Republicans were in the North, Democrats in the South. Did they switch places?

R

rdean

I was exchanging posts with USMB Republicans and Offensivelyopenminded said:

They (Republicans) freed the slaves, not the DemonRats.

So I said:

Since during the Civil War, the majority of those in the south were Democrats and those in the north, Republicans. Now the majority in the south are Republicans and those in the north Democrats.

How did that happen? Did they trade places?

and Buckeye45_73 said:

Very simple, republicans moved south, and younger people in those areqas became republican.

"You can tell this because almost all of the old racists didn't switch.....only a very few did.
And conservatives have been republicans since Lincoln and have dominated the republican party when the democrats were against civil rights....and the republicans were and still are pro civil rights.

----------------------

At first, I couldn't get passed: Very simple, republicans moved south

I laughed and laughed and laughed. Clearly, this is someone who doesn't understand how many tens of millions would have to move to change a party majority. Then I read the rest of it and then i got to this part:

....and the republicans were and still are pro civil rights.

Let me say it again:

--------------------------------

What do you say? What can you say? This is beyond alternative facts. This is alternative universe.

Man, if I didn't know any better, I'd say the OP has a pathological fear and hatred of Republicans in general and Trump in particular.

Man, if I didn't know any better, I'd say the OP has a pathological fear and hatred of Republicans in general and Trump in particular.
Fear, of course. After what the GOP did to the country under Bush. Some try to deny their damage, but the memory is simply too fresh. And now they elected a Russian Poodle Manchurian Candidate to be president.
12chappatte-master768.jpg

Fear, of course. After what the GOP did to the country under Bush. Some try to deny their damage, but the memory is simply too fresh. And now they elected a Russian Poodle Manchurian Candidate to be president.
12chappatte-master768.jpg
Thus making true my prediction that, upon the next Republican assuming office, democrats would pretend the last 8 years didn't happen.

I was exchanging posts with USMB Republicans and Offensivelyopenminded said:

They (Republicans) freed the slaves, not the DemonRats.

So I said:

Since during the Civil War, the majority of those in the south were Democrats and those in the north, Republicans. Now the majority in the south are Republicans and those in the north Democrats.

How did that happen? Did they trade places?

and Buckeye45_73 said:

Very simple, republicans moved south, and younger people in those areqas became republican.

"You can tell this because almost all of the old racists didn't switch.....only a very few did.
And conservatives have been republicans since Lincoln and have dominated the republican party when the democrats were against civil rights....and the republicans were and still are pro civil rights.

----------------------

At first, I couldn't get passed: Very simple, republicans moved south

I laughed and laughed and laughed. Clearly, this is someone who doesn't understand how many tens of millions would have to move to change a party majority. Then I read the rest of it and then i got to this part:

Let me say it again:

--------------------------------

What do you say? What can you say? This is beyond alternative facts. This is alternative universe.

Usually the 'southern democrats became republicans' argument is used to explain 'republican bigotry' and counter the fact that the GOP pushed through the Civil Rights Acts against opposition from Democrats.

The thing that needs to be remembered, is that as the South became more Republican, it became less racist.

There was a swing, that began in the 30s (maybe one could argue in the 20s). But it also occurred against a backdrop of the Democrats opposing Civil a Rights laws, anti/lynching laws. Moreover, it's been long and drawn out. It's only been in the last decade or so that state legislatures and governorships have been flipping to the GOP after a century in the hands of Democrats.

Forum List

Back