Restaurant Owner Saved His Business... By Keeping Black Diners Away

Tank

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2009
I'll get it out of the way and admit that what I am doing is racist, I myself am (reluctantly!) a racist, and I'm not about to argue that. I'm not proud of this, but I did what I had to to stay afloat for the sake of my family and my employees and I would do it again.

I own a family restaurant that competes with large chains like Applebee's, Chili's, and other similarly awful places. I started this restaurant over 20 years ago, my wife is our manager, both of my kids work here when they're not in college. Our whole life is tied up in this place, and while it's a ton of hard work, we love it.

I've always prided myself that we serve food that's much fresher and better prepared than the franchise guys, and for years a steady flow of regular customers seemed to prove me right. We're the kind of place that has a huge wall of pictures of our happy customers we've known forever. However, our business was hit really hard after the market crashed, to the point where the place looked like a ghost town. A lot of the people I've known for years lost their jobs and either moved away or simply couldn't afford to eat out anymore.

To cut to the chase, we were sinking fast, and before long it was clear we would lose the restaurant before the year was out. The whole family got together and we decided we would try our best to ride it out, and my kids insisted they take a semester off and work full time to spare us the two salaries. I'm very proud of my family for the way they came together. We really worked our butts off trying to keep the place going with the reduced staff.

Well the whole racist thing started after my wife was being verbally abused by a black family. I came over to see what the problem was, and a teenage boy in their group actually said "This dumb bitch brought me the wrong drink. We want a different waitress that ain't a dumb bitch." His whole family roared with laughter at this, parents included!

We had had a lot more black diners since the downturn, and this kind of thing was actually depressingly common. Normally I would just lie down and take this, give them a different server, and apologize to their current one in back. But this was the last straw for me. No way was I going to send my daughter out to get the same abuse from these awful people. I threw the whole bunch out, even though other than the five of them, the place was completely dead.

I talked with my wife about it afterward, and we both decided that if we were going to lose the restaurant anyway, from now on we would run it OUR WAY. I empowered all of my employees to throw anyone who spoke to them that way out, and told them I would stand behind them 100%.

My wife, who has been a bleeding-heart liberal her whole life, told me in private that the absolute worst part of her job was dealing with black diners. Almost all of them were far noisier than our other customers, complained more, left huge messes and microscopic tips, when they tipped at all. She told me if we could just get rid of them, the place would actually be a joy to work at.

I've been in the restaurant business a long time, so this wasn't news to me, but to hear it from my wife, and later confirmed by my daughter... it had a big impact. I've never accepted any racial slurs in our household, and certainly not in my restaurant. I always taught my kids to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and tried to do the right thing in spite of the sometimes overwhelming evidence right in front of me. But right then and there, I and my wife started planning ways to keep black people from eating at our restaurant.

First, I raised my prices. It had been long in coming, prices had skyrocketed, and we'd been trying to keep things reasonable because people were hurting. But this had brought in a ton of blacks who had been priced out of the other restaurants nearby, and so I raised my prices even higher. It worked, they would scream bloody murder when they saw the new prices on the menu, and often storm out of the place, not knowing that this was pretty much our plan.

We took a lot of other steps, changing the music, we took fried chicken off the menu, added a dress code that forbade baggy pants and athletic gear. I put up a tiny sign by the register that said "15% gratuity added to all checks" but we only added this to groups of black diners, since almost universally everyone else understands that tipping is customary.

As business started to pick up, we would tell groups of blacks that there was a long wait for a table. Whenever they complained about other patrons getting seated first, I would calmly explain that the other group had a reservation, and without fail they would storm out screaming.

And it worked! We managed to hang in through the rough times. It's been almost two years since we started running the business this way, and we're doing great, even better than we were before! I noticed as soon as the blacks started to leave, our regulars started coming back. Complaints dropped to almost nothing, our staff were happier, and the online reviews have been very positive. My kids are back in school, and my wife seems ten years younger, she's proud of her work and comes in happy every day.

Of course, I did this by doing something I know to be ethically wrong. I did it by treating a whole group of people like pests and driving them away in a low and cowardly way. (though it's not as if I could have put a sign out). I can't help but feel like I've become part of the problem. At the same time, the rational part of me realizes that I did the right thing, but I don't like knowing that I'm a bigot.

IAMA: Restaurant owner who saved his business... by keeping black diners away :/ AMA : IAmA

This is why I understand what Rand Paul was talking about. Once people understand that the restaurant owner is a racist, they can proactively bankrupt his ass by boycotting his business.

I think raising his prices is fine but he should really treat a group on an individual situation. I mean once someone uses the word bitch to talk to the help thats totally unacceptable no matter what and they should be gone.

• Banned
This is why I understand what Rand Paul was talking about. Once people understand that the restaurant owner is a racist, they can proactively bankrupt his ass by boycotting his business.
If a restaurant was allowed to discriminate serving blacks it would be very successful. People would love to be able to go out and not have to think about having to deal blacks rude behaviour.

If a restaurant was allowed to discriminate serving blacks it would be very successful. People would love to be able to go out and not have to think about having to deal blacks rude behaviour.

Blacks are not the only ones who are rude. Children are at times, worse for the overall atmosphere of a restaurant.

What he did was raise the "caliber" of his restaurant by gentrification. He set the parameters of what was allowed in his place. He didn NOT put up a sign that said "no blacks allowed"

I am very sure blacks are allowed, just not ones who are not rude to staff, ones who are fine with the prices and the menu, and ones are willing to abide with the published dress code.

And that i am very sure the new rules would go for white people too.

Last edited:

You, and your good for nothing racist friends, couldn't keep a restaurant afloat, Tank. You notice that the 'author' of this ridiculous story doesn't even have the courage to name his establishment. What does that tell you? It tells me that he knows damned well that most of his patrons would disappear if he openly admitted his policy. He'd go bankrupt in a week.

None of the things he did are exactly racist except for these two things
I put up a tiny sign by the register that said "15% gratuity added to all checks" but we only added this to groups of black diners, since almost universally everyone else understands that tipping is customary.

and this

As business started to pick up, we would tell groups of blacks that there was a long wait for a table.
Totally illegal and immoral.

Last edited:

Blacks are not the only ones who are rude. Children are at times, worse for the overall atmosphere of a restaurant.

What he did was raise the "caliber" of his restaurant by gentrification. He set the parameters of what was allowed in his place. He didn NOT put up a sign that said "no blacks allowed"

I am very sure blacks are allowed, just not ones who are not rude to staff, ones who are fine with the prices and the menu, and ones are willing to abide with the published dress code.

Read it again. He told black people there was a long want and added 15% tip to their checks. He didn't do these things to the white people. He didn't do these things to only the assholes. He did these things to all the black people, only.

Last edited:
  • Banned
You, and your good for nothing racist friends, couldn't keep a restaurant afloat, Tank. You notice that the 'author' of this ridiculous story doesn't even have the courage to name his establishment. What does that tell you? It tells me that he knows damned well that most of his patrons would disappear if he openly admitted his policy. He'd go bankrupt in a week.

The restaurant owner can't name his establishment because what he is doing is against the law. If this owner was allowed to discriminate as he is doing there would be a line around the building to get in, if not there would be no need for a law against it.

Read it again. He told black people there was a long want and added 15% tip to their checks. He didn't do these things to the white people. He didn't do these things to only the assholes. He did these things to all the black people, only.

I read the articular. I know what he said but in my opinion hes tagging on that 15% to everyone. He is also enforcing the dress code with everyone because he doesn't want to be called on for discrimination. If he allowed white people to be rude to his staff, i am sure the staff would have a revolt.

The long wait thing is wrong, however i am also sure he is not turning away paying costumers.

but if he were allowed and required to POST a clear sign of these things, people would know and many would refuse to do business there

whites included

The restaurant owner can't name his establishment because what he is doing is against the law. If this owner was allowed to discriminate as he is doing there would be a line around the building to get in, if not there would be no need for a law against it.
you are delusional if you think his "white" customers would still patronize his establishment if they KNEW what he was doing

Absolutely correct. Especially after the whack job liberals found out and quit going to the restaurant.

Hell that's like Nirvana, I'd drive an hour or two.

The overwhelming majority of people we refuse to sell firearms to are black.

Jus sayin'

And yes, what the restaurant owner is doing is illegal.

Some years ago there was a Japanese restaurant in New York that did very much the same thing. They only catered to Japanese. Soon as the City found out..they got heavy fines..and were forced to issue apologies.

I read the articular. I know what he said but in my opinion hes tagging on that 15% to everyone. He is also enforcing the dress code with everyone because he doesn't want to be called on for discrimination. If he allowed white people to be rude to his staff, i am sure the staff would have a revolt.

The long wait thing is wrong, however i am also sure he is not turning away paying costumers.

So in your opinion, he's not doing the things he said he's doing? What makes you think he's not telling the truth about what he's doing?

I put up a tiny sign by the register that said "15% gratuity added to all checks" but we only added this to groups of black diners, since almost universally everyone else understands that tipping is customary.

He said he only does it to black people. Why do you think he does it to everyone? Do you know something we don't know?

As business started to pick up, we would tell groups of blacks that there was a long wait for a table.

Are you saying the black people aren't paying customers? He says he turns them away because they are black. You say it's because they aren't paying? How do you know the black people aren't paying customers? Nothing in the article said anything at all about non-paying customers.

I think you just make stuff up, without even reading it.

but if he were allowed and required to POST a clear sign of these things, people would know and many would refuse to do business there

whites included

This is what the right means by take our country back? Back to the days of outright discrimination.....no thanks. We need to take our country forward. Not back.

whites included

This is what the right means by take our country back? Back to the days of outright discrimination.....no thanks. We need to take our country forward. Not back.
you'd rather guys like this keep their racism hidden and prosper?

Forum List

Back