Rest in peace, Merlin Olsen!

Damn nice guy and a hell of a ball player!

Sorry to see him go

33-93155-F.jpg

Last edited:
My stepfather took me to the pro bowl at the LA coliseum when I was about 6 years old. I'll never forget Merlin Olsen chasing Sonny Jurgenson around the back field, picking him up and making like he was going to slam him to the ground. He gently put him down and patted him on the back and walked away after causing a twenty yard loss. Had it been a meaningful game, I pity ol' Sonny Jurgenson!:razz:

Last edited:
I remember Merlin playing with Deacon Jones they were terrors for any offense. Deacon got the high profile sacks but it was Merlin who stayed home and kept them honest.

15 years in the NFL and 15 Pro Bowls. The man was all class. The best of the best...

15 years in the NFL and 15 Pro Bowls. The man was all class. The best of the best...
That he most certainly was. Definitely a far cry from the steroid infused gangbanger wannabe's that have permeated the NFL nowadays. And then of course there's the moron's like Rothlesberger who may or may not be guilty, but sure as hell doesn't have any common sense.

Merlin Olson lived in the town next to mine. We ate dinner regularly at the same coffee shop. I have a good friend who played golf with Merlin on several occasions. He says that Merlin truly was a good man - a down to earth, humble guy who would treat anyone as if he had known him forever.

I never was fortunate enough to talk to him, but I know he was a true winner in every respect.

Forum List

Back