Returning Troops Banned From Airport Terminal

red states rule

May 30, 2006
Well folks, it has started. In Oakland CA, returning Marines from Iraq were banned from the airport terminal in Oakland

I guess some on the left plan to treat troops from Iraq like they did troops coming home from Viet Nam

snip

In short: “On September 27th 204 Marines and soldiers who were returning from Iraq were not allowed into the passenger terminal at Oakland International Airport.Instead they had to deplane about 400 yards away from the terminal where the extra baggage trailers were located. This was the last scheduled stop for fuel and food prior to flying to Hawaii where both were based. The trip started in Kuwait on September 26th with a rigorous search of checked and carry on baggage by US Customs. All baggage was x-rayed with a ‘backscatter’ machine AND each bag was completely emptied and hand searched. After being searched, checked bags were marked and immediately placed in a secure container. Carry on bags were then x rayed again to ensure no contraband items were taken on the plane. While waiting for the bus to the airport, all personnel were in quarantined in a fenced area and were not allowed to leave.” Nevertheless, Oakland forbade them from entering its terminal. According to the Marine, a Lieutenant who served in Afghanistan with the same unit in 2006 noted that Oakland had treated troops the same way before. He “was almost arrested by the TSA for getting belligerent about them not letting the Marines into the terminal,” despite more rigorous screening prior to landing in Oakland. Both JFK airport and in Germany had no problem with the Marines entering their terminals.

I have also obtained the Port of Oakland’s response about the incident to Captain David Epstein of the Reserve Officers Association. The Port official blames a lack of “clear communication” from the charter airline hired by the military. In other words: it’s the troops’ fault:

http://michellemalkin.com/2007/09/30/what-happened-to-our-troops-in-oakland

And the lies begin again. During Nam I went through many an airport etc and never was I greeted with anything but respect and consideration. Flying standby was a challenge sometimes, but everyone helped, even to carrying my duffel bag.

And see below before you begin the same BS over again.

http://www.veteransforpeace.org/Did_protesters_spit_050803.htm

" Jerry Lembcke, an associate professor of sociology at Holy Cross and a Vietnam combat veteran, has written a well documented book, "The Spitting Image: Myth, Memory, and the Legacy of Vietnam" (New York University Press, 1998) that thoroughly debunks the tales of protesters "spitting upon" Vietnam vets. Lembcke conducted extensive research to ascertain that there were no contemporaneous news reports or police complaints lodged to substantiate the claims that began appearing in the media about 1991. The perpetuation of such myths only blocks the healing of Vietnam veterans from our "culture of victimization," and it serves the agenda of those pro-war forces who place fear and intimidation in the path of open debate on the pressing issues of the moment."

Like Movon.org - some on the left will try to deny this ever happened. The kook left has a long history of showing how they really feel about the US military - it is not a history one should be proud of

So rsr, I take it you think that people who haven't been scanned by TSA should be allowed into airport terminals?

Seems like a stupid idea to me.

And you know that how? Through BS you read online? lol - You forget Bush Jr and Cheney, draft dodgers par excellence.

So rsr, I take it you think that people who haven't been scanned by TSA should be allowed into airport terminals?

Seems like a stupid idea to me.

"Scanned by the TSA?" Is that some higher clearance I don't know about. So the FBI background check a soldier goes through and gets clearance to carry a full auto weapon isn't good enough?

Where's your logic?

They were screened by security, how is this an outrage? Why do some websites claim they were spit on when they weren't. Why is this more important than the failed war POLICY?

"In this startling book, Jerry Lembcke demonstrates that not a single incident of this sort has been convincingly documented. Rather, the anti-war Left saw in veterans a natural ally, and the relationship between anti-war forces and most veterans was defined by mutual support. Indeed one soldier wrote angrily to Vice President Spiro Agnew that the only Americans who seemed concerned about the soldier's welfare were the anti-war activists.While the veterans were sometimes made to feel uncomfortable about their service, this sense of unease was, Lembcke argues, more often rooted in the political practices of the Right. Tracing a range of conflicts in the twentieth century, the book illustrates how regimes engaged in unpopular conflicts often vilify their domestic opponents for "stabbing the boys in the back."Concluding with an account of the powerful role played by Hollywood in cementing the myth of the betrayed veteran through such films as Coming Home, Taxi Driver, and Rambo, Jerry Lembcke's book stands as one of the most important, original, and controversial works of cultural history in recent years.""

from Google book search

“The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly - it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over” Joseph Goebbels

"Scanned by the TSA?" Is that some higher clearance I don't know about. So the FBI background check a soldier goes through and gets clearance to carry a full auto weapon isn't good enough?

Where's your logic?

Hey Pale - he must have missed this part of my original post

All baggage was x-rayed with a ‘backscatter’ machine AND each bag was completely emptied and hand searched. After being searched, checked bags were marked and immediately placed in a secure container. Carry on bags were then x rayed again to ensure no contraband items were taken on the plane. While waiting for the bus to the airport, all personnel were in quarantined in a fenced area and were not allowed to leave.” Nevertheless, Oakland forbade them from entering its terminal.

Some on the kook left is once agin showing how they really fell about the US military, and those who point it out are the real bad guys

Look no one is saying that this doesn't suck but we're talking about what...two hours of inconvenience. If this was some leftist plot to humiliate and dishonor the troops why didnt the airport bus in anti war protesters, set up a picket line and force the troops to march through it? As it is, it seems one of two things happened. There was incompetence in the airport as to what security screening needed to happen. There was a malicious plot to delay the arrival of troops by checking baggage that had already been checked.

The right is REALLY searching for evidence that returning troops are being dishonored so they can discredit the anti-war crowd. Problem for them is that the anti war crowd is the majority of the population and the troops are entirely seperate from people's feelings about the war policy.

Look no one is saying that this doesn't suck but we're talking about what...two hours of inconvenience. If this was some leftist plot to humiliate and dishonor the troops why didnt the airport bus in anti war protesters, set up a picket line and force the troops to march through it? As it is, it seems one of two things happened. There was incompetence in the airport as to what security screening needed to happen. There was a malicious plot to delay the arrival of troops by checking baggage that had already been checked.

The right is REALLY searching for evidence that returning troops are being dishonored so they can discredit the anti-war crowd. Problem for them is that the anti war crowd is the majority of the population and the troops are entirely seperate from people's feelings about the war policy.

So the anti war crowd is a majority of the population?

Antiwar activist Jonathan Wachtel of New York chants during a protest at Constitution and Pennsylvania avenues after yesterday’s rally and march.
War Protest Draws Small Crowd
Participants Cite Public Apathy in Low Turnout for Rally at the Capitol

By Carol D. Leonnig
Sunday, September 30, 2007; A17

Hundreds of demonstrators, including students and families, rallied and marched in downtown Washington yesterday to protest the war in Iraq, complaining that the Democratic-controlled Congress has failed to do the public’s bidding and bring U.S. troops home.

From an elevated stage in front of the Capitol Reflecting Pool, a succession of speakers at the “Stop the War” rally urged Congress to stop funding the conflict and prevent more deaths of soldiers and Iraqi civilians…

The rally, organized by the Troops Out Now Coalition, drew protesters from the Washington area, Philadelphia, New York, New Jersey and elsewhere. Police in the District generally do not publicly estimate the size of protest gatherings. Yesterday’s crowd appeared to number fewer than 1,000…

Several rallygoers acknowledged that the size of the rally illustrated how difficult it is to get people in the United States to become activists, even though a majority of the public opposes the war, according to polls.

http://sweetness-light.com/

Who needs to search for examples - the left hands them to us on a silver platter

Attachments

• $At the Arch.jpg
    $At the Arch.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 107
"In this startling book, Jerry Lembcke demonstrates that not a single incident of this sort has been convincingly documented. Rather, the anti-war Left saw in veterans a natural ally, and the relationship between anti-war forces and most veterans was defined by mutual support. Indeed one soldier wrote angrily to Vice President Spiro Agnew that the only Americans who seemed concerned about the soldier's welfare were the anti-war activists.While the veterans were sometimes made to feel uncomfortable about their service, this sense of unease was, Lembcke argues, more often rooted in the political practices of the Right. Tracing a range of conflicts in the twentieth century, the book illustrates how regimes engaged in unpopular conflicts often vilify their domestic opponents for "stabbing the boys in the back."Concluding with an account of the powerful role played by Hollywood in cementing the myth of the betrayed veteran through such films as Coming Home, Taxi Driver, and Rambo, Jerry Lembcke's book stands as one of the most important, original, and controversial works of cultural history in recent years.""

from Google book search

“The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly - it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over” Joseph Goebbels

some news accounts that mention spitting do exist, although there has been no visual evidence to support those accounts. After a review of contemporary news sources, Northwestern Law School professor James Lindgren documented dozens of news accounts that discussed spitting.[citation needed] A December 27, 1971, television report on CBS Evening News, for example, told of a returning veteran named Delmar Pickett who said he was spat on in Seattle. [1][2] Spitting Image contrasts with author and columnist Bob Greene's 1989 book Homecoming in which Greene interviews several dozen Vietnam veterans and focuses on firsthand accounts of mistreatment from anti-war protesters. [3]Greene's book contains 63 accounts of spitting. Lembke claims that Greene's accounts to "have elements of such exaggeration that one has to question the veracity of the entire account." He also points out that there were several newspaper accounts of pro-war demonstrators spitting on anti-war demonstrators and suggests that these accounts may have been reinterpreted over the years.[4] Yet the recently uncovered evidence of contemporaneous accounts of spitting have forced Lembke to retreat from his more extreme prior claims, such as: "The truth is that nobody spat on Vietnam veterans." [5] Now Lembke appears to acknowledge that there likely were some incidents of actual spitting.

PS....Your post shows you are a scumbag...

Where's your logic?

You don't get full clearance to bring an automatic weapon into an airplane terminal whenever the hell you feel like it.

Hey Pale - he must have missed this part of my original post

All baggage was x-rayed with a ‘backscatter’ machine AND each bag was completely emptied and hand searched. After being searched, checked bags were marked and immediately placed in a secure container. Carry on bags were then x rayed again to ensure no contraband items were taken on the plane. While waiting for the bus to the airport, all personnel were in quarantined in a fenced area and were not allowed to leave.” Nevertheless, Oakland forbade them from entering its terminal.

Some on the kook left is once agin showing how they really fell about the US military, and those who point it out are the real bad guys

And you apparently didn't read your own article. Oakland airport didn't know any of that...they were under the impression that the soldiers had not been TSA screened at all. So blame the charter flight...oh wait then you wouldn't get to smear leftist with lying propaganda.

They were screened by security, how is this an outrage? Why do some websites claim they were spit on when they weren't. Why is this more important than the failed war POLICY?

You've conveniently missed the point.....

ALL bags were emptied and hand searched....?
I've done some flying since 9/11 and NEVER have seen ALL BAGS emptied and HAND SEARCHED anywhere.....
and especially US troops should not be forbidden to enter any fuckin' airline terminal in the country.....

You've conveniently missed the point.....

ALL bags were emptied and hand searched....?
I've done some flying since 9/11 and NEVER have seen ALL BAGS emptied and HAND SEARCHED anywhere.....
and especially US troops should not be forbidden to enter any fuckin' airline terminal in the country.....

Wow...what a dishonest piece of shit you are. Oakland airport was unaware that any of that screening had occurred . Hence it was acting as if it had NOT occurred.

And you know that how? Through BS you read online? lol - You forget Bush Jr and Cheney, draft dodgers par excellence.

Got news for you Mr Revisionist ... we went to pick my old man up at Oakland and the place was crawling with libtards talking all kinds of shit and getting the faces of the military people.

Oh, and I didn't "just read it" ... I was there. So DO try again.

Got news for you Mr Revisionist ... we went to pick my old man up at Oakland and the place was crawling with libtards talking all kinds of shit and getting the faces of the military people.

Oh, and I didn't "just read it" ... I was there. So DO try again.

Way back when, while the VW was still going on, Mike Royko wrote about the problems of returning troops. So assuming Mr R had a great return, honestly, others didn't.

Way back when, while the VW was still going on, Mike Royko wrote about the problems of returning troops. So assuming Mr R had a great return, honestly, others didn't.

Maybe midcan had a rosey as Hell trip. That's real nice. But it doesn't give him the right to speak for everyone in every airport.

Forum List

Back