Researchers orbit a muon around an atom, confirm physics is broken

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

Although tiny, a proton takes up a finite amount of space, enough to fit three quarks, a host of virtual particles, and their associated gluons. The size of a proton's radius is determined by these particles and their interactions, and so is fundamentally tied in to theories like the Standard Model and quantum chromodynamics.
We can measure the radius because the proton's charge is spread across it, which influences the orbit of any electrons that might be circling it. Measurements with electrons produce a value that's easily in agreement with existing theories. But a few years back, researchers put a heavier version of the electron, called a muon, in orbit around a proton. This formed an exotic, heavier version of the hydrogen atom. And here, measuring the proton's radius produced an entirely different value—something that shouldn't have happened.
This “proton radius puzzle” suggests there may be something fundamentally wrong with our physics models. And the researchers who discovered it have now moved on to put a muon in orbit around deuterium, a heavier isotope of hydrogen. They confirm that the problem still exists, and there's no way of solving it with existing theories.

Pretty cool news from the world of physics.

Physics has been broken for a long time, but something that is right some of the time explains everything....

Although tiny, a proton takes up a finite amount of space, enough to fit three quarks, a host of virtual particles, and their associated gluons. The size of a proton's radius is determined by these particles and their interactions, and so is fundamentally tied in to theories like the Standard Model and quantum chromodynamics.
We can measure the radius because the proton's charge is spread across it, which influences the orbit of any electrons that might be circling it. Measurements with electrons produce a value that's easily in agreement with existing theories. But a few years back, researchers put a heavier version of the electron, called a muon, in orbit around a proton. This formed an exotic, heavier version of the hydrogen atom. And here, measuring the proton's radius produced an entirely different value—something that shouldn't have happened.
This “proton radius puzzle” suggests there may be something fundamentally wrong with our physics models. And the researchers who discovered it have now moved on to put a muon in orbit around deuterium, a heavier isotope of hydrogen. They confirm that the problem still exists, and there's no way of solving it with existing theories.

There's a mistake. The original experiment is a proton surrounded from an electron. This gives a different size. 0.8409 femtometer instead of 0.8775. The muon was only used to minimize the error in measurement. Source: Welt der Physik: Wie groß ist das Proton?

Last edited:
Did the proton's radius increase or decrease? I guess that it increased but your interesting post did not say which it did. How long did the muon stay in orbit?

There's a mistake. The original experiment is a proton surrounded from an electron. This gives a different size. 0.8409 femtometer instead of 0.8775. The muon was only used to minimize the error in measurement. Source: Welt der Physik: Wie groß ist das Proton?

From what you wrote the radius increased which is what I would have expected. Did the mass of the proton increase as well?

Did the proton's radius increase or decrease? I guess that it increased but your interesting post did not say which it did. How long did the muon stay in orbit?

The problem seems to be that different kinds of measurement, which are completly correct on their own, give different results.

From what you wrote the radius increased which is what I would have expected. Did the mass of the proton increase as well?

Decreased not increased - but as I said before that's not the way to see this problem. There are now two different values and both values seem to be correct. They wrote nothing about the mass. Different methods to measure the size of a proton should give the same result. That's a problem - if someone is able to solve this problem then we will know more.

By the way: I fear we teach children in schools not enough about the open questions in philosophy and science. We are accustomed to have perfect answers.

Last edited:
Science is also political, so it is quite possible that physics is broken, and that is for the reason that the globally centralized research funds want it broken.

Science is also political, so it is quite possible that physics is broken, and that is for the reason that the globally centralized research funds want it broken.

Take for example quantumcryptography. As far as I heard no phycicist of the english speaking world is publishing anything to this theme. I'm not astonished about - unfortunatelly. And I don't know how many Borg-Queens of how many think-tanks try to control everyone and everything in the world in general. But I don't think the size of a proton is a theme for them - as long as protons and electrons don't play top secret sado-maso games with muons.

Last edited:

Take for example quantumcryptography. As far as I heard no phycicist of the english speaking world is publishing anything to this theme. I'm not astonished about - unfortunatelly. And I don't know how many Borg-Queens of how many think-tanks try to control everyone and everything in the world in general. But I don't think the size of a proton is a theme for them - as long as protons and electrons don't play top secret sado-maso games with muons.

Unfortunately, even this is not safe from the think tanks. Today, Fareed Zakaria said on TV that various billioners are now joining together to set up mega think tanks to "research ideas". Centralizing scientific thinking halted China for 2000 years, and now it will halt the west for 2000 years too.

Unfortunately, even this is not safe from the think tanks. Today, Fareed Zakaria said on TV that various billioners are now joining together to set up mega think tanks to "research ideas". Centralizing scientific thinking halted China for 2000 years, and now it will halt the west for 2000 years too.

No one knows what we are looking for in case of science. Without freedom - and also a golden cage is not freedom - no inspirations. Without inspiration no progress. I remember in this context the title of the book: "100 Autoren gegen Einstein" (="100 authors against Einstein"). He said about: "If I am wrong it needs only one!". Some years ago I heard from brights (=believers in atheism) they don't like to allow Christians in the future to study physics in english universities any longer. Reason: Incompetence because of a spiritual belief. It will be not easy to defend science against the autistic tendency in human societies to think everything is okay, if everyone is doing the same soliloquizes.

Last edited:

No one knows what we are looking for in case of science. Without freedom - and also a golden cage is not freedom - no inspirations. Without inspiration no progress. I remember in this context the title of the book: "100 Autoren gegen Einstein" (="100 authors against Einstein"). He said about: "If I am wrong it needs only one!". Some years ago I heard from brights (=believers in atheism) they don't like to allow Christians in the future to study physics in english universities any longer. Reason: Incompetence because of a spiritual belief. It will be not easy to defend science against the autistic tendency in human societies to think everything is okay, if everyone is doing the same soliloquizes.

This atheistic attitude is astoundingly stupid. I am a Christian and I study maths. My favorite applied maths field is theoretical physics. I find it very comforting, that many statements in the New Testament are in complete agreement with measurements in astronomy and particle physics. For example where the Romans say that the whole universe is groaning to be freed from the bondage to decay. All those virtual particles are created by the standard model equations to balance the measurements, including the muons ... this balance between symmetry and asymmetry in high energy physics is telling.

God created the entire Universe in 6 days. No one can prove God didn't and yet atheists insists that they do not have to prove God doesn't exist.
By the way, you might like this. Music is based on mathmatics.

God created the entire Universe in 6 days.

Exactly. Now is the eigth day. It's not over yet.

No one can prove God

One of the most stupid arguments. Example: The universe has no before - it has not an outside - and perhaps the sum of all positive and negative energies of the universe is in total 0. Could be we are our own delusion. Who cares? To believe that someone who has not only physical and metaphysical qualities but also psychological and spiritual qualities and unknown qualities - and maybe even some unknowable qualities - is not stupid. When god created existance was he existing? I don't see by the way how atheists explain why nothing made something. It makes no sense that something is existing. It makes no sense that anything is at all. It would make much more sense that nothing is. But in in this case we had no questions.

didn't and yet atheists insists that they do not have to prove God doesn't exist.

Who says they should do? No one. But atheism is not any more worthful belief than any other belief. Indeed it's a very pale belief which gives the human minds not a lot of inspirations. Atheism is for sure not a good state religion, how the communistic dictatorships showed to us all.

By the way, you might like this. Music is based on mathmatics.

Ragtime is wonderful - but I don't like what you sent on another reason. To much informations in to short time. And: Mathematics is basing on music - in a similiar way how philosophy is basing on poetry.

Last edited:

When you're not batshit crazy talking politic you post some really interesting articles

Forum List

Back