Restaurant can be sued after unknowingly serving meat to devout Hindus

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A group of Hindu residents can sue an Edison restaurant for money to travel to India, where they say they must purify their souls after eating meat, a state appellate court panel ruled today.

The decision by the three-judge panel reinstates a lawsuit filed against Moghul Express, the restaurant that admitted it accidentally served meat-filled pastries to 16 Hindus whose religion forbids them from eating nonvegetarian food.

The diners said the mix-up has harmed them spiritually and monetarily, and that to cleanse themselves of their sin — even though it was committed unknowingly — they must participate in a purification ritual in India’s Ganges River.

Edison restaurant can be sued after unknowingly serving meat to devout Hindu customers, appellate court rules | NJ.com

:cuckoo:

would you have the same opinion of jews suing for being feed lobster.....dietary laws are taken very seriously by many religions.....just because you do not understand or agree with the religion does not make it cuckoo.....

i think asking for money to go to india is a bit much but i think the cater has some obligations in this matter.

The restaurant made a mistake. 16 people going to India will cost how much? Puhleez.

They can get forgiveness at their church. They are making a mockery of our court system.

The restaurant made a mistake. 16 people going to India will cost how much? Puhleez.

They can get forgiveness at their church. They are making a mockery of our court system.

You an authority on Hindus?

Lots of people make "mistakes"..my friend was sent home by a hospital that mistakeningly thought there was nothing wrong with his infected finger. It got worse requiring the top layers of skin to be sliced off and the finger buried into his stomach for several weeks to regrow the epidermis. That mistake cost them big..over a million bucks.

That's why you can sue in this country. It's to keep "mistakes" to a minimum.

And why is that cukoo?

Having to fly to India to "absolve" themselves is cuckoo.

This really seems like it'll open a can of worms, a simple mistake that probably happens at hundreds restaurants/fast food chains all over this country and you can be sued for 5,6,7 figures?

Cuckoo is an understatement.

one thing about catering...when you have dietary restrictions in place....you damn well better be paying attention...what if they had served peanuts to a kid who was allergic....oopsie it was just a mistake...when you accept a contract with dietary restrictions you open yourself up to this type of lawsuit for not satisfying the contract.....you do understand there is a broken contract in place?

the clients paid for a service and expected a degree of service...how hard is this.....no meat? i would not have used animal byproducts ...you would go strictly vegan....making sure each ingrediant was vegan....no meat is not that hard..the caterer did not use the lowest degree of caution.

one thing about catering...when you have dietary restrictions in place....you damn well better be paying attention...what if they had served peanuts to a kid who was allergic....oopsie it was just a mistake...when you accept a contract with dietary restrictions you open yourself up to this type of lawsuit for not satisfying the contract.....you do understand there is a broken contract in place?

the clients paid for a service and expected a degree of service...how hard is this.....no meat? i would not have used animal byproducts ...you would go strictly vegan....making sure each ingrediant was vegan....no meat is not that hard..the caterer did not use the lowest degree of caution.

There you're suing because you can prove how much it costs to fix the person who was allergic to peanuts by looking at medical bills.

How do you prove the cost to "fix" the "souls" of the Hindus?

that is the major of the contract ....it will be up to the courts to decide damages.....you always ask for the sky.....its like horse trading.....i know he is gonna want a 100....he knows i am gonna wanna pay 50......we both know the horse is worth 75

The decision by the three-judge panel reinstates a lawsuit filed against Moghul Express, the restaurant that admitted it accidentally served meat-filled pastries to 16 Hindus whose religion forbids them from eating nonvegetarian food.

And yet it didn't kill them.

A group of Hindu residents can sue an Edison restaurant for money to travel to India, where they say they must purify their souls after eating meat, a state appellate court panel ruled today.

The diners said the mix-up has harmed them spiritually and monetarily, and that to cleanse themselves of their sin — even though it was committed unknowingly — they must participate in a purification ritual in India’s Ganges River.

Edison restaurant can be sued after unknowingly serving meat to devout Hindu customers, appellate court rules | NJ.com

Big deal! :rolleyes:

You can sue just about anybody for anything. Talk to me about this if they win.

It was struck down by the lower court and they appealed. This is NJ - sue capital of the world. Chanel's crystal ball says the restaurant's insurance company will settle.

I believe NJ is the insurance premium capital of the world as well. :evil:

It was struck down by the lower court and they appealed. This is NJ - sue capital of the world. Chanel's crystal ball says the restaurant's insurance company will settle.

If I were the defendant, I would offer all of them the trip, but with only 1 day in India to peform the ritual, then they have to fly right back. Should eliminate the angle of trying to get a free trip out of the caterer.

That would meet the requirements as they spelled it out in the lawsuit.

If I were the defendant, I would offer all of them the trip, but with only 1 day in India to peform the ritual, then they have to fly right back. Should eliminate the angle of trying to get a free trip out of the caterer.

That would in all likelihood cost more. But hey, sometimes you have to pay a little extra for spite.

Wow. That's a great idea.

Forum List

Back