Require psychoanalysis during the education process?

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
Perhaps periodic psychoanalysis should be required during the education process to help weed out and help the psychos that might one day kill a bunch of children?
Is that not an aspect of education?
And could help end the stigma of mental illness if everyone has to be evaluated and treated as necessary?

Last edited:
Perhaps periodic psychoanalysis should be required during the education process to help weed out and help the psychos that might one day kill a bunch of children?
And could help end the stigma of mental illness if everyone has to be evaluated and treated as necessary?

Opens up another can of worms now, doesn't it?

Puberty in and of itself is temporary insanity, IMO.

Why don't we just put tracking devices under people's skin and arrest them when they enter a gun store? The idea would be as rational as the OP is. Sorry... The Second Amendment does not end with the words: "providing you are deemed safe by someone who has a degree, and an axe to grind".

Opens up another can of worms now, doesn't it?

Puberty in and of itself is temporary insanity, IMO.

so is love according to some studys.

Should the worms be exposed and treated or left to fester till something like a school massacre happens?

should you let a boil go untreated for years on your childs back till it kills them?
Mental illness is illness and left untreated gets worse and as we see can result in death.

Last edited:
Wouldn't hurt. Maybe they need to be learning about other stuff too, like family issues and who they can go to or talk to about anything at all.

We want to avoid dumping more responsibility on schools already struggling with various social issues, in addition to addressing their primary mission to educate.

But the idea has merit to the extent that children can be monitored for possible mental illness and parents can have easy access to information and mental health professionals should they become concerned about their child’s well being.

Lets say the teachers would not be included in the process but each school would have a professional psychoanalist with their own private office.

And all students would be periodicall required to visit the office so the ones with needs to visit do not get singled out.
A bit of psycho coaching could even help the non mentally ill ones.

Last edited:

The Government's Prayer

Our Government in D.C.,
Hallowed be thy name.
Thy nanny state come
Thy mandate be done
On flyover country as it is in the coasts.
Give us this month our monthly check,
And audit us our trespasses,
As we file suit against those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into liberty,
But deliver us from ourselves.
For thine is the oligarchy,
And the power, and the glory,
Forever and ever.
Amen.

More government is not the solution to every problem.

Besides...how would you feel if the government decided liberalism was a mental disorder?

Lets say the teachers would not be included in the process but each school would have a professional psychoanalist with their own private office.

And all students would be periodicall required to visit the office so the ones with needs to visit do not get singled out.
A bit of psycho coaching could even help the non mentally ill ones.

mmmm

One psychologist--many elementary schools have 700+ students. Some are larger.

One class of middle school students that I taught could have certainly used a full-time mental health professional. Students from economically challenged homes, all manner of undiagnosed/unaddressed learning issues, less than supportive home life and so on. I approached the school counselors on many occasions and they were certain that I could find ways to help the students help themselves. I couldn't and the students couldn't, fyi.

The Newtown community seems to be exceptionally stable and provide excellent educational experiences--rare, in contrast to most of the US. How students that are severely underserved by a school system and society don't turn out to be hostile and antisocial/sociopaths or whatever the current label is--I don't know.

I do not believe that it would be a useful tool. There is no way that it would be an effective means for prognostication in that the law requires 1 school psychologist for every 1000 yards in the state where I live. The testing itself may not be an effective measure, what exactly is the psychologist testing for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes.

Look at the group that commits these massacres; young men living on the fringe of society, 18-30 years old.

Concentrate on identifying and treating the most dangerous among them, not on grabbing guns from the rest of us.

Yes.

Look at the group that commits these massacres; young men living on the fringe of society, 18-30 years old.

Concentrate on identifying and treating the most dangerous among them, not on grabbing guns from the rest of us.

Do we have enough data to designate 'young men in the 18-30 yr old group' as an identifiable segment?

The shooter in AZ, the Colorado shooter, VA Tech shooter and now the Newtown shooter. Maybe there are additional incidents that escape me. The Columbine shooters were middle school students.

The Columbine shooters could possibly have been identified and some assistance could have been provided --I've forgotten much of the fyi on them.

The Colorado shooter---was an outstanding student in high school and college. It seemed his illness, last diagnosed as a schizophrenic, seemed to get more pronounced rather quickly. Does this happen to others?

In the 1990's, Finland instituted mandatory school counselor visits for all students as part of that nation's successful effort to lower its suicide rate. The Finns found that the stigma of seeing the school counselor prevented some troubled students from seeking help. Finland has one of the most successful education systems in the world; they produce a lot of overachievers. One objective of the counseling was to ferret out depression and teach coping skills. Depression was found to cause a higher than average suicide rate in Finland (compared with depression in other cultures) in large part because of the generally stoic nature of Finns. Finland offered treatment measures for depression which were considerate of their cultural stoicism, being especially careful to preserve dignity and privacy.

ya big brother makes a great parent...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYC-EJ18IT0]3-year-old prescribed six psychotropic drugs in CPS' care ~ 4th Report - YouTube[/ame]

Umm 3 yr olds are not in school.

big brother? It is just good mental health care just like other medical care.

Forum List

Back