Respighi.

Wait, Larghetto is in Pinellas county. :booze::aargh::eek2yum:

Resphigi does/did have a firm grasp on the the music/emotion connection.

Oh hold on, can I butt in? I was brought here by the sidebar on Grieg.

Respighi. Yes! But for my "money" you can't beat Church Windows, especially movement 4, "St. Gregory the Great". One of my favorites, but I have so many favorites!

Okay one cool thing about Otto Respighi aside from his music. On a cruise he met Enrico Fermi, the physicist. In their long conversation Fermi tried to get Respighi to explain music in terms of physics, which he was unable to do. Interestingly I think other composers would have perhaps come closer--but not Respighi. At any rate, they remained friends the remainder of their lives.

Okay one cool thing about Otto Respighi aside from his music. On a cruise he met Enrico Fermi, the physicist. In their long conversation Fermi tried to get Respighi to explain music in terms of physics, which he was unable to do. Interestingly I think other composers would have perhaps come closer--but not Respighi. At any rate, they remained friends the remainder of their lives.

Music has a mathematical construct.

Music has a mathematical construct.

Yes you would just have to choose which part to focus on. I guess my first thought would be acoustics, but it's been a long time since I took my acoustics class! The obvious connection is rhythm. But when you're a composer of Respighi's magnitude it's probably difficult to explain all that to an actual physicist--and he strikes me as more of an emotive composer. Just my opinion. Of his time period his music strikes me as quintessential Italian. In the best possible way.

Forum List

Back