Republicans Will Outperform Democrats in 2018

I have an idea. You're in charge so why don't you guys do that?

Because they're a bunch of <insert favorite insult here> who are scared a democrat somewhere will say boo and the NYT will say something bad about them. Plus, we'd rather peg spending to inflation and let the economy grow so it would be easier to pay down the debt with the generated surplus than raise taxes and hurt the economy more. It would be amusing, though, to see the democrats' reactions as they watched money go by that they couldn't use to buy off constituent groups. No, this is about what you can do the next time you find yourself in charge. I will, though, confidently assert that you'll have no inclination to pay down the debt but will increase spending instead.

We will cut some of your programs and spend more on things we prioritize no doubt.

Also, it was impossible to pay off the debt AND get us out of Bush's recession. But how did the last Democrat do?

Steny Hoyer says George W. Bush inherited $5.6 trillion surplus from Bill Clinton

Axelrod claims Bush saddled Obama with a big deficit

Bush: Surplus Justifies Tax Cut

Economically, the best we had was a democrat president willing to work with a Republican Congress willing to hold his feet to the fire. We don't have that now, and haven't for some time.

The Bubba/Republican Congress combination came the closest to balancing the budget.

8 years ago
CNN Fact Check: The last president to balance the budget

Posted by
CNN's Jim Dexter

(CNN) - President Obama declared on Wednesday that Democrats can be trusted on the budget because, "the last time the budget was balanced was under a Democratic president."

Fact Check: Who was president the last time the budget was balanced?

- The U.S. government suffered budget deficits every year from 1970 through 1997.
- Democrat Bill Clinton was president in 1998, when the government finally recorded a surplus.
- There also were budget surpluses in 1999, 2000 and in 2001. 2001 was the last year the Clinton administration proposed the budget.
- Republican George W. Bush succeeded Clinton in 2001. The United States had a budget deficit in 2002, and it has recorded budget deficits every year since. The deficit is projected to increase substantially this year under President Barack Obama.
- Republicans say they should get at least some of the credit for the balanced budgets during the Clinton administration, because Republican majorities controlled both the House and Senate.

Read the bottom line after the jump.

Bottom Line: Democrat Bill Clinton was president the last time the federal budget was balanced, and Republicans controlled Congress.

Are they wrong?

Because they're a bunch of <insert favorite insult here> who are scared a democrat somewhere will say boo and the NYT will say something bad about them. Plus, we'd rather peg spending to inflation and let the economy grow so it would be easier to pay down the debt with the generated surplus than raise taxes and hurt the economy more. It would be amusing, though, to see the democrats' reactions as they watched money go by that they couldn't use to buy off constituent groups. No, this is about what you can do the next time you find yourself in charge. I will, though, confidently assert that you'll have no inclination to pay down the debt but will increase spending instead.

We will cut some of your programs and spend more on things we prioritize no doubt.

Also, it was impossible to pay off the debt AND get us out of Bush's recession. But how did the last Democrat do?

Steny Hoyer says George W. Bush inherited $5.6 trillion surplus from Bill Clinton

Axelrod claims Bush saddled Obama with a big deficit

Bush: Surplus Justifies Tax Cut

Economically, the best we had was a democrat president willing to work with a Republican Congress willing to hold his feet to the fire. We don't have that now, and haven't for some time.

The Bubba/Republican Congress combination came the closest to balancing the budget.

8 years ago

Posted by
CNN's Jim Dexter

(CNN) - President Obama declared on Wednesday that Democrats can be trusted on the budget because, "the last time the budget was balanced was under a Democratic president."

Fact Check: Who was president the last time the budget was balanced?

- The U.S. government suffered budget deficits every year from 1970 through 1997.
- Democrat Bill Clinton was president in 1998, when the government finally recorded a surplus.
- There also were budget surpluses in 1999, 2000 and in 2001. 2001 was the last year the Clinton administration proposed the budget.
- Republican George W. Bush succeeded Clinton in 2001. The United States had a budget deficit in 2002, and it has recorded budget deficits every year since. The deficit is projected to increase substantially this year under President Barack Obama.
- Republicans say they should get at least some of the credit for the balanced budgets during the Clinton administration, because Republican majorities controlled both the House and Senate.

Read the bottom line after the jump.

Bottom Line: Democrat Bill Clinton was president the last time the federal budget was balanced, and Republicans controlled Congress.

Are they wrong?

You're reinforcing my point.

Meanwhile, they have modern infrastructure and we don’t

Now now. Obama promised us lots of shovel ready infrastructure jobs if we just gave him a lot of money to spend. We have him the money, therefore there are no more infrastructure problems. He wouldn't have lied to us, would he?

Obama did not promise shovel ready jobs

Shovel ready projects was a condition put on states if they wanted to receive Stimulus money
Shovel ready projects were smaller projects that did not take years of planning to get started. Major infrastructure improvements did not qualify as shovel ready

Judge for yourself:

"Now, here's what I'm confident about, that our economic recovery plan, our 21st-century investments will create jobs immediately that would not otherwise be created. We've got shovel-ready projects all across the country that governors and mayors are pleading to fund. And the minute we can get those investments to the state level, jobs are going to be created"

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=85080&st=&st1=

Now, I'm sure you can complain that he wasn't really promising this or that or you can find ways to weasel around it, but that's just one example of Obama wanting us to believe there were lots of jobs just begging for funding and all we had to do was spend the money.

Why do Conservatives struggle so much with the English language?

We've got shovel-ready projects all across the country that governors and mayors are pleading to fund. And the minute we can get those investments to the state level, jobs are going to be created"

The Great Obama never had any jobs to give.....only funding for projects
For governors and mayors to qualify for that funding, their projects had to be "shovel ready"
Meaning they were ready to provide jobs immediately

Like I said, weasel words. It's plain that Obama wanted us to believe there was work ready to go, just begging for money. There wasn't.
Like I said

Reading comprehension is foreign to you

Now now. Obama promised us lots of shovel ready infrastructure jobs if we just gave him a lot of money to spend. We have him the money, therefore there are no more infrastructure problems. He wouldn't have lied to us, would he?

Shovel ready projects was a condition put on states if they wanted to receive Stimulus money
Shovel ready projects were smaller projects that did not take years of planning to get started. Major infrastructure improvements did not qualify as shovel ready

Judge for yourself:

"Now, here's what I'm confident about, that our economic recovery plan, our 21st-century investments will create jobs immediately that would not otherwise be created. We've got shovel-ready projects all across the country that governors and mayors are pleading to fund. And the minute we can get those investments to the state level, jobs are going to be created"

Now, I'm sure you can complain that he wasn't really promising this or that or you can find ways to weasel around it, but that's just one example of Obama wanting us to believe there were lots of jobs just begging for funding and all we had to do was spend the money.

We've got shovel-ready projects all across the country that governors and mayors are pleading to fund. And the minute we can get those investments to the state level, jobs are going to be created"

For governors and mayors to qualify for that funding, their projects had to be "shovel ready"

Like I said, weasel words. It's plain that Obama wanted us to believe there was work ready to go, just begging for money. There wasn't.
Like I said

You're dancing, but the piper is playing a different tune. Obama tried to make America believe that there were many, many jobs just waiting to be funded, if we would just give him a lot of money. We gave it to him and the jobs didn't materialize. Now, if your addled partisan mind can't understand that much, there is no help for you.

Judge for yourself:

Like I said

You're dancing, but the piper is playing a different tune. Obama tried to make America believe that there were many, many jobs just waiting to be funded, if we would just give him a lot of money. We gave it to him and the jobs didn't materialize. Now, if your addled partisan mind can't understand that much, there is no help for you.
The states were responsible for finding the jobs

The Great Obama only provided funding

I hate to say it but if the democrats keep this "anti-male" crap up and painting men as bad = they will perform very badly in 2018.

Makes me fucking sick but that is reality. Democrats need to focus on jobs, middle class and maintaining the safetynet.

Judge for yourself:

Like I said

The states were responsible for finding the jobs

The Great Obama only provided funding

He said they were there. Are you saying he lied to get the money?

Forum List

Back