Rev. Al Sharpton, Others Arrested at Rallies to Protest 50-Shot Slaying

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
Wednesday, May 07, 2008
Associated Press

NEW YORK — The Rev. Al Sharpton and nearly 200 demonstrators were arrested Wednesday as they blocked traffic at the height of the evening rush hour to protest the acquittals of three detectives in the 50-bullet shooting of an unarmed black man.

Police estimated that about 190 people were arrested, including Sharpton, two survivors of the shooting and the slain man's fiancee. They lined up and peacefully put their hands behind their backs as police arrested them on disorderly conduct charges.

more ... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354487,00.html

regardless of what we may think happened with the 50 shots, the so-called reverend has his right to protest and it is working...without it, the feds would never have looked at this case. makes me glad i don't live in russia, iran, china....

But Yurt don't you think this is going to pervert the course of justice? The judge heard the case, the state case of course. I would assume though that Sharpton and his allies are trying for a Rodney King situation where federal civil rights charges might be laid. For mine that's perverting the justice system for purely political reasons.

But Yurt don't you think this is going to pervert the course of justice? The judge heard the case, the state case of course. I would assume though that Sharpton and his allies are trying for a Rodney King situation where federal civil rights charges might be laid. For mine that's perverting the justice system for purely political reasons.

And that is EXACTLY what they want. The original claim that the shooting was racial ignores the fact that the cops involved were black, Hispanic and white.

Sharpton is trying to blackmail the Government into doing what he wants because he disagrees with a legal decision of a Court of Law. And ask yourself if Sharpton and buddies would be involved at all if the "victim" had been any color other than black.

From the little I've read about Sharpton he seems to be an exploiter. I could be very wrong because, as I said, I've not read anything from him, just a little about him.

From the little I've read about Sharpton he seems to be an exploiter. I could be very wrong because, as I said, I've not read anything from him, just a little about him.

Oh he is an exploiter alright. He has tried in the past to cause racial divide and tension on fake charges.

regardless of what we may think happened with the 50 shots, the so-called reverend has his right to protest and it is working...without it, the feds would never have looked at this case. makes me glad i don't live in russia, iran, china....

Sharpton attempts to use race as means to bully the system for more OJ-like outcomes. There is nothing noble nor righteous about the man. He's a parasite on our society and perpetuates and exacerbates a social problem to keep his bank account filled.

i completely agree with you guys, sharpton is scum, opportunist and a phony. however, i am loathe to infringe on his right to protest. is it a perversion of justice? i don't think so. if the state court got it right, then the feds will not pursue the case. in reality, this happens all the time in civil court, you don't like a judge, you get one, virtually automatice, request to get a new judge. you are right, he is using political means to interfere with the legal system. without writing a thesis on the matter, i will say that this happens all the time, everyday, and is apart of having a 3 branch government.

A right to protest is a given, I should have acknowledged that so I will do it here. But those in control of the justice system need to have the spine to ignore him. I mean we may as well hand it over to the mob. Let's do a Pontius Pilate and let the crowd free Barabas.

Sharpton is calling it racism, yet 1 cops was Black, the other Latino and only 1 white.

I believe the cops over-reacted no doubt and I think the victims just panicked. When cops are staking out a place, they are obviously preparing for the worst. The victims got into an altercation. The cops erroneous and reasonably thought the victims were getting retrieving a gun. The victims saw these men with guns running towards them screaming they are police. In the heat of things, the victims could easily not have heard them or didn't believe them. They then panicked and hit the gas. Then the cops over reacted and discharged their weapons. I think the cops are more to blame, but I don't think it was racially charged or a fundamental case of police brutality.

But Sharpton, just like most blacks, just assumes its was racially charged. Just as he automatically assumed that the Duke LaCrosse players raped the Black girl (still waiting for the apology). Blacks need to stop blaming whites for all their woes.

Does seem like the system is out to fuck the cops, just like it did in LA.

i completely agree with you guys, sharpton is scum, opportunist and a phony. however, i am loathe to infringe on his right to protest. is it a perversion of justice? i don't think so. if the state court got it right, then the feds will not pursue the case. in reality, this happens all the time in civil court, you don't like a judge, you get one, virtually automatice, request to get a new judge. you are right, he is using political means to interfere with the legal system. without writing a thesis on the matter, i will say that this happens all the time, everyday, and is apart of having a 3 branch government.

The state court got it right in the case of the LAPD cops in the Rodney King trial. Didn't stop the feds from trumping up civil rights charges and putting them into a federal institution.

Sharpton attempts to use race as means to bully the system for more OJ-like outcomes. There is nothing noble nor righteous about the man. He's a parasite on our society and perpetuates and exacerbates a social problem to keep his bank account filled.

Good analogy on Sharpton. Parasite is one of the better terms that I have heard describing that troll.

If they're prosecuted federally it will be raw politics driving it.

The King case was a bloody disgrace, a miscarriage of justice and I mean for Stacy Koon and the cops.

I know, it made a lot of city cops hate the feds.

The state court got it right in the case of the LAPD cops in the Rodney King trial. Didn't stop the feds from trumping up civil rights charges and putting them into a federal institution.

that is true, and a good point. i admit that i did not know they did fed time, i was pretty young at the time and did not follow the news.

it still does not diminish the right to protest. its a slippery slope when we start saying what can and cannot be a legitimate protest.

Forum List

Back