Retail Sales are UP one percent. Wow!

Neubarth

At the Ballpark July 30th
Nov 8, 2008
South Pacific
Forget the recession. Sales going up are the first indication that we are starting to recover. Now, do we need the Stimulus Bill????

You said the same shit about car sales, and then the media releases the numbers on them and the big 3 are all 50% loss or more.

Retail sales are not UP. Retail is getting fucked in the ass right now.

Where do you get your info from?? One day you come in talking about depressions, S&P going to 600, shipping is dead. And then another day you come in with made up numbers talking about how great things are looking.

You're a clown.

Forget the recession. Sales going up are the first indication that we are starting to recover. Now, do we need the Stimulus Bill????

Several different indicators, are showing that the economy is going to rebound on its own soon. Home sales were up last month by 6%. Other factors also are looking better.

One thing to keep in mind is major monetary policy actions usually take 7 to 12 months to have an effect. So the effects of the 350 Billion the Fed already spent are just now going to be felt. This is at the core of why this Huge Stimulus will not work. Even if it was a well thought out stimulus. Any positive effect it has will be in 7 to 12 months, when it is likely the economy will already be rebounding. It is possible the strain this bill puts on Credit and cash supplies will actually hurt more than it helps.

It is absolutely for sure that in the long run, this Bill will Hurt more Than it helps, as with interest it will add nearly 1.3 Trillion to our over all debt.

I have to say this to be honest. Obama inherited a very hard situation to get out of. If we did the ration thing, which would be to lower tax burdens, and Gut wasteful spending. We might actually see real progress toward getting out of this Hole.

Instead he has let the Far left Congressional Leadership run the show, and we have ended up with a bloated, wasteful spending package, that have little positive effect on the economy, and even that will be short lived. Which will then add significantly in a negative way to the underlying problem. DEBT!!!

I can not say this enough. I am sure I sound like a broken record.

STOP THE DEFICIT SPENDING NOW.

Stop the Blame game. We all know Bush more than doubled our National Debt. He screwed us hard. However blaming Bush does not get the Dems off the Hook. If What Bush did was so so bad, then what the Dems are doing is doubling down on a bad idea. Borrowing or Printing us further into a hole.

This problem is so important today that I no longer think of myself even as a conservative. I would gladly watch all sorts of Liberal Social Ideas go into place, if only it could be done with out deficit spending.

Really nothing else matters. Not health care, not Global warming, not energy, not anything, if we do not get this spending under control, none of it will matter one bit, because the US government will collapse under the weight of Debt.

Please Liberal, Conservative, Democrat, Republican, or Other. We must all send the same message to DC. Get the Budget Balanced before all else. Stop fiddling while Rome Burns. Actually they are doing far worse than fiddling while it burns. They are in effect running around with torches lighting everything not already burning, on fire.

This is nothing telling. Clothing and tech products are dirt cheap in this deflationary environment, and no doubt play a role in retail sales being "up". Also post-xmas fire sales probably had a lot to do with it as well.

This is not necessarily indicative of the economy turning a corner.

When we see multiple months of this, with the percentage gradually increasing, then we'll talk.

You said the same shit about car sales, and then the media releases the numbers on them and the big 3 are all 50% loss or more.

Retail sales are not UP. Retail is getting fucked in the ass right now.

Where do you get your info from?? One day you come in talking about depressions, S&P going to 600, shipping is dead. And then another day you come in with made up numbers talking about how great things are looking.

You're a clown.
A clown, huh? And you are a childish troll who should be banned from the board. Witness, I have never said that auto sales would be up. I did post that Morniing star said they would be up from their lows. That was not my opinion but theirs. Damn, your post shows low IQ. You can not differentiate between the person putting the report on the board and the person who wrote it. Most people can differentiate. If you focus, you can try.

Now, I know that you are very ignorant and poorly read as you have consistently shown that to be the case. The United States government puts out reports on the economy all of the time. Usually they are released in the morning between 0800 and 1000 Eastern Time. Go check out your stats there on Retail Sales. I am not responsible for the figures. I just report and offer some limited comment on what they say.

You on the other hand, only Troll on this board. Why do you waste other people's time with such nonsense?

This is nothing telling. Clothing and tech products are dirt cheap in this deflationary environment, .....

Paulie, again, you do not know what you are talking about. Read, man, READ!

We are not in a deflationary environment. At least not yet. We are still experiencing inflation in this country . Personally, I think clothing and food and tech products are too expensive and I would welcome a few months of deflation.

Several different indicators, are showing that the economy is going to rebound on its own soon. Home sales were up last month by 6%. Other factors also are looking better. Please Liberal, Conservative, Democrat, Republican, or Other. We must all send the same message to DC. Get the Budget Balanced before all else. Stop fiddling while Rome Burns. Actually they are doing far worse than fiddling while it burns. They are in effect running around with torches lighting everything not already burning, on fire.

Charles Main that was a damned good post. The only thing I disagree with is the need for an urgent balanced budget. I see room for a little overspending, but I would like to see a balanced budget as our goal. Strong fiscal conservatives like Bill Clinton and John Fitzgerald Kennedy come along only every forty years or so. I do not see any fiscal conservatives in the administration or in the Republican party right now.

I always welcome stimulus bills. I haven't seen one in a very long time and don't expect to see one anytime soon. Perhaps the next President will offer one, provided we don't go bankrupt with Obama at the helm.

Personally, I'd be looking at at LEAST a year until things start looking better. It takes time to clean up a mess like the one the last admin left behind.

Well you gotta give Obama and the dems credit, the largest spending bill in the history of the universe is certainly a good way to start the clean up ......... :lol:

I really hope that the sales figures are evidence that the economy is turning around, but I have my serious doubts. We are going to have to see more evidence before getting excited.

But its a start.

Tell that to Circuit City, Mervyn's, Linens'n'things, or any of the other retailers that have had to close their doors due to this recession.

Are these statistics factoring the $0 sales these businesses made compared to last year, or excluding them from the survey because they went out of business?

Wow, Circuit City did a lot of Going out of Biz sales. LOL

Tell that to Circuit City, Mervyn's, Linens'n'things, or any of the other retailers that have had to close their doors due to this recession.

Are these statistics factoring the $0 sales these businesses made compared to last year, or excluding them from the survey because they went out of business?

Yes, they are.

There are many more retail bankruptcies to come. However, it is good to see some green shoots in the nuclear aftermath of the financial meltdown.

Sales going up 1% over last month indicates very little, I think.

Sales compared to the same month LAST YEAR (the typical measure of how retail is doing) are down 9%.

Do we NEED a stimulus package?

Well obviously SOME of us need stimulation much like those of the billionarie class that George W Bush pandered to for 8 years, NEEDED TAX cuts.

Last edited:
This is nothing telling. Clothing and tech products are dirt cheap in this deflationary environment, and no doubt play a role in retail sales being "up". Also post-xmas fire sales probably had a lot to do with it as well.

This is not necessarily indicative of the economy turning a corner.

When we see multiple months of this, with the percentage gradually increasing, then we'll talk.

SPOT ON

And as an expert in Retail....

January is CLEARANCE month....whatever you did not sell off at Christmas hits the racks dirt cheap....at a loss, in general....

Also, they are in the run of their lives to make year end figures...Fiscal year end for department stores is usually the end of January or the end of february...then storewide inventory immediately afterwards....the more sold off, the less on hand to inventory....thus the huge drops in prices to liquidate before such...

New Topics

Forum List

Back