Republicans will bring back the DRAFT

Psychoblues

Nov 30, 2003
North Missisippi
Were it not for the international mistakes and inconsiderations by them, the Republicans, it would not be necessary and you can bet your bottom dollar that any Democrat worth his salt will resist. Seemingly supportive statements ofr the Draft by Dems should be taken in the light they are given, satirical.

This is not to say that Democrats are less keen on our national defense than Republicans but only to say that Dems are more equipped to be defensive rather than offensive. And isn't this, the offensive nature of the Republican leadership, that has gotten us into this mess? Don't we have a DOD, Department of Defense, and not a Department of Offense? And hasn't it been proven over and over again in history that unbridled offense ultimately leads to total disaster?

I'm putting my chips on a strong defense, and solidly against offense. But maybe our weaknesses in defense are to the expense of our otherwise strong offense. But why do we have an offensive Armed Force? I certainly didn't call for it and I don't think our reps did either. But that's another subject.

Originally posted by Psychoblues
you can bet your bottom dollar that any Democrat worth his salt will resist.

Hmmm... Tell that to Charles Rangel, democrat, who was the first to enter this into legislation.

Funny. I dont see a problem with the draft. its thats what it takes thats what it takes and im willing to bet there are alot of Americans will support the cause for freedom.

Satire is lost on you, jimnyc, isn't it? The introduction by Rangel was to somehow at least make the Idiots In Charge think more about what they were doing, put up or shut up, and warn that a reintroduction of the draft would be forthcoming should their evil and poorly planned endeavors fail.

Considering that we have more soldiers dying and injured since the famous "Mission Accomplished" banner during the staged carrier landing, the efforts by the present administration to cut Veteran benefits, combat pay and about everything else involving human sacrifice in the name of this war, the refusal to provide pertinent and credible information by this administration and apathy within the media and the populace are much to blame for this predicament.

Sorry the satire was so misunderstood, jimnyc.

I highly doubt there will ever again be a draft in our country.
But, never say never...

When Vietnam came around, my Grandfather--a WW1 general-- told my two uncles that if they got drafted they should move to Canada and he would do his best to help support them!

He didn't want to see his sons die for a war he, and many other Vets, didn't believe in.

I think that partly due to Vietnam, there will always be strong opposition to the draft.

But, never say never...

Avatar, surely you must know that Americans will and are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice. But they aren't so willing to make it based on lies and simple innuendo. And that's exactly what we have in Iraq now. Millions of Iraqi's now understand that Hussein is gone, will never return.

They also suffer from the loss of their innocent family members that became "collateral damage" types in our American definition. They see daily our advances on simple citizens, ill-conceived attacks on innocent gatherings for religious worship, indisciminate bombing of whatever the bombs hit, etc.

Certainly, Americans will volunteer for a just war and many of the cowards will vote for a draft as they sit safely in their excempt status. But that ain't the America that I was raised to believe in or support. Our Democracy and continuation as a Democratic society is now at risk. Our freedoms, you know, the ones we were all told and taught to fight for, are now being diminished daily by a ruthless and financially rich few that have little regard for the actual freedoms of any of us except to spend our dollars on overpriced or otherwise worthless and UnAmerican made goods. This is an economy, a service economy that cannot possibly sustain.

Satire is lost on you, jimnyc, isn't it?

Spending my tax dollars to be 'satirical' shows just how pathetic some of the Democrats can be. I'm sorry you condone their behavior. I'm also sorry that common sense eludes you.

except to spend our dollars on overpriced or otherwise worthless and UnAmerican

That's how I feel about the rejects that waste my money to initiate useless legislation.

Psycho, when you discussed the draft in regards to Rangel's submitted legislation in the past (on this board) - are you now saying you were just being 'satirical'?

Avatar, surely you must know that Americans will and are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice. But they aren't so willing to make it based on lies and simple innuendo. And that's exactly what we have in Iraq now. Millions of Iraqi's now understand that Hussein is gone, will never return.

They also suffer from the loss of their innocent family members that became "collateral damage" types in our American definition. They see daily our advances on simple citizens, ill-conceived attacks on innocent gatherings for religious worship, indisciminate bombing of whatever the bombs hit, etc.

Certainly, Americans will volunteer for a just war and many of the cowards will vote for a draft as they sit safely in their excempt status. But that ain't the America that I was raised to believe in or support. Our Democracy and continuation as a Democratic society is now at risk. Our freedoms, you know, the ones we were all told and taught to fight for, are now being diminished daily by a ruthless and financially rich few that have little regard for the actual freedoms of any of us except to spend our dollars on overpriced or otherwise worthless and UnAmerican made goods. This is an economy, a service economy that cannot possibly sustain.

Let me know when you guys get tired of screaming about lies and actually bother to support your accusations.

We have to stop terrorism. If we dont our civilization will be destroyed. These secret bands have destroyed great civilizations of the past and they can now if we dont do anything about it.

Iraq is part of the one going war on terror. Simply because you would prefer Saddam in power does not mean its not. Simply because you hate the President so much that you position yourself on the side of Americas enemies rather than for the defense of the American people, does not mean other Americans will not.

War sucks, but when you are fighting against evil like Terrorists, whose main goal in life is to wipe us off the face of the earth we either have to fight back or start digging our graves. If you think we can ever go back to that illusion that permeated the 90s of security and prosperity then you are dreaming.

In regards to my previous statements about the Rangel introduction for the draft, I am certainly saying that his introduction and remarks were as I stated earlier in this thread, satirical and challenging. But you don't get it. That's your problem, not mine.

In regards to my previous statements about the Rangel introduction for the draft, I am certainly saying that his introduction and remarks were as I stated earlier in this thread, satirical and challenging. But you don't get it. That's your problem, not mine.

And yet you defended it at the time as realistic. Never said a peep back then that his legislation was satirical in any way. Now when you fuck up and claim " you can bet your bottom dollar that any Democrat worth his salt will resist" you want to change your tune.

There is good news though. You'll fit right in with Kerry as a flip flopper.

You are a liar, jimnyc. I've never intimated in any way that Rangel's assertion for the draft was anything other than thought provoking or satirical. I understood it then, I understand it now. Your complete denial of your own belief is what disturbs me at this point.

You are a liar, jimnyc. I've never intimated in any way that Rangel's assertion for the draft was anything other than thought provoking or satirical. I understood it then, I understand it now. Your complete denial of your own belief is what disturbs me at this point.

"The reimplementation of the draft is not only being considered but is almost to the point of absolute."

"The legislation did not die in committee. I think it is true that it's not actively making it's way through the houses but it is by no means "dead""

These were quotes from you in a prior discussion about Rangel's legislation. Are you saying you didn't make these remarks? Do they sound satirical to you?

Looks like you're the liar, you old drunken asshole.

Those quotes are accurate, jimnyc. But you failed to understand their significance. Sorry 'bout that, you old drunken fool and asshole to boot. Go back and quote the rest of that conversation.

Those quotes are accurate, jimnyc. But you failed to understand their significance. Sorry 'bout that, you old drunken fool and asshole to boot. Go back and quote the rest of that conversation.

No need to, that was the only thing in your posts in direct reference to the Rangel discussion. The significance I see right at this moment is that your words weren't satirical. You said his legislation was realistic back then but now you want to downplay it.

Don't worry, Psycho, we only see your words here, we can't see both of your faces.

That's typical. Quotation out of context and character assasination. You're up to speed for Jr. High civics class, jimnyc. Now go run with the big boys and girls and see how long you can last.

Here's why there won't be a draft.

Its politcal suicide. The Republicans would be blamed for it. then it would give credence to everything the Democrats have been whining about. No way will this ever happen. Republicans are politicians too and they wont cut off their nose to spite their face.

I submit there will be a "Draft" in our American future. Political suicide be damned.

The Republicans are so over-extending and exhausting our military resourses that we will have no choice. The defensive nature of the war on terrorism has been trumped by our offensive war on Saddam Hussein. Our National
Guard and Reserve units are being decimated by all this and our active duty forces are as well. How can there be any other conclusion considering the maltreatment of our veterans and threats of paycuts for our active duty (combat and flight pay) soldiers?

Americans insist on a strong defense. They never anticipated the offensive nature of a GWB and his minions. Our defensive military will reflect all that as time goes on.

Two things for you to consider: GWB said he was a uniter, not a divider. He also said he was not into "nation-building". I think the evidence is clear that he lied on both accounts. But "lying" about substantial issues is a Republican thing, correct?

Originally posted by insein
Here's why there won't be a draft.

Its politcal suicide. The Republicans would be blamed for it. then it would give credence to everything the Democrats have been whining about. No way will this ever happen. Republicans are politicians too and they wont cut off their nose to spite their face.

say that again?

drudge link

A senior Republican lawmaker said that deteriorating security in Iraq may force the United States to reintroduce the military draft.

"There's not an American ... that doesn't understand what we are engaged in today and what the prospects are for the future," Senator Chuck Hagel told a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on post-occupation Iraq.

"Why shouldn't we ask all of our citizens to bear some responsibility and pay some price?" Hagel said, arguing that restoring compulsory military service would force "our citizens to understand the intensity and depth of challenges we face."

The Nebraska Republican added that a draft, which was ended in the early 1970s, would spread the burden of military service in Iraq more equitably among various social strata.

"Those who are serving today and dying today are the middle class and lower middle class," he observed.

Forum List

Back