Retirement Plan

Retirement? Anyone under 45 who expects they will ever be able to retire is laughable, unless they're independently wealthy.

Retirement? Anyone under 45 who expects they will ever be able to retire is laughable, unless they're independently wealthy.

??? Isn't everyone by the time they retire -- not stop working, retire -- independently wealthy enough, even if not a multimillionaire, that they can afford themselves without having to work? Isn't being able to afford oneself without having to work the very definition of the "independent" part of "independently wealthy?" That is the point of retiring, isn't it? The "wealthy" part is relative.

??? Isn't everyone by the time they retire -- not stop working, retire -- independently wealthy enough, even if not a multimillionaire, that they can afford themselves without having to work?

I'm 42, married, and just bought a home. I do not expect that my pension will exist in another 20+ years. Under that circumstance, there is no way I could ever consider retiring.

??? Isn't everyone by the time they retire -- not stop working, retire -- independently wealthy enough, even if not a multimillionaire, that they can afford themselves without having to work?

I'm 42, married, and just bought a home. I do not expect that my pension will exist in another 20+ years. Under that circumstance, there is no way I could ever consider retiring.

Okay...Well, you know what your options are:
  • Reduce expenses
  • Increase revenue
  • Both.
Neither of those things may happen overnight, but it's on you to make one, the other or both happen if retiring is something you have set as a goal. If you don't aim to retire, fine, but in that case, it really doesn't matter whether you're ever wealthy enough to do so, right?

BTW, why is this topic in the Education subforum? I don't see any connection yet raised between education and retiring.

Edit:
I just realized I'm "ignoring" the OP-er. Maybe there's a connection made in the OP.

• Reduce expenses
  • Increase revenue
  • Both.
Neither of those things may happen overnight, but it's on you to make one, the other or both happen if retiring is something you have set as a goal. If you don't aim to retire, fine, but in that case, it really doesn't matter whether you're ever wealthy enough to do so, right?

Neither option is possible. I never really expected to retire. Now, I hardly expect to survive the next 4 years, so it's probably a moot point.

• Reduce expenses
  • Increase revenue
  • Both.

Neither option is possible. I never really expected to retire. Now, I hardly expect to survive the next 4 years, so it's probably a moot point.

Okay. Well, that at least means retiring and effective financial management aren't terribly important considerations for you. That's got to be liberating.

Okay. Well, that at least means retiring and effective financial management aren't terribly important considerations for you. That's got to be liberating.

Somewhat. Not really loving the thought of leaving my wife a widow in the next 4 years, or barring that, working for my employer for another 30 years, but without other options, you come to accept it.

Somewhat. Not really loving the thought of leaving my wife a widow in the next 4 years, or barring that, working for my employer for another 30 years, but without other options, you come to accept it.

Red:
As well one should.

• Reduce expenses
  • Increase revenue
  • Both.

spweh.jpg

Very interesting point. I worked with people over 50. That is not retirement age, never has been, but it is evident, that the brain function slows down. By the time of age 60, they can only do work at their own pace. This is true, even if the work contains nothing new, and it is repetitive. Even if it is as simple as financial sales or real estate.

Very interesting point. I worked with people over 50. That is not retirement age, never has been, but it is evident, that the brain function slows down. By the time of age 60, they can only do work at their own pace. This is true, even if the work contains nothing new, and it is repetitive. Even if it is as simple as financial sales or real estate.

This too is changing, however. People are not only living longer, but living longer better.

This too is changing, however. People are not only living longer, but living longer better.

Al Sharpton (?) wrote a book titled "Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot". In that book, there is a chapter called something like "oh the nursing home". It starts by saying, that the life expectancy will soon be around 150 years, out of which your first 50 will be good, second 50 will be not so good, and 3rd 50 will be absolutely horrible.

People will be living longer, but the word better is dubious, because the slower brain function is already putting them at a definite disadvantage compared to their competitors worldwide. Especially considering the huge extra number of ~ 20 year olds in almost every 3rd world country.

Edit: sorry, Al Franken wrote the book. My keyboard layout messed it up.

Last edited:

Al Sharpton (?) wrote a book titled "Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot". In that book, there is a chapter called something like "oh the nursing home". It starts by saying, that the life expectancy will soon be around 150 years, out of which your first 50 will be good, second 50 will be not so good, and 3rd 50 will be absolutely horrible.

People will be living longer, but the word better is dubious, because the slower brain function is already putting them at a definite disadvantage compared to their competitors worldwide. Especially considering the huge extra number of ~ 20 year olds in almost every 3rd world country.

I agree that living well and productively is more appealing than is living longer.

I agree that living well and productively is more appealing than is living longer.

The idea of "Obama death panels" is invented by those retirees who don't work at all and live comfortably on their 401k/IRA investments, an option no longer inflatable for the workers of the 21st century.

The idea of "Obama death panels" is invented by those retirees who don't work at all and live comfortably on their 401k/IRA investments, an option no longer inflatable for the workers of the 21st century.

You realize I'm not going to respond in substance to catchpenny rhetoric like that, right?

Teachers pensions will suffer same fate as teamster pensions........
Yes and it will bankrupt the teaching profession the same way as the teamster pension bankrupted the teamsters. ... Wait the teachers are also tax sponsored, so that will bankrupt every taxpayer too. Yeeppeeee.
teamster pension was stolen......plain and simple by the union boss'..........it will be the end of the teamsters though I agree......try hiring people when they know the pension wont be there........those days are here......and so the end is near

Forum List

Back