Respect should be mutual

G

Gabriella84

This is the not the first discussion forum where I have encountered squawking about my alleged "lack of respect." It is usually the same -- "you young whippersnapper, I was defending this country before you were born. That makes my opinion more valid than yours. Don't argue with me, you disgusting unwashed liberal punk!"

My response is always the same: You respect me, and I will respect you. Your past accomplishments or your ancestry does not automatically gain you respect. You need to earn it.
And don't say I don't respect any of you. I can honestly say that I learn something new from reading this forum every day. I consider GOP Jeff, Gem, Kathianne and Dilloduck among the most learned and well-stated political posters I have ever encountered. I even respect Evil at times, since he occasionally has some good points (though I am sure the fact that a liberal scum is in agreement has him heading toward the showers).

Too many of your views or either outdated or flat wrong. If you still believe that the University of California at Berkeley remains the last outpost of flagrant hippie liberalism, then you are about 40 years behind the time. Cal has a large conservative group, and is consistently rated among the TOP 5 public universities IN THE NATION. Of course, you can always hold on to the Pol Pot school of thought that knowledge is secondary to might and power. The sword was always mightier than the pen.
My parents were liberals, but they were extremely strict. They just made the mistake of allowing (even encouraging) me to think for myself. They didn't force my sister or I to go to church. They never made any political statements that we were forced to adhere to. We didn't grow up dressed in camouflage or playing with toy soldiers and tanks.
My parents remain together and continue to offer us guidance, which automatically puts them above the 50 percent that are not.
So, yes, I guess I am a liberal. But I bet I am better adjusted than many of your kids, if you indeed have any.

Gabriella84 said:
But I bet I am better adjusted than many of your kids, if you indeed have any.

my children know better than to insult their elders......they give respect.....as their elders have earned it.

I respect all of my elders that have earned it.

Gabriella84 said:
But I bet I am better adjusted than many of your kids, if you indeed have any.

Do you even understand the fact that you have just insulted every single person posting on this board with children? How can you not think that isn't a arrogant and highly disrespectful comment?

You respect me, and I will respect you.

See, here's the thing.. None of us would walk in to your home, and immediately start insulting you right off the bat.. Yet, that's what you did with your first post here...and you have the nerve to state that respect should be earned? What have you done to earn anything more than contempt?

You're an absolute disgrace to humanity, and I seriously hope you get slapped with a really good dose of reality soon, because if you don't, you're going to seriously screw up any kids you bring into this world.

You get the respect from me you have earned. Instead of demanding it, try commanding it. You think we should earn your respect, but you deserve it just for being you.

Typical.

If I am a rotten kid with rotten parents, then others could be as well.

And if my first post hadn't been so vociferously attacked, perhaps I would think differently.

Gabriella84 said:

And if my first post hadn't been so vociferously attacked, perhaps I would think differently.

It isn't what you said, it's how you said it. Your initial post is basically nothing more than an attack and demand for respect, instead of opening a dialogue to figure out how you could earn some.

Gabriella84 said:

Cry me a river. Generalized comments will get like minded results.

And besides, my daughter has probably been to more protests in her 7 yrs on earth than you have been - so there! :tng:

Gabriella84 said:
This is the not the first discussion forum where I have encountered squawking about my alleged "lack of respect." It is usually the same -- "you young whippersnapper, I was defending this country before you were born. That makes my opinion more valid than yours. Don't argue with me, you disgusting unwashed liberal punk!"

My response is always the same: You respect me, and I will respect you. Your past accomplishments or your ancestry does not automatically gain you respect. You need to earn it.
And don't say I don't respect any of you. I can honestly say that I learn something new from reading this forum every day. I consider GOP Jeff, Gem, Kathianne and Dilloduck among the most learned and well-stated political posters I have ever encountered. I even respect Evil at times, since he occasionally has some good points (though I am sure the fact that a liberal scum is in agreement has him heading toward the showers).

Too many of your views or either outdated or flat wrong. If you still believe that the University of California at Berkeley remains the last outpost of flagrant hippie liberalism, then you are about 40 years behind the time. Cal has a large conservative group, and is consistently rated among the TOP 5 public universities IN THE NATION. Of course, you can always hold on to the Pol Pot school of thought that knowledge is secondary to might and power. The sword was always mightier than the pen.
My parents were liberals, but they were extremely strict. They just made the mistake of allowing (even encouraging) me to think for myself. They didn't force my sister or I to go to church. They never made any political statements that we were forced to adhere to. We didn't grow up dressed in camouflage or playing with toy soldiers and tanks.
My parents remain together and continue to offer us guidance, which automatically puts them above the 50 percent that are not.
So, yes, I guess I am a liberal. But I bet I am better adjusted than many of your kids, if you indeed have any.

See the bolded, italicized passage. This is why we don't respect you. That comment tells us all we need to know about your so-called "respect." You assume that you are right until we can present irrefutable evidence that you are wrong, after which you still pretend to be right. You say respect must be mutual, well, it goes both ways. I get respect around here because I tried to show proper respect when I started at this board and attempted to back up all of my comments and logically defend my opinions. You run around here like you own the place. We'll respect you when you respect us.

Now, by your attitude, I'm going to guess you're a freshman or sophomore. By the time most people become a junior, they've figured out that older people typically are smarter, and they've figured out ways to present their views without aggressively assuming they are right. Right now, you're convinced that you're right and that, much like the views of a former USMB member, intelligence leads to liberalism. You think that the smarter people are, the more they'll agree with you. Well, experience is worth volumes, and that's something you don't have a lot of, right now. Neither do I, to be honest, but I have enough experience to realize that my parents are smarter than I am, and that those who do have experience are worthy of my respect, at least in their area of experience. One day, you'll figure this out, too, and look back on this as your "foolish years."

Gabriella84 said:

Well no hard feelings----we all have a chance to start all over and let bygones be bygones. I , for one, still think you are able to set aside any preconceived ideas about the individuals who post here and engaged in intelligent discussion. There are many issues on which you may be able to clarify some thinking for us.

It was never my intention to "disrespect" anyone. The problem is, it is difficult to argue with people who have zero intention to ever change their minds. They post their opinion. If you dare to disagree, you are a "troll."

Don't think this is the first time I have encountered this problem. My brief forays into other boards have usually been greeted with "you young whippersnapper, you don't know shit! We don't need no schooling, we learned from life! We served our country! Therefore, we are ALWAYS right! Our status as veterans makes us experts on everything, and you damned better not argue."

No it doesn't. It reminds me of a cartoon I once saw. Once character went through this whole spiel of facts and sources in his attempt to prove a point. Upon which the second character replied "All that proves is that you hate America."
Most of the most common Bush ploys has been to wrap himself in the flag and declare that support for the military is support for him. If you dislike Bush, you dislike our military. Not supporting Bush is spitting on our brave military. It's all bullshit.

Sometimes I don't even bother to argue with you. It is because arguing with conservative Republicans is often like mud wresting with a pig. It doesn't take long to realize that the pig enjoys it a lot more than you do.

Gabriella84 said:
It was never my intention to "disrespect" anyone. The problem is, it is difficult to argue with people who have zero intention to ever change their minds. They post their opinion. If you dare to disagree, you are a "troll."

do you have an intention to change your mind when you discuss things or are you simply trying to win as your passion to be right may result in you not being correct.

Gabriella84 said:

Don't think this is the first time I have encountered this problem. My brief forays into other boards have usually been greeted with "you young whippersnapper, you don't know shit! We don't need no schooling, we learned from life! We served our country! Therefore, we are ALWAYS right! Our status as veterans makes us experts on everything, and you damned better not argue."
Until YOU started on 'elders' no one here said anything like that.
No it doesn't. It reminds me of a cartoon I once saw. Once character went through this whole spiel of facts and sources in his attempt to prove a point. Upon which the second character replied "All that proves is that you hate America."
Most of the most common Bush ploys has been to wrap himself in the flag and declare that support for the military is support for him. If you dislike Bush, you dislike our military. Not supporting Bush is spitting on our brave military. It's all bullshit.
Nope, that hasn't been the case in the long run and you know it. Nearly all have said their differences with Bush, yet for the main do argue that you can't say 'you support the troops' but what they are doing is wrong.' Just doesn't wash. Didn't in Vietnam, doesn't now. No comparison other than the BS being put out by the left.
Sometimes I don't even bother to argue with you. It is because arguing with conservative Republicans is often like mud wresting with a pig. It doesn't take long to realize that the pig enjoys it a lot more than you do.
Gabby, your lack of coherent arguments has been noted. Your attempts to say you 'support the troops' too has been noted. You contempt for the troops and members of this board, have also been noted. What more do you want?

manu1959 said:
do you have an intention to change your mind when you discuss things or are you simply trying to win as your passion to be right may result in you not being correct.

Unlike many conservative Republicans, I often admit to being wrong. When someone presents a convincing arguments that includes plausible facts.

Gabby, your lack of coherent arguments has been noted. Your attempts to say you 'support the troops' too has been noted. You contempt for the troops and members of this board, have also been noted.

When have I ever expressed "contempt" for members of the military? I show more respect than many of you, in that I would prefer our soldiers not to come home in body bags.

What more do you want?

Right now, I wish I had some ice cream.

Gabriella84 said:

You haven't been treated like that by everyone here. Again, why do you ignore those who try to engage in a rational discussion with you. People can agree to disagree, what's the big deal? It happens often, just ask PE, he's my favorite one to fight with!

Now stop complaining.

Gabriella84 said:
It was never my intention to "disrespect" anyone. ....
You're either lying or stupid. Remember the pic of the young kid you posted in the edited
T-shirt? The one that said something like, I'm an idiot or something like that?
Was that respect for the kid or the recruiters he was standing in front of?

You're a TROLL! And violate rule 2 on this board constantly..you name should be "Incite".

Mr. P said:
You're either lying or stupid. Remember the pic of the young kid you posted in the edited T-shirt? The one that said something like, I'm an idiot or something like that?
Was that respect for the kid or the recruiters he was standing in front of

wtf are you talking about?

Gabriella84 said:
Unlike many conservative Republicans, I often admit to being wrong. When someone presents a convincing arguments that includes plausible facts.
Where? I couldn't find a single instance. I might be wrong....
When have I ever expressed "contempt" for members of the military? I show more respect than many of you, in that I would prefer our soldiers not to come home in body bags.
Let's see, you have said they are in it to kill civilians, just 'following orders', what else? Hmmm???
Right now, I wish I had some ice cream.
Yes, better use of your time. Go get some.

Forum List

Back