Respect the office if not the office-holder?

I respect the office because it is the highest office in the land. I respect the holder because my fellow Americans voted him into said office. I still believe America is the leader of the free world so yes. Regardless of who holds said office, I will respect them as the leader of the free world.

You respect it because it is the highest office? That is the reason you respect it? That seems like a weak reason for respect.

I respect the office because it is the highest office in the land. I respect the holder because my fellow Americans voted him into said office. I still believe America is the leader of the free world so yes. Regardless of who holds said office, I will respect them as the leader of the free world.

You respect it because it is the highest office? That is the reason you respect it? That seems like a weak reason for respect.

Yes. And if that doesn't work for you, why do you respect anyone or anything else?

I've heard this said by people here as well as by radio talk show hosts:

"You should respect the office of the President, even if you have no respect for the man in office."

My question is; Why?

Why exactly do I have to respect the office of a public servant? Do you think that the founding fathers intended for the US Citizens to place respect and even reverence for the office of the President?

That reminds me of something I heard in the Military once, if you can't respect the person respect the rank.

Yes. And if that doesn't work for you, why do you respect anyone or anything else?

Why do I respect anyone or anything? It depends on the person. I don't know if i respect a thing.

I respect a lot of the surgeons I work with. They bust their asses every day and have since school. I respect my father because of all the things he's seen and done, and he's a smart man. I'm sorry, I don't understand respecting an office because it's the highest in the land.

"You should respect the office of the President, even if you have no respect for the man in office."

My question is; Why?

Why exactly do I have to respect the office of a public servant? Do you think that the founding fathers intended for the US Citizens to place respect and even reverence for the office of the President?

That reminds me of something I heard in the Military once, if you can't respect the person respect the rank.

Being ex-military, I understand that. I say that it's much different. When you are in the military, it's important to respect the rank often for your very survival and the survival of your feppow soldiers. now that I'm out, I don't have any automatic respect for any rank.

Neither am I.you lack manners and are a failure.

You respect it for what it stands for,the tradition of the office of the president.

I can't help it if you are being blatantly stupid.

Yeah I didn't think so.

Dismissed.

LOL you are not SFC Ollie. Look dude i get it, you dont want actual answers. You want to play your little game here and just beat up on obama somemore.

You are a hack, a moronic hack.

Show me one post in this thread where I beat up on Obama. Show me even one post in this thread where I said anything derogatory at all about him.

Well, you cannot because I didn't. that isn't what this thread is about. You automatically assumed it was, and why is that?

Because in reality YOU are the moronic hack.

Neither am I.you lack manners and are a failure.

You respect it for what it stands for,the tradition of the office of the president.

I can't help it if you are being blatantly stupid.

Yeah I didn't think so.

Dismissed.

LOL you are not SFC Ollie. Look dude i get it, you dont want actual answers. You want to play your little game here and just beat up on obama somemore.

You are a hack, a moronic hack.

Moronic hack post is moronically hacky.

My question is; Why?

Being ex-military, I understand that. I say that it's much different. When you are in the military, it's important to respect the rank often for your very survival and the survival of your feppow soldiers. now that I'm out, I don't have any automatic respect for any rank.

Once a Chief, always a Chief. I will respect the office of the President, the CinC, no matter who holds the office.

An office is a thing. Unlike corporations which are people too, my friend.

Right. An office is a thing. That is why I cannot understand the demand to respect it. I don't respect corporations either.

The closest thing to a good answer is what a couple of people said in this thread. The office deserves respect because it represents us. My respose is that the representatives of other countries should respect that office, I don't necessarily agree that the people of the US need to respect it though. Still, it's an intelligent answer to the question.

Last edited:

My question is; Why?

Yes. You should respect everyone; people should have to earn your disrespect.

You're exposing symptom number one of why the world is so fucked up.
Hmm....No.

I give people the benefit of the doubt and give them cordiality and maintain My manners as My mother taught Me. They have to earn My respect, just as their actions will earn My disrespect.

Do not confuse respect with a well behaved individual who maintains their dignity, character and manners.

My question is; Why?

Because George Washington could have been King George I.

Instead the Founders gave us a power-sharing position that became the envy of the world, and lasted until progressive Woodrow Wilson.

My question is; Why?

Because George Washington could have been King George I.

Instead the Founders gave us a power-sharing position that became the envy of the world, and lasted until progressive Woodrow Wilson.

What you say is true, and that's a reason to respect the founding fathers. Not really a reason to respect the office of the president.

Last edited:

My question is; Why?

Joe the Plumber or Barack the President of the United States...you want respect? You're gonna have to earn it! Plain and simple!

My question is; Why?

Yes. You should respect everyone; people should have to earn your disrespect.

You're exposing symptom number one of why the world is so fucked up.
Hmm....No.

I give people the benefit of the doubt and give them cordiality and maintain My manners as My mother taught Me. They have to earn My respect, just as their actions will earn My disrespect.

Do not confuse respect with a well behaved individual who maintains their dignity, character and manners.

So tell me, how does one earn YOUR respect? This should be good. And funny.

Forum List

Back