reshoring is new hot thing

Course, you could look at it this way.

The head of GE, Immelt is the chair of Barry's jobs coalition. 54% of the jobs that GE has are overseas. That is an INCREASE since Barry and the boys took over.

AND

It is true that the number of manufacturing jobs that are here in the US has increased over the last several months. The reasons?? The products are costing MORE when rising salaries of far-eastern workers are coupled with transportation costs to get the goods back to the market: The United States. Since ships use oil as fuel (we all know that Barry HATES evil oil), and since pirates have made the horn of Africa a dangerous place to be (insurance has more than tripled since Obama took office) it is difficult to ship goods back to the US economically. It is obvious that US workers have always worked HARDER and were more EFFECTIVE at manufacturing jobs than their foreign counterparts. The reason for the initial shift overseas was wages. Now, if you're going to sell in the US, then you need to think about placing your plant in the US because it's cheaper to do so.

What concerns me is the fact that far-eastern (specifically China) workers have rising wages. What does that say about the wages of American workers over the past three years - ten years. Surely transportation and insurance costs do not account for such a sharp rise in product costs? Or maybe it does...

I'd be interested to see what is affecting this change...

P.S. - I'd really like to see facts TM. Not some political hack list of 'talking points' that is your daily fax from the DNC.

Factories begin to shift back to US - FT.com

Two-thirds of big US manufacturers have moved factories in the past two years, with the most popular destination being the US, according to a survey being released on Monday by Accenture, the consultants.

The report provides some of the first industry-wide empirical evidence of “reshoring,” the trend of jobs once outsourced to low-cost emerging economies being brought back to the US.

Although the subject has received much attention, with General Electric the most high-profile example, most of the evidence so far has been isolated and anecdotal.

President Barack Obama has proposed tax incentives for companies that move their overseas operations back to the US and tax penalties for those that do not.

We'll see how long this lasts.

President Barack Obama has proposed tax incentives for companies that move their overseas operations back to the US and tax penalties for those that do not.

very very stupid and liberal of course! If it's a good idea to pressure companies back why bother with incentives, why not make it the law? If you have no idea, it means you are a liberal, -i.e., very very slow!!!

Oh, by the way General Mills announced today it's laying off 800 workers... So much good news for Obama's renewed economy.

Oh, by the way General Mills announced today it's laying off 800 workers... So much good news for Obama's renewed economy.

It's just the natural ebb and flow of the market. Changing demands. General Mills may be laying people off but the Soylent Corporation is hiring.

No worries.

Is this a good thing? Yes it sure is. I can't imagine it's happening widespread enough to have much of an impact however as it's having little effect on the corresponding stats. Manufacturing job growth certainly isn't gangbusters, industrial production is growing at tepid pace and is still below it's 2007 peak, and the trade deficit is growing much bigger. To say it's some partisan victory is way off!

Can't expect a liberal to understand the above stats though and what they mean.

Forum List

Back