Researcher: Long lines at polls caused 49,000 not to vote

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago

Like Jordan, as many as 49,000 people across Central Florida were discouraged from voting because of long lines on Election Day, according to a researcher at Ohio State University who analyzed election data compiled by the Orlando Sentinel.

About 30,000 of those discouraged voters — most of them in Orange and Osceola counties — likely would have backed Democratic President Barack Obama, according to Theodore Allen, an associate professor of industrial engineering at OSU.

About 19,000 voters would have likely backed Republican Mitt Romney, Allen said.

Well, since Obama won the election and the state....GOP FAILS at cheating.

They can't even do crooked right anymore.

What a joke!! :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Like Jordan, as many as 49,000 people across Central Florida were discouraged from voting because of long lines on Election Day, according to a researcher at Ohio State University who analyzed election data compiled by the Orlando Sentinel.

About 30,000 of those discouraged voters — most of them in Orange and Osceola counties — likely would have backed Democratic President Barack Obama, according to Theodore Allen, an associate professor of industrial engineering at OSU.

About 19,000 voters would have likely backed Republican Mitt Romney, Allen said.

Joke doesn't even come close. This is news but not news. They had already admitted to attempted vote suppression (I have a link somewhere, I'll see if I can go dig it up).

Joke doesn't even come close. This is news but not news. They had already admitted to attempted vote suppression (I have a link somewhere, I'll see if I can go dig it up).

They're like the gang that couldn't shoot straight.

election2000_electile_dysfunction.jpg

I notice he doesn't qualify how he came up with that number that would "likely" vote obummer.

He probably projected it out based on how the counties voted.

They broke for Obama 59-40 and 62-37.

Like Jordan, as many as 49,000 people across Central Florida were discouraged from voting because of long lines on Election Day,

... long lines on Election Day

I voted early in Florida and waited about an hour - nice outcome.

drove by the voting station on election day and there were no lines or anyone waiting - next time I'll just vote on election day.

it really is a disgrace when a citizen is discourage from voting because of delays on the day of the election - it is almost a form of gerrymandering when it occurs primarily in similarly political locations and no doubt encouraged by the state Republican administration.

They're like the gang that couldn't shoot straight.

Florida republicans are now concerned only after the election:

Gov. Rick Scott said Wednesday that the state should extend its early voting period to avoid long lines and other chaos at the Florida polls, abruptly reversing a position he vigorously defended before and after the tumultuous November general election.

Scott’s about-face came in an interview with CNN, when he said Florida needs to extend its early voting days, limit ballot lengths and give local election supervisors more leeway in selecting early voting sites. The position is 180 degrees from the 2011 law passed by the Republican-led Legislature and signed by Scott that cut early voting days from 14 to eight.

Scott calls for 'bipartisan' plan to fix Florida's elections | December 19, 2012 | Lloyd Dunkelberger | HT Politics

Rick Scott will pay a big price for his voter repression tactics. Scott forgot that many republicans got caught in those long miserable lines along with independents...
I live in florida and I know one couple that got in line to vote for romny and were so pissed by the time they actually got in to vote they voted for obama.
Many older republicans that didnt vote early abandoned the lines also id bet...Rick Scott is a fail and I cant wait till I can vote against him...Unfortunately I voted for him last time.

Since Democrats have a higher propensity of laziness, else they would be voting Republican, it is obvious that they likewise have a higher propensity to drop out of the voting lines. The largest Republican hindrance to voting is getting out of work to cast a ballot.

These are the stakes for lower taxes; you get long lines when you have to deal with the government. If you want to see long lines more frequently, try to visit someone in the local jails. I'm surprised that these people wait so long to see their jailbird friend/relative.

Here's a story from not too long ago--
Former Republican Party of Florida Chairman Jim Greer says he attended various meetings, beginning in 2009, at which party staffers and consultants pushed for reductions in early voting days and hours.

“The Republican Party, the strategists, the consultants, they firmly believe that early voting is bad for Republican Party candidates,” Greer told The Post. “It’s done for one reason and one reason only. … ‘We’ve got to cut down on early voting because early voting is not good for us,’ ” Greer said he was told by those staffers and consultants.
-- Former Florida GOP leaders say voter suppression was reason they pushed new election law

Last edited:

Forum List

Back