Returning to the Pre-9/11 Mentality?

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Haven't You Heard? The World Is Now A Very Safe Place
By Daniel Pipes
December 20, 2005

Unlike most Americans, 9/11 made me feel more secure. Finally, the country was focused on issues that had long worried me.

"The FBI is engaged in the largest operation in its history," I wrote in late 2001, "armed marshals will again be flying on US aircraft, and the immigration service has placed foreign students under increased scrutiny. I feel safer when Islamist organizations are exposed, illicit money channels closed down, and immigration regulations reviewed. The amassing of American forces near Iraq and Afghanistan cheers me. The newfound alarm is healthy, the sense of solidarity heartening, the resolve is encouraging."

But I agonized whether it would last. "Are Americans truly ready to sacrifice liberties and lives to prosecute seriously the war against militant Islam? I worry about US constancy and purpose."

And right I was to worry, for the alarm, solidarity, and resolve of late 2001 have lately plummeted, returning us to a roughly pre-9/11 mentality. A number of recent developments leave me pessimistic. Within the United States:

for full article: http://www.jewishworldreview.com/1205/pipes2005_12_20.php3

Returning? How about "RETURNED"? We're in the same old arrogant lethargy we as a Nation usually are in. 9/11. AQ and bin Laden have been overshadowed by the continual left-wing barrage on Bush for invading Iraq, finally reaching a crescendo last month with the left all but surrendering for us.

I wonder IF the Republicans are going to wake up and realize they have the power before they lose it.

I agree that the 'masses' have, egged on by MSM. Their gut though, tells them this is wrong. The administration is finally putting out their side, where they can regarding national security. Looking at the polls, it's resonating.

Kathianne said:
I agree that the 'masses' have, egged on by MSM. Their gut though, tells them this is wrong. The administration is finally putting out their side, where they can regarding national security. Looking at the polls, it's resonating.

About time is all I can say. They've had the power for almost 6 years and still continue to react to the Dim's as if they are the minority.

GunnyL said:
About time is all I can say. They've had the power for almost 6 years and still continue to react to the Dim's as if they are the minority.
Exactly. What they were thinking? Anybody's guess. They speak of Katrina, but why did they think waiting until September was a good idea? They should have been hammering on this last March!

GunnyL said:

Gunny, I think its called "trying to work with the oppostion." This has been the Republicans biggest mistake, trying to work with the Democrats in the Senate and the House. Republicans need to get the message that there is no working with the leaders of the current Democrat Party. There will be a knife in the back waiting for them no matter what. The Democrats held the power in this country for so long that they are having a very hard time realizing that they are no longer the majority party, and the Republicans no longer have to do things their way. I guess this is an understandable circumstance, but it's quite grievous to have to contend with on a day-to-day, year-after-year basis.

Adam's Apple said:
Gunny, I think its called "trying to work with the oppostion." This has been the Republicans biggest mistake, trying to work with the Democrats in the Senate and the House. Republicans need to get the message that there is no working with the leaders of the current Democrat Party. There will be a knife in the back waiting for them no matter what. The Democrats held the power in this country for so long that they are having a very hard time realizing that they are no longer the majority party, and the Republicans no longer have to do things their way. I guess this is an understandable circumstance, but it's quite grievous to have to contend with on a day-to-day, year-after-year basis.

I completely agree. What a lot of people don't realize/remember, Bush is actually a damned-good bipartisan politician. No way could he have been Governor here for 8 years without appealing to moderate liberals. I also recall in the beginning of his first term as President, trying his best to extend the olive branch to the Dem's.

It's been nothing BUT an accusation-fest from the left since.

I think the Republicans in general are making a mistake by not exercising the power they have. They were put into office for THAT reason. People who are tired of the same old smoke-n-mirrors from the Dem's wanted a change. We voted in the means to that change; yet, the Republicans have yet to step up to the plate.

Frustrating as Hell ......

GunnyL said:
Returning? How about "RETURNED"? We're in the same old arrogant lethargy we as a Nation usually are in. 9/11. AQ and bin Laden have been overshadowed by the continual left-wing barrage on Bush for invading Iraq, finally reaching a crescendo last month with the left all but surrendering for us.

I wonder IF the Republicans are going to wake up and realize they have the power before they lose it.

Might have something to do with the fact that the average American unaffected directly by 9/11 has had to make ZERO sacrifice in the war on terror.

Forum List

Back