Requiem for Detroit

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
Has anyone seen it? It follows Detroit's history and puts things into context as it follows the major trends of the city's development, from its deeply racist roots, to its long history of segregation and racial tension, to its total dependence on the Big Three (complete with racially-divided suburbs designed and constructed by the Big 3), to the mass exodus first of the workers, then of Whites as a whole (read: taxpayers), to the purposeful design of the city that was meant to ensure everyone required multiple vehicles in order to keep the Big Three going, to the total collapse of the system following a series of racial conflicts, WWII, and the oil shocks.

It shows where the city is now, including the current trends in urban agriculture and the steady collapse of the remnants of the old days as nature takes over one again. Can Detroit be saved? After watching this film, it seems impossible for the artificial system to be restored- and questionable as to whether that would even be a good thing. If Detroit survives, chances are good it won't be Motor City any more. Perhaps, however, it can become something new, something more sustainable, something better than what it was.

I haven't seen the film, but Detroit's rise and fall does remind me a bit of Pittsburgh's collapse with the decline of the steel industry. They were able to remake a smaller, vibrant city by attracting new high-tech industry and redesigning space. They weren't as plagued with Detroit's historical tensions, but here's always hope as long as leadership has the courage to try something new.

I thought they did that in 'Life after People'.

6a00e5521b31ca883401156f82bfcd970c-800wi

Forum List

Back