Resoring Sanity and/or Fear.... Never Mind the Numbers

I think it would have had a greater effect if Stuart for the last speech started out by saying "I am a comedian/commentator and I use humor everyday to make a point, but right now I am going to do something you haven't seen before - I am going to be serious"

And then made that same speech without the humor element.
I think it would have made a greater impact.

I can see where you're coming from, and, I kind of agree. The problem with humor is that it confuses the message and it takes some effort to look at what the person said and understand the message. I've seen, on this board, how people have totally misunderstood someone like Stewart, claiming that what he said backs up their opinion. When, in fact, what he said is often the opposite. Just goes to demonstrate how important it is to think critically. That, coupled with the view that Stewart is some intellectual heavyweight, makes it tricky for some people to see what he says and context it.

I believe Malkin lies about other people and she isn't sane. Can I say that and still be a part of Jon Stewart's future political scenario? Of course I can.

Also, he would despise being compared to Glenn Beck. Can you tell me how he and Beck are similar?

Yea, you can say it. Other people are also welcome to disagree. But calling her a 'racist' because you don't like what she says, or whatever 'lie' it was she told would be wrong - assuming you agree with Stewart.

I didn't say Stewart and Beck were similar, Sarah. You need to read what I say, not what you think I said. I said their messages were similar. You need to compare for yourself, I can't form your opinions for you.

Stewart and Beck said very similar things. Go figure.

You're gettin senile, girl..

I would never ask you to form an opinion 'for me'. I was surprised by the comment.

But if I show you the similarities, that's what you're asking me to do. To think for you. It wasn't meant to be an insult - although with hindsight - I can see why you might take it as such. What I meant was that you should compare the two for yourself... you may come to a different conclusion - it depends on what words of Beck's you choose to use.

Because people on this board make so many accusations about Beck, I have gone out and looked quite hard at what he says. When I do that, I take into account what I know about him... ie how he operates, such as facts like he doesn't use scripts, he is libertarian, a Mormon, etc. So I look at his words and try to dig for the context and meaning. He's a confusing guy - that's for sure. I can see why some people howl about him. But, I have found that, by doing a lot of work, there are certain recurring things with Beck. And they are quite similar to what Stewart said.

Personally, I doubt very much whether the animosity between them is real. I suspect it is manufactured.... for ratings.

I believe Malkin lies about other people and she isn't sane. Can I say that and still be a part of Jon Stewart's future political scenario? Of course I can.

Also, he would despise being compared to Glenn Beck. Can you tell me how he and Beck are similar?

Yea, you can say it. Other people are also welcome to disagree. But calling her a 'racist' because you don't like what she says, or whatever 'lie' it was she told would be wrong - assuming you agree with Stewart.

I didn't say Stewart and Beck were similar, Sarah. You need to read what I say, not what you think I said. I said their messages were similar. You need to compare for yourself, I can't form your opinions for you.

I would never ask you to form an opinion 'for me'. I was surprised by the comment.

WTF? You asked how Beck and Stewart are similar. She said that she didn't say they are similar but they said similar things.

YOU asked the question.

Idiot.

I think it would have had a greater effect if Stuart for the last speech started out by saying "I am a comedian/commentator and I use humor everyday to make a point, but right now I am going to do something you haven't seen before - I am going to be serious"

And then made that same speech without the humor element.
I think it would have made a greater impact.

I thought the humor was just right. The light at the end of the tunnel being New Jersey was pretty cute. Kept the entire speech from being heavy and Becklike.

Jon Stewart proves once again why he is this generations answer to Walter Cronkite.

Well said, Jon! Keep them informed!

Did anyone notice him gesture with his hand towards the Capital Building and say something close to " the problem lies here and on cable TV " ? I notice that gesturing is not shown on some of the clips of his speech.

Last edited:
Did anyone notice him gesture with his hand towards the Capital Building and say something close to " the problem lies here " ?

Yea, I did.

Some friends of mine went. They said they met a whole bunch of people who seemed equally as skeptical about both Dems and GOP. As an independent, that cheered me up! :lol:

Jon Stewart proves once again why he is this generations answer to Walter Cronkite.

Well said, Jon! Keep them informed!

No, he isn't.

And, people should keep themselves informed. That was kinda part of what he was saying, when he talked about the 24/7 media.

Your own cut and paste proves she did not say they are the same. Go figure.

I do appreciate how vital it is for some of us to argue over things that are neither provable or important but I wondered about something. While we're all shooting crap about who got a bigger audience, did any of you actually bother to listen to what Jon Stewart said in his closing speech?

It's here if you want to actually listen.

March to Keep Fear Alive | Stephen Colbert Rally

It's a really, really good speech. And, funnily enough, I agree with much of what he said. Because a lot of it is what I say pretty often on here. Maybe I should sue him? Perhaps not. Because he is right.

This is a part of what he said

"There are terrorists and racists and Stalinists and Theocrats, but those are titles that must be earned. You must have the resume. Not being able to distinguish between real racists and TEA Partiers, and real bigots from Juan Williams or Rick Sanchez, is an insult. Not only to those people, but to the racists themselves. They have put in the exhausting effort it takes to hate."

Not only is he funny, he's right. And it's something I've said often on this board. Calling someone you disagree with a racist because they support the TEA Parties, or a Communist because they are a liberal is idiotic. Even Jon Stewart agrees with me.

He takes a potshot at the media, for blowing shit out of proportion. Just like I do. The 24/7 news cycle has enabled a serious amount of crap and misinformation - from ALL outlets, not one side or the other.

And, he reminds us that - just in case we need reminding - that you are not defined by your politics. You are defined by what unites us. We are all Americans.

Y'all should watch his speech. He's funny and he's right. His speech is really worth watching.

Now I've said that, you can all go back to arguing about what is really important - who got more people.

Funny enough, but now that the President who claimed to be one who would govern ABOVE partisanship, then proceeded to be highly partisan (the guy thinks in terms of "enemies" when he hears his political opposition) is about to be made (I pray) a political eunuch, suddenly libs wanna go back to Kumbaya.

Sit back and hear them and, in effect, they are whining, "Why can't we all just TALK and be REASONABLE with each other, and MODERATE?"

Listen, Mr. President (or should I call you "dude"??):

We are not looking for a more effective way to get legislation passed. We want to STOP you from making ANY further "progress" when "progress" in your jargon means more of the CRAP you have "accomplished" to date. We don't give a damn about working with you. We want to STOP you.

Clear enough.

If you want legislation passed, better see to it that the legislation translates into LIMITING government if meaningful and REAL ways. Otherwise, with all due respect, shut up and sit down.

As an aside, who the fuck is Jon Stewart to label Juan Williams a "bigot?" What a crock. Fuck you Stewart. You are an arrogant petty little man and, frankly, not all that funny most of the time except to your simpering audience.

I do appreciate how vital it is for some of us to argue over things that are neither provable or important but I wondered about something. While we're all shooting crap about who got a bigger audience, did any of you actually bother to listen to what Jon Stewart said in his closing speech?

It's here if you want to actually listen.

March to Keep Fear Alive | Stephen Colbert Rally

It's a really, really good speech. And, funnily enough, I agree with much of what he said. Because a lot of it is what I say pretty often on here. Maybe I should sue him? Perhaps not. Because he is right.

This is a part of what he said

"There are terrorists and racists and Stalinists and Theocrats, but those are titles that must be earned. You must have the resume. Not being able to distinguish between real racists and TEA Partiers, and real bigots from Juan Williams or Rick Sanchez, is an insult. Not only to those people, but to the racists themselves. They have put in the exhausting effort it takes to hate."

Not only is he funny, he's right. And it's something I've said often on this board. Calling someone you disagree with a racist because they support the TEA Parties, or a Communist because they are a liberal is idiotic. Even Jon Stewart agrees with me.

He takes a potshot at the media, for blowing shit out of proportion. Just like I do. The 24/7 news cycle has enabled a serious amount of crap and misinformation - from ALL outlets, not one side or the other.

And, he reminds us that - just in case we need reminding - that you are not defined by your politics. You are defined by what unites us. We are all Americans.

Y'all should watch his speech. He's funny and he's right. His speech is really worth watching.

Now I've said that, you can all go back to arguing about what is really important - who got more people.

Funny enough, but now that the President who claimed to be one who would govern ABOVE partisanship, then proceeded to be highly partisan (the guy thinks in terms of "enemies" when he hears his political opposition) is about to be made (I pray) a political eunuch, suddenly libs wanna go back to Kumbaya.

Sit back and hear them and, in effect, they are whining, "Why can't we all just TALK and be REASONABLE with each other, and MODERATE?"

Listen, Mr. President (or should I call you "dude"??):

We are not looking for a more effective way to get legislation passed. We want to STOP you from making ANY further "progress" when "progress" in your jargon means more of the CRAP you have "accomplished" to date. We don't give a damn about working with you. We want to STOP you.

Clear enough.

If you want legislation passed, better see to it that the legislation translates into LIMITING government if meaningful and REAL ways. Otherwise, with all due respect, shut up and sit down.

As an aside, who the fuck is Jon Stewart to label Juan Williams a "bigot?" What a crock. Fuck you Stewart. You are an arrogant petty little man and, frankly, not all that funny most of the time except to your simpering audience.

Oh for Gawd's sake, did you actually bother to see what Stewart said? He DID NOT call Williams a bigot.... He ridiculed those who DO call him a bigot.

Are you completely incapable of basic comprehension skills?

For those who lack the ability to comprehend Stewart's funny, yet accurate, words:

He ridiculed the left - for calling TEA Partiers racists.

He ridiculed the left - for calling Williams and Sanchez bigots.

He ridiculed REAL racists, REAL bigots and REAL terrorists.

This is not rocket science. It would be great if people could engage their brains before posting.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back