Restaurants to mitigate health care costs by cutting hours

well well, :eusa_shhh:

SNIP:

Operators evaluate money-saving options before the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act takes effect

October 17, 2012 | By Erin Dostal

In light of the passage of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, restaurant companies and franchisees are looking into ways to lower costs to save money, including cutting employee hours.

“What we’re seeing is that this health care law puts unique challenges on chain restaurants,” said Rob Green, executive director of the National Council of Chain Restaurants. “The law will have cost implications on a lot of different business sectors, but restaurants and retail are in the bull’s eye.”

Specifically, two parts of the PPACA may raise costs for restaurant chains: The definition of full-time employees as those who work 30 or more hours per week, rather than the traditional 37-40 hours per week, and the fact that the law applies to any business with more than 50 employees — a number some say will discourage franchise growth.

“These are going to be costs, and companies have to figure out how to manage them…the options are limited,” Green said. Many restaurant companies don’t know exactly how the health care law will impact them, he added, so this early analysis may be crucial.

all of it here
Read more: Restaurants to mitigate health care costs by cutting employee hours | Nation's Restaurant News

So those "false" claims of those who opposed obamacare are coming true in another area now?

First I lost my coverage from my employer due to obamacare's rules, then when I got my own insurance I couldn't get the same exact plan, then I had to get a new primary care doctor...........now employers are laying people off/cutting back hours.

McDonald's made over a billion dollars in profit last year. Burger King's profit was up 60%. Dine Equity, which owns Applebee's and IHOP, earned a profit of $27 million just in the last quarter of 2011.

The point is that they can afford any costs related to the ACA, but don't want to. Instead, they threaten to further screw their already underpaid employees.

This is just another example of corporations trying to frighten their employees into voting for Romney, the same as the Koch brothers have done with their letter threatening the loss of their jobs if Romney doesn't win.

Ask yourself this question: WHY are global corporations so afraid of Obama that they will do anything it takes, to anybody, to prevent his re-election? It's not that they haven't been profitable under his administration (they clearly have or they wouldn't have the billion dollars they've donated to prevent his re-election), so it must be something else, right?

Let me tell you what it is. They really are afraid that the tight bonds which link global corporations to the federal government might actually be broken, that their behind the scenes raiding of the public treasury might come to an end.

We all talk about how much control corporations have over our government. Here is a chance to really do something about it, but it will take voting for Obama to achieve it this time.

Do you REALLY want to win back our country from the influence of big money and big corporations? Badly enough to vote your future, rather than you emotions?

Weepy class warrior doesn't like the unintended consequences of Libtard programs.

LOL

I think tying health care to employment is foolish, but I don't see anyone purposing an alternative....

As to the "ACA is making us be shitty employers", I call bullshit. Next time you're eating at McDonalds or shopping at Walmart, take a moment at check out and talk to your cashier.

All the doom and gloom steps they are whining they will have to take, they have already been taking. We are and have been, in a serious recession. The 1st thing companies did when they realized profits were down was fuck over employees starting at the bottom and working up.

I worked for a big chain drugstore 5 years ago when the recession was just a dot in the economies eye. Over a 4 year period, I saw most of the full time employees( the bottom rung, cashier/stock boy positions) become phased out, the older workers were fired or pushed out, and many positions were simply never filled and one part time worker was now required to do the work of two. They also overhauled their healthcare package, shifted the cost more to the employees, and kicked as many as they could off company healthcare by bracketing employees in categories where anyone deemed "high risk" had to pay near double what they had before.

It's common sense capitalism. Pass any cost increases to employees 1st, and only once you've bled them dry do you look to other alternatives.

Last edited:
I fully support the ACA.

My GF has been pushed out of doctor office after doctor office for not having insurance. Not any longer!

Thank you President Obama.

It's common sense capitalism. Pass any cost increases to employees 1st, and only once you've bled them dry do you look to other alternatives.

It's only common sense to those corporations and managers who do not value their employees, who put maximum profit ahead of human beings. There are companies which HAVEN'T done that, which have taken a temporary reduction in profit to keep their valued workers.

Last edited:
Weepy class warrior doesn't like the unintended consequences of Libtard programs.

LOL

You may laugh if you like, but it IS class warfare and the latest round of it began with the Reagan revolution. Since that time, the GOP has not only catered to corporate interests as they've always done, but have systematically tapped their financial resources in return for allowing them to dictate policy.

Take a look at Tom Delay's K Street Project and tell me it isn't so.

I fully support the ACA.

My GF has been pushed out of doctor office after doctor office for not having insurance. Not any longer!

Thank you President Obama.

and possibly her employer or yours will be pushing you of a job. its sad to say but because its not happening to you doesnt mean its not happening.

btw she would get care going thru the ER. now peopl have to lose jobs because people voted on something they didnt fully understand.

Great....shitty service will sure help their business. Opens the door for more competition.

Well said.

The Fox Newsies in the thread offer the same tired straw men. They are pathetic.

So you think this "new" competition wont be operating under the same BS as the original businesses? That somehow it wont be a problem for them?

I think tying health care to employment is foolish, but I don't see anyone purposing an alternative....

As to the "ACA is making us be shitty employers", I call bullshit. Next time you're eating at McDonalds or shopping at Walmart, take a moment at check out and talk to your cashier.

All the doom and gloom steps they are whining they will have to take, they have already been taking. We are and have been, in a serious recession. The 1st thing companies did when they realized profits were down was fuck over employees starting at the bottom and working up.

I worked for a big chain drugstore 5 years ago when the recession was just a dot in the economies eye. Over a 4 year period, I saw most of the full time employees( the bottom rung, cashier/stock boy positions) become phased out, the older workers were fired or pushed out, and many positions were simply never filled and one part time worker was now required to do the work of two. They also overhauled their healthcare package, shifted the cost more to the employees, and kicked as many as they could off company healthcare by bracketing employees in categories where anyone deemed "high risk" had to pay near double what they had before.

Agree

This is what we get for condemning Universal Healthcare as "SOCIALSM"

Employers should not be in the middle of your healthcare decisions. Nor should they be burdened with ever increasing healthcare costs

Agree

Employers should not be in the middle of your healthcare decisions. Nor should they be burdened with ever increasing healthcare costs

Employers have no interest in healthy employees physically capable of doing the job? If they do, why shouldn't they bear a part of the cost, considering that they certainly benefit from healthy workers.

Agree

Employers have no interest in healthy employees physically capable of doing the job? If they do, why shouldn't they bear a part of the cost, considering that they certainly benefit from healthy workers.

define healthy because if u forget mentally, ill jump on it. this is the same as idiots who defend the helmet and seatbelt laws.

Agree

define healthy because if u forget mentally, ill jump on it. this is the same as idiots who defend the helmet and seatbelt laws.

Saved millions of lives and untold injuries

well well, :eusa_shhh:

SNIP:

Operators evaluate money-saving options before the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act takes effect

October 17, 2012 | By Erin Dostal

In light of the passage of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, restaurant companies and franchisees are looking into ways to lower costs to save money, including cutting employee hours.

“What we’re seeing is that this health care law puts unique challenges on chain restaurants,” said Rob Green, executive director of the National Council of Chain Restaurants. “The law will have cost implications on a lot of different business sectors, but restaurants and retail are in the bull’s eye.”

Specifically, two parts of the PPACA may raise costs for restaurant chains: The definition of full-time employees as those who work 30 or more hours per week, rather than the traditional 37-40 hours per week, and the fact that the law applies to any business with more than 50 employees — a number some say will discourage franchise growth.

“These are going to be costs, and companies have to figure out how to manage them…the options are limited,” Green said. Many restaurant companies don’t know exactly how the health care law will impact them, he added, so this early analysis may be crucial.

all of it here
Read more: Restaurants to mitigate health care costs by cutting employee hours | Nation's Restaurant News

Not just Restaurants doing this. This is perhaps the single worst part of the law. It will encourage Small Businesses all over the Country to Have more part time workers, as opposed to less full time workers.

But Why would Obama worry about that. They count a Part time Job the same as a Full time job when Calculating UE, so the Effect is to actually lower the UE numbers by having more Part time workers.

Agree

Many Employers do already bear a large Portion of the Costs. Problem is Obama's Law, which was suppose to make it cheaper has not, and in fact the Cost to Insure employees has gone way the fuck up.

The Libs totally screwed this up.
2,000 + pages...
Did anyone think this was gonna help businesses.
This thing was designed to stick it to business.

2,000 + pages...

It wasn't designed to help businesses. It was designed to help PEOPLE.

Which do YOU value most?

2,000 + pages...

It wasn't designed to help businesses. It was designed to help PEOPLE.

Which do YOU value most?

You realize that most people don't start a business as a community service, right? Most people start a business to make a living, earn a profit. Now I know 'profit' is a nasty word in your libtard lexicon, but many people don't see things that way.
I'm planning on building a bed and breakfast in another year. You know what, you can't afford to pay, you can rot in the rain. What benefits I choose to furnish my employees will be between them and me. Problem is, you cannot just reward the good employees with superior benefits, government interference forces you to provide the same for all, regardless of whether they work, or are no more than lazy asses claiming 'rights' to a paycheck. And if government decides that I cannot earn a living with my business, I will burn it to the ground and let government piss up a tree.

Forum List

Back