Republician Vice President ?

CA95380

USMB Member
Jul 23, 2008
Central California
Ok, time to start moving along, right? :lol:

The Republican Convention will be starting within a few days. Any predictions on who McCain is going to pick as his vice president?

How about Condoleezza Rice? Now .... that might take a little wind out of the Democrats sail? Not that it would change my vote for Obama ... but it sure would make an exciting ticket for the Republicans, no?? :D

Ok, time to start moving along, right? :lol:

The Republican Convention will be starting within a few days. Any predictions on who McCain is going to pick as his vice president?

How about Condoleezza Rice? Now .... that might take a little wind out of the Democrats sail? Not that it would change my vote for Obama ... but it sure would make an exciting ticket for the Republicans, no?? :D

apparently rove wants romney, and im inclined to think thats who it will go to. i cant imagine his party would let him take lieberman. and the other names just arent that appealing, except huckabee who is the obvious darkhorse.

Personally... my favorite pick would be Sarah Palin... not only do I like her style, experience as an executive in being governor, but you would also have to like the pick of a woman in an election year when a lot of Hillary supporters are very disgruntled...

I am not really sold on Romney.. I like his business sense, but he still has a lot of negatives that many groups will focus on. I don't think Rice is interested and has NO shot at being picked. Huckabee will not be picked, and I am happy about that. Rudy will get some other position and not VP.

I think Romney is the front runner in terms of odds of getting it, though... Lieberman a close 2nd

Damned shame the Neo-cons burned the bridge with Colin Powell, isn't it?

With him on the ticket, I expect that the republicans would actually win, despite Bush's abysmal record.

But you know how it is...lost trust is never found.

They used that honorable man to lie for them, and I doubt he'll ever forgive the GOP for doing that to him.

Last edited:
Outside of a wild card, the only names I can think of are Lieberman (fail), Romney (fail), and Hutchinson (would pull the CLITonian vote). condi won't do it.

it's going to have to be someone who leans farther right than Mccain's history of votes on social issues. Someone who will tempt voters out from being apathetic on the right wing.. especially, in the event that mccain dies on office.

Last edited:

I do like Steele.. and not just because I'm from MD... but I really think he is in a good place now with what he is doing... though I fully expect him to become more of a political force in upcoming elections and I would not be surprised to see him actually in one of the next Presidential races

Damned shame the Neo-cons burned the bridge with Colin Powell, isn't it?

With him on the ticket, I expect that the republicans would actually win, despite Bush's abysmal record.

But you know how it is...lost trust is never found.

They used that honor man to lie for them, and I doubt he'll ever forgive the GOP for doing that to him.

:thup: I think Colin Powell is one of the last Republicians that I still have respect for. I agree with you and wonder if George Bush knows how bad he screwed up, losing him. He is one of the best!

As far as Bush knowing how bad he screwed up? Not a chance! :doubt:

:thup: I think Colin Powell is one of the last Republicians that I still have respect for. I agree with you and wonder if George Bush knows how bad he screwed up, losing him. He is one of the best!

As far as Bush knowing how bad he screwed up? Not a chance! :doubt:

now now, give bush some credit. im sure he knew exactly what he was doing all along :D

I always thought Lindsey Graham would make a good VP for the gop... though, CLEARLY a gay man I respect his willingness to work out compromises.

It's pretty clear that Tim Pawlenty and Mitt Romney are the two candidates. My money's on Pawlenty, as he appeals to the working class. Romney's religion and his wealth may alienate two groups that McCain is trying to draw in. Tom Ridge and Rob Portman are the dark horses.

Lieberman was never a serious consideration, unfortunately. McCain is a good friend of Lieberman's, but Lieberman would alienate the base that McCain has spent eight years building. The GOP would go nuts over Lieberman being on their ticket after he was on the DNC's ticket in 2000. They've thrown Lieberman's name around to make the public think he was in consideration and show them that McCain is trying to remain close to his old ways. But they would never actually choose him.

Huckabee was never in consideration, just as he was never in consideration to win the GOP nomination. He's a hack and a terrible politician.

Last edited:
I'd like to see Lieberman completely embrace the dark side.

Mitten would be a riot for a choice.

I'm sooooooooo thankful Rudy is toast.

Also, the Republicans aren't going to put an Independent who disagrees with them 99% of the time a heartbeat away from Presidency, especially when the man running is apparently on his deathbed, according to most of you people.

They want someone like Romney or Pawlenty in the VP spot, so that if McCain does keel over, they still have a Republican in office. And, let's face it, Romney and Pawlenty are both more Republican than McCain anyway.

Last edited:
That seems about right, but I don't think they give Portman enough clout, and Ridge isn't even on there.

However, it's between Romney and Pawlenty. So it doesn't matter.

Outside of a wild card, the only names I can think of are Lieberman (fail), Romney (fail), and Hutchinson (would pull the CLITonian vote). condi won't do it.

it's going to have to be someone who leans farther right than Mccain's history of votes on social issues. Someone who will tempt voters out from being apathetic on the right wing.. especially, in the event that mccain dies on office.

"Condi" ... is probably too smart to accept it anyway. But a McCain/Rice ticket would sure shake some trees. Hell! Hillary might even vote for them! :eusa_shhh:

"Condi" ... is probably too smart to accept it anyway. But a McCain/Rice ticket would sure shake some trees. Hell! Hillary might even vote for them! :eusa_shhh:

i dunno.. i mean.. Condi would appeal to minorities but, lets be honest, she's been nothing but a sockpuppet for the iraq war since she took over her job. I'm betting she goes the way of Colin after her tenure here is up.

Forum List

Back