Retirement age at 69? Deficit plan hits Social Security.

How do you feel about retirement? Inevitably the retirement age will be raised. The system just won't support people living off of SS the length of time that modern medicine has created for the elderly. Of course, the cost of that modern medicine is also high, and healthcare costs keep rising each year, but we can all pay for that.

Of course, many will be unable to work because of chronic health problems. I guess all the healthy people can just work harder to pay for the SS disability checks for the unhealthy. I wonder if unemployment will go up because the old folks will need to work until they're 69?

Retirement age at 69? Deficit plan hits Social Security. - CSMonitor.com

When I retire I will refuse social security.

If I could afford to, I would too.
I'm sure Porky Limbaugh SAYS the same-thing.

:rolleyes:

People are going to have to stop spending all their money, and start saving for retirement, and stop expecting the government to save their butts.

I'll tell you, I was widowed when my youngest two children were 1 and 3. My children receive social security totaling $2400 a month. That's about $27,000 a year. A $400,000 life insurance policy on our part would have accomplished the same thing. Term life insurance is very affordable.

I wonder how well I would be situated being allowed to invest the money I pay into FICA, and instead invest it in Mutual Funds? Wouldn't that also be better for the American economy?
Lemme guess.....you weren't all-that-heavily-invested, in Wall Street, (any time) in the last-fifteen-years, right?? :eusa_eh:

How do you feel about retirement? Inevitably the retirement age will be raised. The system just won't support people living off of SS the length of time that modern medicine has created for the elderly. Of course, the cost of that modern medicine is also high, and healthcare costs keep rising each year, but we can all pay for that.

Of course, many will be unable to work because of chronic health problems. I guess all the healthy people can just work harder to pay for the SS disability checks for the unhealthy. I wonder if unemployment will go up because the old folks will need to work until they're 69?

When I retire I will refuse social security.

Bullshit.

LOL!!!!!!!!

529.gif

That was my first inclination, as well (as a reply), but I couldn't help-but-think the poster sounded much-too-young to make such a decision.​

Raising the retirement age for social security will be by far the easiest pill to swallow. The other recommendations are going to be a lot tougher. Planned cuts in Medicare reimbursements will hit seniors very hard. The 15 cent a gallon gas tax will hit everyone. Cutting 10% of federal workforce will be less controversial but hard to get through congress. I'm sure there is more to come since the report is not due for another month.

I suspect this deficit reduction commission's recommendation will be just about as effective as previous commissions and committees. I doubt that congress will act until the ratings on treasury bills are downgraded.

The proposals from Simpson and Bowles would be phased in over time; here are the three most important cuts to benefits:

1. Benefits formula: Simpson and Bowles recommend some highly technical changes to the formula used to determine benefits. This is the biggest single change, reducing the Social Security Trust Fund (SSTF) long-term shortfall by 45 percent. These changes would affect the way Social Security averages workers' lifetime earnings to determine benefits.

2. Boost the retirement age. The full benefits retirement age would rise to 68 by 2050, and 69 by 2075. Reform advocates and actuaries argue that we'll all need to work longer due to rising longevity rates. But it's important to understand that boosting Social Security's full retirement age is a lifetime benefit cut for everyone, no matter when you retire. Earlier this year, advocates at Social Security Works calculated that raising the full retirement age to 70 from 67 would reduce lifetime benefits by 19 percent for a worker entitled to a monthly payment of $1,000.

Working longer is a key strategy for improving retirement security – for knowledge workers and professionals best positioned to pull it off. It doesn't work well for workers who do physically demanding low income jobs. Simpson and Bowles are recommending a "hardship exception" for certain occupations where working longer isn't an option, but the devil will be in the details. Ask anyone who has struggled to qualify for Social Security disability payments – the process is long and complicated

Most chronic health issues are due to poor lifestyle choices.

We need to stop enabling overeating, drug and alcohol abuse, and sloth.
Hmmmmmmmmmm......a "conservative" nanny-state, right?? :eusa_eh:

Would we have death-panels to deal with bloated/obese drug-addicts???? :eusa_angel:

rush-limbaugh-big-fat-idiot-dittohead-hillbilly-heroin-oxycodine-180x180.jpg

:clap2:

It's not bullshit. It's a fact. I have more than enough to last me the rest of my life and I could retire right now and live quite comfortably.

If you don't want the money, can you sign the checks over to me?

I will provide a savings account they can be directly deposited into

Between your unemployment benefits ar your foodstamps, I'm sure you'll see some of it.

You know us Libruls never work for anything....we get everything in life handed to us

free-stuff.jpg.gif

Last edited:

Forum List

Back