Reuters Admits Cropping Photos of Ship Clash, Denies Political Motive

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
The British-based Reuters news agency has been stung for the second time by charges that it edited politically sensitive photos in a way that casts Israel in a bad light. But this time Reuters claims it wasn’t at fault.

The news agency reacted to questions raised by an American blogger who showed that Reuters' photo service edited out knives and blood traces from pictures taken aboard the activist ship Mavi Marmara during a clash with Israeli commandos last week. Nine people were killed and scores were injured in the clash.

The pictures of the fight were released by IHH, the Turkish-based group that sponsored the six-ship fleet that tried to break Israel's blockade of Gaza.

In one photo, an Israeli commando is shown lying on the deck of the ship, surrounded by activists. The uncut photo released by IHH shows the hand of an unidentified activist holding a knife. But in the Reuters photo, the hand is visible but the knife has been edited out

FOXNews.com - Reuters Admits Cropping Photos of Ship Clash, Denies Political Motive

well they are officially on par with MSNBC,.lost any credibility they ever had.

Reuters uses stringers. Like most other news services

[oops!]Reuters claims the stringer cropped the photo.[/oops!]

Reuters has to go with what it gets, and what it gets is quite often staged. They do have an axe to grind, and it does interfere with the QC process.

But this is no way as bad as it used to be. Remember green helmet guy?

Last edited:

Reuters has to go with what it gets, and what it gets is quite often staged. They do have an axe to grind, and it does interfere with the QC process.

green helmet guy? heck remember angry white racist white guy with a gun who turned out to be a black dude?:lol:

green helmet guy? heck remember angry white racist white guy with a gun who turned out to be a black dude?:lol:

yea, that's what I'm talkin bout willis.

That would be Kevin Neish, a 53 year-old retired civilian engineer with the Canadian Department of Defense, who was on the Mavi Marmara when Israeli commandos arrived last Memorial Day.

Kevin was on the second deck "with a good view of the stern" when the IDF assault began "with percussion grenades, tear gas, and a hail of bullets."

From an enclosed stairwell on deck four, Kevin put his camera to good use as casualties were carried past him to a makeshift medical station.

"I took detailed photos of the dead and wounded with my camera...There were several guys who had two neat bullet holes side by side on the side of their head--clearly they were executed."

While he never saw a single paint gun or sign of a fired paint ball, Steve did see severe bullet wounds:

"There was one older guy who was just propped up against a wall with a huge hole in his chest.

"He died as I was taking his picture."

Reuters should crop that photo.

CounterPunch

That would be Kevin Neish, a 53 year-old retired civilian engineer with the Canadian Department of Defense, who was on the Mavi Marmara when Israeli commandos arrived last Memorial Day.

Kevin was on the second deck "with a good view of the stern" when the IDF assault began "with percussion grenades, tear gas, and a hail of bullets."

From an enclosed stairwell on deck four, Kevin put his camera to good use as casualties were carried past him to a makeshift medical station.

"I took detailed photos of the dead and wounded with my camera...There were several guys who had two neat bullet holes side by side on the side of their head--clearly they were executed."

While he never saw a single paint gun or sign of a fired paint ball, Steve did see severe bullet wounds:

"There was one older guy who was just propped up against a wall with a huge hole in his chest.

CounterPunch

Not having seen any of the pictures Kevin claims to have taken, and reading that he was located while in Israeli detention when he answered his cell phone, I tend to receive all of this with a bit of doubt. I'm sure he has a political agenda...and would lie to promote the cause of hatred against Israel.

Show me the pictures.

Reuters is a left wing radical media. and jew haters. they've helped Hamas and Hezbollah edit they're fake vids for years. so nothin' new here

CounterPunch

Love your source. :cuckoo:

I cant believe this is shocking to any of you. This kind of False biased reporting is commonly used against Israel by those in the liberal press.

Now they are starting to use methods like this more and more against the American People. Just ask the Tea party people who watched as CNN and other Cameras specifically picked out the most radical signs and people to talk in an effort to paint the whole movement as a bunch of racist radicals.

Nothing More the SOP for the Liberal press. Wake up America.

Last edited:

CounterPunch

Not having seen any of the pictures Kevin claims to have taken, and reading that he was located while in Israeli detention when he answered his cell phone, I tend to receive all of this with a bit of doubt. I'm sure he has a political agenda...and would lie to promote the cause of hatred against Israel.

Show me the pictures.
The pictures taken during the first few minutes of the IDF assault will be vital to proving what happened. Kevin claims that hiding his camera's memory card from his captors required putting the chip beneath his tongue"...between my butt cheeks, in my sock, everywhere to keep them from finding it."

Why do you think Israel has not returned to their rightful owners the many cameras, camcorders, mobile phones, etc that could document the early minutes of its boarding?

Does Israel have a political agenda?
Does she lie to promote her cause?

Kevin's card eventually found its way to Free Gaza, "and he has seen some of his pictures published, so he knows they made it out successfully."

CounterPunch

Show me the pictures.
The pictures taken during the first few minutes of the IDF assault will be vital to proving what happened. Kevin claims that hiding his camera's memory card from his captors required putting the chip beneath his tongue"...between my butt cheeks, in my sock, everywhere to keep them from finding it."

Why do you think Israel has not returned to their rightful owners the many cameras, camcorders, mobile phones, etc that could document the early minutes of its boarding?

Does Israel have a political agenda?
Does she lie to promote her cause?

Kevin's card eventually found its way to Free Gaza, "and he has seen some of his pictures published, so he knows they made it out successfully."

If the guy actually had pictures that proved what you were saying, and they were available, you would have linked to them. He probably needs more time to Photoshop them.

CounterPunch

Love your source. :cuckoo:
Have you heard any survivors of the Mavi Marmara interviewed on corporate media? Is it likely Bill O'Reilly or Jon Stewart want to talk to Steve or Ken O'Keefe, a former US Marine Gulf War veteran, who helped to physically separate three IDF commandos from their weapons last Memorial Day?

Paul Craig Roberts is a lifelong conservative who formerly served as an editor for the Wall Street Journal and Assistant Secretary of Treasury in the Reagan administration.

His editorials once appeared in the New York Times.
That changed when he opposed the invasion of Iraq.

CounterPunch publishes voices like Roberts, Neish, and O'Keefe that the corporate press want silenced.

Judge the book...not the cover.

Footage that never came under Israeli control of the events on the Mavi Marmara can be found here.

If your opinions on the hijacking of the Freedom Flotilla are based entirely on what you saw during the first 48 hours after the kidnappings, you might want to see and hear the other side's version.

Have you heard any survivors of the Mavi Marmara interviewed on corporate media? Is it likely Bill O'Reilly or Jon Stewart want to talk to Steve or Ken O'Keefe, a former US Marine Gulf War veteran, who helped to physically separate three IDF commandos from their weapons last Memorial Day?

Paul Craig Roberts is a lifelong conservative who formerly served as an editor for the Wall Street Journal and Assistant Secretary of Treasury in the Reagan administration.

His editorials once appeared in the New York Times.
That changed when he opposed the invasion of Iraq.

CounterPunch publishes voices like Roberts, Neish, and O'Keefe that the corporate press want silenced.

Judge the book...not the cover.

CounterPunch also carries people that believe that 9/11 was an inside job. That makes everything they post suspect, and the fact that these people you want to cite can only get published there tells me more than I need to know about them. I am judgung the publisher, if you want me to look at the book get it published somewhere else.

Footage that never came under Israeli control of the events on the Mavi Marmara can be found here.

If your opinions on the hijacking of the Freedom Flotilla are based entirely on what you saw during the first 48 hours after the kidnappings, you might want to see and hear the other side's version.

Over an hour to watch a bunch of video that never showed the attack, great find.

Quantum:

Tell me again how two planes pulverized three steel-framed skyscrapers.

BTW Alexander Cockburn, one of the publishers of CounterPunch, has little sympathy for 9/11 "conspiracy theories."

Last edited:

Over an hour to watch a bunch of video that never showed the attack, great find.
How many paint balls did you see?

How many gunshots did you hear?

Why did Israel select Memorial Day for this hijacking?

Quantum:

Tell me again how two planes pulverized three steel-framed skyscrapers.

BTW Alexander Cockburn, one of the publishers of CounterPunch, has little sympathy for 9/11 "conspiracy theories."

They didn't, the two buildings collapsing on top of another building tends to do some damage though.

Forum List

Back