessary.

If you were trying to breed dalmatians (or some other dog) and the male only wanted to mount another male and refused the female, you'd be frustrated. You would say, "Man, this isn't natural."

Someday there will be an in-vitro cure for homosexuality. Parents will know ahead of time the sexual preference of their unborn children, and I'd be surprised if any parents would choose to let the child stay gay.

Until then, we have gays among us, doing their thing. It's none of my business, but I pay taxes and don't wish my government to recognize gay marriage or plural marriage.

I believe gays are born that way, and I also believe it's a defect.

For a species to procreate, a male and female are necessary.

If you were trying to breed dalmatians (or some other dog) and the male only wanted to mount another male and refused the female, you'd be frustrated. You would say, "Man, this isn't natural."

Someday there will be an in-vitro cure for homosexuality. Parents will know ahead of time the sexual preference of their unborn children, and I'd be surprised if any parents would choose to let the child stay gay.

Until then, we have gays among us, doing their thing. It's none of my business, but I pay taxes and don't wish my government to recognize gay marriage or plural marriage.

There is already a "cure" possible, luckily the scientists are not seeking a way to detect it (at least anyone well funded or intelligent enough to succeed). The cure is changing the gender of the fetus, there was an issue as to whether it should be allowed when they first figured it out, it was shot down and not allowed to be practiced for what was considered the first step to "designer babies".

I'm against state sanctioned marriage.
I'm not religious.

Same here. I think 2 people should be able to do what they want, but when we give legal rights for marriage when they are the same sex, we are rewarding broken DNA.

Forum List

Back