Rethinking Opposition to the Healthcare Bill

To those that support the idea of allowing companies to sell across state lines, please lay out how you think that would reduce health insurance premiums.

Many states require insurers to cover conditions that most people do not need, one example of this is covering rehab for alcohol and drug abuse. This means that if you live in one of those states you are paying for rehab, and any other health conditions that result from someone who abuses drugs. If you were able to shop across state lines, and know that you do not have a drug or alcohol problem, you could shop for a policy that did not cover this, thus saving you money. If you look at your health insurance you will see everything that it covers, all of which you pay for.

There is more to selling insurance across state lines than this.

To those that support the idea of allowing companies to sell across state lines, please lay out how you think that would reduce health insurance premiums.

Many states require insurers to cover conditions that most people do not need, one example of this is covering rehab for alcohol and drug abuse. This means that if you live in one of those states you are paying for rehab, and any other health conditions that result from someone who abuses drugs. If you were able to shop across state lines, and know that you do not have a drug or alcohol problem, you could shop for a policy that did not cover this, thus saving you money. If you look at your health insurance you will see everything that it covers, all of which you pay for.

There is more to selling insurance across state lines than this.

You asked how I thought it would reduce insurance premiums, not how complicated it is.

My main opposition is that I read the Caterpillar, 3M etc complaints of how much it would cost them and that heads would roll. I thought America was heading down a scary road. HOWEVER, we are not seeing these negative effects. Without these negative effects, the positives might outweigh the negatives:
(1) Getting rid of preexisting condition:
No one cares about this until it effects you personally. My brother-in-law has MS. His ex-wife and him had insurance through a corporation she started. With the marriage over 4 months ago. she dropped him immediately from her insurance. Not sure if anyone knows the cost of MS, but its enormous. The drugs are insane and the doctor visits and test cost an arm and a leg. Its nutz. After she dropped him, he tried to get insurance. Guess what! He couldn't get it ANYWHERE! He went to the Ichips program, it has a 8 month waiting period and then it doesn't cover his doctors and not all his medicine. In other words, he is screwed. Its been months since he has had his medicine and he is getting decidedly worse.

(2) Requiring everyone to get insurance:
It sounded unfair at first, but when you think about it. Its pretty damn unfair that MY insurance bills are so high to cover all the people without insurance. Young people who seem healthy today (like me - I haven't been in a doctors office, other than a physical in 5 years), can get sick tomorrow or get injured. Sorry hospitals shouldn't have to force the bill upon payors.

What I don't like:
(1) They didn't allow for further competition across state lines
(2) They didn't find a way to get insurance away from employer based plans.
(3) Did nothing to deal with the 10 lb Gorilla in the room! Illegal immigrants destroying emergency rooms budgets and getting free healthcare at our expense!

All and all I am going to look at the bill in a new light and wait until we start seeing how it changes things and withhold my opinions until then.

Thank you for making the choice for me. I know freedom use to be a good thing but now I understand that you can just with them away from me without my consent. I'm less sympathetic to your MS plight now.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back