Republicans will bring back the DRAFT

Originally posted by Psychoblues

I'm putting my chips on a strong defense, and solidly against offense. But maybe our weaknesses in defense are to the expense of our otherwise strong offense. But why do we have an offensive Armed Force? I certainly didn't call for it and I don't think our reps did either. But that's another subject. [/B

Most of the time the best defense is a good offense.:D If we take good care of our military and make it a worthwhile career there will not be a need for a draft IMO.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
say that again?

drudge link

A senior Republican lawmaker said that deteriorating security in Iraq may force the United States to reintroduce the military draft.

"There's not an American ... that doesn't understand what we are engaged in today and what the prospects are for the future," Senator Chuck Hagel told a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on post-occupation Iraq.

"Why shouldn't we ask all of our citizens to bear some responsibility and pay some price?" Hagel said, arguing that restoring compulsory military service would force "our citizens to understand the intensity and depth of challenges we face."

The Nebraska Republican added that a draft, which was ended in the early 1970s, would spread the burden of military service in Iraq more equitably among various social strata.

"Those who are serving today and dying today are the middle class and lower middle class," he observed.

See if this guy gets relected, lol. Seriously, notice how leading Republicans have stayed away from the D word. PErsonally i dont think its neccassary. We have a very large Volunteer army and as a previous post idicated, the marines have already surpassed enrollment and reenrollment expectations for the year in the first 4 months.

I don't forsee a draft. I think its just another scare tactic by democrats.

Forum List

Back