Restrictive voting laws on rise...

How to Apply for a Welfare Program

To apply for a welfare program one must contact the local Human Service Department located in the government pages of the phone book. It may be listed as Human Services, Family Services or Adult and Family Services. An appointment is made with a case worker. The case worker will give a list of required documents needed at the appointment. Common documents asked for are proof of income, ID, and utility bills or other proof of residency.
Yes, and the type of id varies from state to state. Case officers have the option to grant limited aid with very little documentation. It all depends on the state.

Show me a state where photo ID isn't required.
Neither Massachusetts nor Illinois require photo ids to apply for welfare.

The State Board of Elections matched its database of 6.1 million registered voters with records at the Division of Motor Vehicles and found that 1 million voters did not have a NC driver’s license or identification card with matching name and address – a current, valid NC photo ID.
Out of the 1 million voters:

For Example, Blacks make up 22% of all Active voters, they are 32% of those without an ID, which means if you’re a Black Active voter, you’re 48% more likely to not have a current ID than other Active voters. Seniors over 65 are 20% of Active voters but 32% of those with no ID. Women and Democrats are also more likely to not have a current ID than men and Republicans.

Who doesn

I find this hard to believe.

In NC, do you need identification to apply for government assistance like food stamps?

If so then you want us to believe that of the 48 percent of blacks that do not possess a DL also don't recieve govt. assistance of any kind.

You can't apply for medicare without an ID. So chances are most old folks have a photo ID.

EDIT:
I noticed how you conveniently left out two important words. I included them in bold
As of April 7, 2011 there was no requirement for a photo id for food stamps. It however, has been proposed.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2011/Bills/House/PDF/H734v1.pdf

To receive public assistance, not only should the recipient show a photo ID, they should be required to pass a urinalysis test. Many decent, hard-working acquaintances of mine have to pass a UA to keep their jobs, and their paychecks.

Drug testing proponents like to argue that there are large numbers of drug users going on welfare to get money to support their habits. The claim feeds into long-standing stereotypes about the kind of people who go on welfare, but it does not appear to have much basis in fact.

Several studies, including a 1996 report from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, have found that there is no significant difference in the rate of illegal-drug use by welfare applicants and other people. Another study found that 70% of illegal-drug users between the age of 18 and 49 are employed full time.

Drug Testing the Poor: Bad Policy, Even Worse Law | TIME Ideas | TIME.com

How do people get along without State ID?
In most states it's not hard, if you live under the radar; that is you don't have a bank account, own property, drive a vehicle, or live as most middle class Americans do. You don't need a photo id to apply for Medicare. Since Medicaid is a state program, that varies with state. In most areas, you can get food stamps with just about any kind of id. In some places a library card is sufficient. For welfare, the type of welfare assistance and state requirements determine the need for ids.

If all Americans were required by law to have a photo id, then it would be reasonable to require one to vote, otherwise I don't think it's a good idea. All states issue voter id cards which can be asked for at the polling place. The source of most voter fraud is disenfranchisement, intimidation, misinformation, misrecording of votes, and absentee voting.

And at least 14 Democratic officials in 2 States. All charged with or convicted of Voter Fraud. Go figure.

To receive public assistance, not only should the recipient show a photo ID, they should be required to pass a urinalysis test. Many decent, hard-working acquaintances of mine have to pass a UA to keep their jobs, and their paychecks.

Drug testing proponents like to argue that there are large numbers of drug users going on welfare to get money to support their habits. The claim feeds into long-standing stereotypes about the kind of people who go on welfare, but it does not appear to have much basis in fact.

Several studies, including a 1996 report from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, have found that there is no significant difference in the rate of illegal-drug use by welfare applicants and other people. Another study found that 70% of illegal-drug users between the age of 18 and 49 are employed full time.

And as provided in this thread studies prove that Picture Ids have almost no bearing on voter suppression. Go figure.

The State Board of Elections matched its database of 6.1 million registered voters with records at the Division of Motor Vehicles and found that 1 million voters did not have a NC driver’s license or identification card with matching name and address – a current, valid NC photo ID.
Out of the 1 million voters:

For Example, Blacks make up 22% of all Active voters, they are 32% of those without an ID, which means if you’re a Black Active voter, you’re 48% more likely to not have a current ID than other Active voters. Seniors over 65 are 20% of Active voters but 32% of those with no ID. Women and Democrats are also more likely to not have a current ID than men and Republicans.

Who doesn

I find this hard to believe.

In NC, do you need identification to apply for government assistance like food stamps?

If so then you want us to believe that of the 48 percent of blacks that do not possess a DL also don't recieve govt. assistance of any kind.

You can't apply for medicare without an ID. So chances are most old folks have a photo ID.

EDIT:
I noticed how you conveniently left out two important words. I included them in bold
As of April 7, 2011 there was no requirement for a photo id for food stamps. It however, has been proposed.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2011/Bills/House/PDF/H734v1.pdf

You say no photo ID is required then you provide a link that states photo ID is required.:cuckoo:

Yes, and the type of id varies from state to state. Case officers have the option to grant limited aid with very little documentation. It all depends on the state.

Show me a state where photo ID isn't required.
Neither Massachusetts nor Illinois require photo ids to apply for welfare.

For Massashusetts:

To apply for TAFDC, you need the following documentation:

•Proof of identity and age (driver’s license, birth certificate, voter registration)

For Illinois:

During the application process, proof of residency will be required. To prove citizenship, the individual must also present a government-issued ID and proof of Social Security numbers for each member living in the home.

In most states it's not hard, if you live under the radar; that is you don't have a bank account, own property, drive a vehicle, or live as most middle class Americans do. You don't need a photo id to apply for Medicare. Since Medicaid is a state program, that varies with state. In most areas, you can get food stamps with just about any kind of id. In some places a library card is sufficient. For welfare, the type of welfare assistance and state requirements determine the need for ids.

If all Americans were required by law to have a photo id, then it would be reasonable to require one to vote, otherwise I don't think it's a good idea. All states issue voter id cards which can be asked for at the polling place. The source of most voter fraud is disenfranchisement, intimidation, misinformation, misrecording of votes, and absentee voting.

To apply for a welfare program one must contact the local Human Service Department located in the government pages of the phone book. It may be listed as Human Services, Family Services or Adult and Family Services. An appointment is made with a case worker. The case worker will give a list of required documents needed at the appointment. Common documents asked for are proof of income, ID, and utility bills or other proof of residency.

That's exact;y why we need a federal id. If they want welfare or the right to vote..get the ID. Simple enough. If they can;t bother to get an id, then welfare is out and your privilege to vote should not be spared.

"Drug testing proponents like to argue that there are large numbers of drug users going on welfare to get money to support their habits. "

I have written several times that the thought processes of the Left differ from those of the Right...and your post seems self-evident in that regard.

If your are correct, and folks who require said largesse are as drug-free as anyone else...why resist proving so?

If your argument is that welfare is the right of any citizen, and any bar to such is and should be illegal...then what was the necessity of "Several studies, including a 1996 report from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, have found that there is no significant difference..."?

It seems, rather, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Don't you agree?

That's exact;y why we need a federal id. If they want welfare or the right to vote..get the ID. Simple enough. If they can;t bother to get an id, then welfare is out and your privilege to vote should not be spared.
A national id card is an interesting political issue. There is certainly a privacy issue and many will argue that it infringes on personal freedom, however it can be of great benefit to law enforcement particular in securing our boarders. I have my doubt about it's value as an id to guard against voting and welfare fraud. Another drawback is cost. The cards that have biometric data encoded would be difficult to forge and would provide positive id but would be very expensive.

I suppose someday there will such an id that will be used for all identification, replacing credit cards, passports, driver's licenses, all other forms of id.

Forum List

Back