Requirements to become a Teacher.

Daryl Hunt

Your Worst Nightmare
Oct 22, 2014
O.D. (Stands for Out Dere
Are you aware that the only requirement to become a licensed state teacher is that you have to have at least 10K hours on a specific job? No teaching school at all.

The reason this isn't so widely known is that the various Schools won't allow you to teach without attending College of some kind and obtaining a Bach in Education.

You can teach in your field if you get an Occupational Educational Certificate in most states. You can be employed by a private school that may have different requirements. With such a certificate, you are eligible to teach in all levels of education except a University. I love it when a school cries that they can't find competent teachers when they could get people from Industry who can qualify with very little money involved.

At one time, I had an Occupational Degree in Computers (all things computer) from the state and started my own school. Since I was a licensed teacher, it was an accredited school just like an college. But I couldn't get a job teaching the same thing in the local High Schools since they required a Bachelors in Education but had no requirement for actually knowing anything about the subject to teach.

Are you aware that the only requirement to become a licensed state teacher is that you have to have at least 10K hours on a specific job? No teaching school at all.

The reason this isn't so widely known is that the various Schools won't allow you to teach without attending College of some kind and obtaining a Bach in Education.

You can teach in your field if you get an Occupational Educational Certificate in most states. You can be employed by a private school that may have different requirements. With such a certificate, you are eligible to teach in all levels of education except a University. I love it when a school cries that they can't find competent teachers when they could get people from Industry who can qualify with very little money involved.

At one time, I had an Occupational Degree in Computers (all things computer) from the state and started my own school. Since I was a licensed teacher, it was an accredited school just like an college. But I couldn't get a job teaching the same thing in the local High Schools since they required a Bachelors in Education but had no requirement for actually knowing anything about the subject to teach.
Yup. Yup. Yup.
They have to be proficient in TEACHING...but not in subject matter.

Which explains why our education system is so shitty.

Sorry! Your information is not accurate. It depends on the state. Also, it is not the schools (public) that set the standards. It is the state.

• Banned

Sorry! Your information is not accurate. It depends on the state. Also, it is not the schools (public) that set the standards. It is the state.

I tried to apply to a district with a shortage of computer savvy teachers. They wouldn't even consider my application even though the State Issued a teaching license. I applied at a Junior College as well and was met with the same results.

I have a Bachelors Degree in Business but they required me to go back to school and obtain a Teaching Degree to be considered. I will admit that within 6 months I could have obtained that Teaching Degree using my other degree. But the Schools went above and beyond the States Teaching Requirements.

I tried to apply to a district with a shortage of computer savvy teachers. They wouldn't even consider my application even though the State Issued a teaching license. I applied at a Junior College as well and was met with the same results.

I have a Bachelors Degree in Business but they required me to go back to school and obtain a Teaching Degree to be considered. I will admit that within 6 months I could have obtained that Teaching Degree using my other degree. But the Schools went above and beyond the States Teaching Requirements.
Charter schools. Apply nationwide, focus on rural areas.

Pfft... the university I went to you worked three programs: Certification with the state, education department and the subject matter. But, they ran the same scam in the state I was at. Way to destroy an entire profession.

I held a BA in History, but was hired to teach math with temporary certification. I had to go back to college to meet the state minimum coursework to teach math (only 2 classes), plus all of my education classes (30 hours). It took another two and a half years of teaching during the day and going to school to finish and get final certification, plus passing all of the subject exams!

Now I hold certifications in math and social studies, at both the middle/junior high and high school level. My M.Ed. allowed me to get certified as an administrator, but there was a major league test involved there too.

• Banned

At the time, Charter Schools was really frowned upon and very few existed. Not like today. But you will find that even today, the Charter Schools are held to a higher degree than the Public Schools because both are competing for the same money. But, you are right, the Charter Schools and Private Schools do NOT require a degree in Education in many cases. But they do require a State License that also does not require a Teaching Degree.

At the time, Charter Schools was really frowned upon and very few existed. Not like today. But you will find that even today, the Charter Schools are held to a higher degree than the Public Schools because both are competing for the same money. But, you are right, the Charter Schools and Private Schools do NOT require a degree in Education in many cases. But they do require a State License that also does not require a Teaching Degree.

Most people are unaware that most public school high school teachers do not hold a degree in education. Until I received my Master's degree in Educational Leadership, I had no education degree and I would be hard pressed to name anyone who did, unless the taught at a lower level. Like me, a number of teachers were certified for subjects other than their degree. After teaching math for five years, I taught social studies for three.

I held a BA in History, but was hired to teach math with temporary certification. I had to go back to college to meet the state minimum coursework to teach math (only 2 classes), plus all of my education classes (30 hours). It took another two and a half years of teaching during the day and going to school to finish and get final certification, plus passing all of the subject exams!

Now I hold certifications in math and social studies, at both the middle/junior high and high school level. My M.Ed. allowed me to get certified as an administrator, but there was a major league test involved there too.

They could have easily brought in a Mathematician with a state Occupational License to fill that same job and have been completely legal for both the stated and the Federal Education.

They could have easily brought in a Mathematician with a state Occupational License to fill that same job and have been completely legal for both the stated and the Federal Education.

I think you will find that a state occupational license allows you to teach vocational courses, but not regular classes.

Also, no mathematician worth it will ever consider taking that much of a pay cut!

Forum List

Back