Retire full time in Mexico?

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Hell, they want here so bad? Ok. Then why not go there and live? Been watching a lot of vids about ex pats moving to dinky little towns down there. Here are a couple:

Anyone consider doing this themselves?

Problem is...this Jerry Brown dude seems a tad..um...snakey? He never responds to questions asked that were posted by others, either. I wonder if he gets money for his youtube vids? Anyway...350 bucks a month sounds pretty good. But, healthcare is a big question. And, I watched another vid about cartels taking over smaller towns so there is that.

Too much crime and very poor healthcare

Two more years, I'm moving from Southern Cal to Southern Utah

Hell, they want here so bad? Ok. Then why not go there and live? Been watching a lot of vids about ex pats moving to dinky little towns down there. Here are a couple:

Problem is...this Jerry Brown dude seems a tad..um...snakey? He never responds to questions asked that were posted by others, either. I wonder if he gets money for his youtube vids? Anyway...350 bucks a month sounds pretty good. But, healthcare is a big question. And, I watched another vid about cartels taking over smaller towns so there is that.

The problem is you can't really "own" any land down there. They can nationalize it and take it from you at their whim. The country is corrupt beyond belief. So long as you keep paying off the Federales they will leave you alone, but piss one of them off and you're toast. Add to that the drug cartel violence and Mexico is a country that is best avoided.

I don't care about owning. Can't afford to buy and nobody to leave it to anyway. The corruptness is what scares me. And a mexican jail.

I don't care about owning. Can't afford to buy and nobody to leave it to anyway. The corruptness is what scares me. And a mexican jail.

Yup. If you have money you can do OK down there so long as you stay in your little ex pat area. But if you don't have a lot of money you are going to get screwed over.

I don't have a lot of money. :(
It sounded good. Looked good. The temps perfect. Tropical. But...........

well, oh well. Guess I will have to stay in Calimexia.

You would do much better in Costa Rica or Belize.

I'm probably too old to do such a trek. And Belize is overrun with cartels now too.

Only in the highlands. Along the coastal strip it's still OK and will remain so for as long as the government stays stable.

Yeah..but how long will they stay stable? Too frigging old now. It was just a thought. I already talked myself out of doing more investigations on it.

no trust at all in 'mexico' or anywhere South of USA Border . Some 'mexican marines supposedly just shot 3 [so called] americans . --- Three U.S. citizens found dead near the border in 2014 were executed by Mexican Marines, government agency concludes --- course i figure that these 3 or 4 may have been enemies or bad guys themselves but who will ever know . I knew a guy , 100 percent gringo in the late 60s , early 70s who disappeared while hitch hiking in ' mexico' and who was said to have been shot dead in 'mexico' . Many areas in 'mexico' are said to be dangerous for Americans according to USA State Department . .

Costa Rica is a nice country and cost of living is very low. One great thing about that country is they do not have a standing army. Imagine that.

I have seriously considered moving there, but the wife won't go. So...I am screwed. Oh well.

With a bit of money, one can live like a king or queen in Costa Rica. Beautiful country and great people.

At one time I had considered moving to Baja Mexico upon retiring.

Those plans were cancelled when it became apparent that extortion payments were necessary if you wished to live in relative piece.

Sea of Cortez, Baja California.

7 acres of prime beachfront property. $87000.00

You apply for retirement.

You have to live as a temporary resident for 4 years.

After 4 years you must apply for permanent residency or you must leave the country.

You must have substantial assets or proof that you are self supporting and self sufficient.

You must have health insurance.

You must have a basic understanding of the Spanish language.

not worth it to me , too much violence , every Gringo is a target .

Forum List

Back