Retailers in Big Trouble: horrible cut in Spending on Black Friday

American consumers shopped more for bargains at the start of the U.S. holiday season and spent significantly less than a year ago, according to early data released on Sunday.

Consumers said they will have spent nearly 8 percent less on average, or about $343 per person, over the weekend that includes U.S. Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday and runs through Sunday, according to the National Retail Federation.

While traffic to stores and retail websites rose to 195 million people from 172 million in 2008, the early data this weekend represents a worrisome sign for retailers, who had braced for weak sales and sought ways to protect margins.

Data released by ShopperTrak on Saturday showed that sales rose a scant 0.5 percent on Black Friday, which is often the single busiest day of the holiday shopping season.

US Shoppers Spent Less Over Black Friday: NRF - Retail * US * News * Story - CNBC.com

With all due respect Neubarth, this is a pointless thread. It's well recognized that jobs haven't been added yet, so there's still very little money to be spending collectively.

At some point, the liquidity that the Fed has created will enter the economy, and companies will hire again. And then people will spend again.

Of course, this isn't something that I think is a very fruitful endeavor anyway, but eventually people will spend again.

I can't figure out if you're just a paranoid bear in general, or you're actually stuck short and want desperately to exit your positions and erase a lot of red on your broker account page.

You are wrong on all counts. The thread serves to warn people that all of the thousands and thousands of lies that have come out of Washington in the past ten months have had no substance to them. Now, I have pointed out the lies as they have spewed forth. The Obama administration is the most horribly immoral in world history. I am an historian and know all about the criminal behavior of the Grant and Harding administrations. They pale in comparison to that of the stinking Obama administration. He is the most corrupt son of a slut in American history. Lies about unemployment. Lies about Unemployment insurance claims. Lies about earnings (All the companies have taken a cue from this corrupt administration.) Coercion with the Big Banks. Obama is letting them have their way with him and with the stock market. I have been long this market all but two weeks in time. I shorted for the fifth time since March today. I have been wrong twice on shorting and right twice. This time we will find out if I am more wrong than right. The corruption is so manifest that even today, if you listened to the commentary coming from Washington, you would most likely believe that American Auto Sales were soaring (or at least strongly positive). The reality is that they were down ten percent from November of last year. In November of last year they were down about 44 percent from the November of the previous year. So, sales are still falling, but by wording what they said, in such a way that they made people think everything was going up and up . They have done that with almost all economic news releases since March. Corrupt as hell. Durable goods orders have plunged and have not improved. Actual unemployment is over 22 percent based upon independent unemployment surveys. Did you notice the lies this morning? Can you tell me how the government was deceiving the people right out of the chute as the market opened? Let's see how intelligent you are. Tell me what those lying sacks of shit did.

I'm with you on not believing the government hype, trust me.

But we're in one of the worst recessions in history. You're really only pointing out the obvious and expected circumstances during such.

Macy's reported slightly improved sales over this time last year, but still far below what is expected for black friday. At least they have a black bottom line.

With all due respect Neubarth, this is a pointless thread. It's well recognized that jobs haven't been added yet, so there's still very little money to be spending collectively.

At some point, the liquidity that the Fed has created will enter the economy, and companies will hire again. And then people will spend again.

Of course, this isn't something that I think is a very fruitful endeavor anyway, but eventually people will spend again.

I can't figure out if you're just a paranoid bear in general, or you're actually stuck short and want desperately to exit your positions and erase a lot of red on your broker account page.

You are wrong on all counts. The thread serves to warn people that all of the thousands and thousands of lies that have come out of Washington in the past ten months have had no substance to them. Now, I have pointed out the lies as they have spewed forth. The Obama administration is the most horribly immoral in world history. I am an historian and know all about the criminal behavior of the Grant and Harding administrations. They pale in comparison to that of the stinking Obama administration. He is the most corrupt son of a slut in American history. Lies about unemployment. Lies about Unemployment insurance claims. Lies about earnings (All the companies have taken a cue from this corrupt administration.) Coercion with the Big Banks. Obama is letting them have their way with him and with the stock market. I have been long this market all but two weeks in time. I shorted for the fifth time since March today. I have been wrong twice on shorting and right twice. This time we will find out if I am more wrong than right. The corruption is so manifest that even today, if you listened to the commentary coming from Washington, you would most likely believe that American Auto Sales were soaring (or at least strongly positive). The reality is that they were down ten percent from November of last year. In November of last year they were down about 44 percent from the November of the previous year. So, sales are still falling, but by wording what they said, in such a way that they made people think everything was going up and up . They have done that with almost all economic news releases since March. Corrupt as hell. Durable goods orders have plunged and have not improved. Actual unemployment is over 22 percent based upon independent unemployment surveys. Did you notice the lies this morning? Can you tell me how the government was deceiving the people right out of the chute as the market opened? Let's see how intelligent you are. Tell me what those lying sacks of shit did.

I'm with you on not believing the government hype, trust me.

But we're in one of the worst recessions in history. You're really only pointing out the obvious and expected circumstances during such.

Actually there, podner, I am a life long Democrat. I am still registered as a Democrat. I had hope that Obama would be the salvation of America. Instead, he has been the curse on America. As a dreamer, I still have hope, just like the man who has found that his wife is a compulsive whore who likes the money she brings in. He wants her to stop, but she won't because his pay check is not big enough for her.

Obama is our whore. Say it loud and say it proud! Obama is our whore.

We need to move on. Evict him as a traitor to the American ideal. He has sold his soul to the Military Industrial Complex that Eisenhower warned us about and against.

Forum List

Back