Republicans want to cut education by 25 percent.

So, you want to cut teachers hours, but give them more administrative work? How is that going to work?

Where did I say cut teachers' hours. I said make them work 40 hours a week all year round and cut down the number of overpaid administrators.

Yes, so since most teachers work about 80 hours a week and at least 20 during the summer. You are talking about cutting at least 20 hours. I thought you said the teachers should do the administrative work. If not I apologize, but I still don't see what good cutting their hours would do, unless you want no summer school, because they do get paid differently for that, but often times it is not even in their home district since so much summer school has been cut already.

80 hours a week my ass.

Most teachers I know work during the summer but it ain't teaching.

Where did I say cut teachers' hours. I said make them work 40 hours a week all year round and cut down the number of overpaid administrators.

Yes, so since most teachers work about 80 hours a week and at least 20 during the summer. You are talking about cutting at least 20 hours. I thought you said the teachers should do the administrative work. If not I apologize, but I still don't see what good cutting their hours would do, unless you want no summer school, because they do get paid differently for that, but often times it is not even in their home district since so much summer school has been cut already.

es, so since most teachers work about 80 hours a week

Was it necessary to lie to make your point? Now you can be dismissed as a whack job.

No, I was not lying. Most teachers work 80 hours a week. I have lots of friends who teach primary and secondary education and I teach at the graduate school level. Though I have other jobs too, they work at their job at least 80 hours a week, sometimes more depending on what is going on. I do not work on actual school work any where near that much. Sometimes it is probably not even 40 hours a week for me. I would never do what they do. I can show up at school 15 minutes before I teach, they go to work 2 hours before school starts every day. I can leave as soon as my office hours or class is over, depending. They stay until all the after school activities are over at 5:00, some 2 hours after class ended. Then they have to go home and plan and grade a whole lot more than I ever have to. I only have to plan at the beginning of the semester, if that because often I teach the same class, and don't have things to grade every single day. Oh, and my teaching job pays a lot more money.

Last edited:
Liberals: Education isn't working. We need to spend more money on it.

*Throws money at education*

Conservatives: Ummm...maybe throwing money at it isn't the solution.

Liberals: ZOMG!! Conservatives hate education and want to destroy it!!!

That about cover it?

Was it necessary to lie to make your point? Now you can be dismissed as a whack job.

No, I was not lying. Most teachers work 80 hours a week. I have lots of friends who teach primary and secondary education and I teach at the graduate school level. Though I have other jobs too, they work at their job at least 80 hours a week, sometimes more depending on what is going on. .

Good teachers work hard, but that is a silly exaggerration.

Yes, and they should use the money to pay the students for their grades. That would be an effective incentive to develop their talents, not the unnatural one of having unpaid work pay off 10 or 20 years down the line.

Why should the Republicans care? If people can't afford education, the children of the rich will be the only ones allowed to get ahead. For 50 years, all the GOPers have wanted to do is set up an unAmerican aristocracy, a country based on birth rather than worth.

Hysterical drama queen loser.

Your drama is boring and has a choir instead of an audience.

Yes, and they should use the money to pay the students for their grades. That would be an effective incentive to develop their talents, not the unnatural one of having unpaid work pay off 10 or 20 years down the line.

You're a fucking idiot, you lazy piece of shit.

Why should the Republicans care? If people can't afford education, the children of the rich will be the only ones allowed to get ahead. For 50 years, all the GOPers have wanted to do is set up an unAmerican aristocracy, a country based on birth rather than worth.

Hysterical drama queen loser.

Your drama is boring and has a choir instead of an audience.

Stop trying so hard, everyone will get to know you are a fucking moron in due time.

I'd like the OP to prove the causality of more spending improving the quality of education. Please start with per pupil spending in the 1960s, adjust for inflation, and compare it to the same statistic today. Then review test and literacy scores.

No, I was not lying. Most teachers work 80 hours a week. I have lots of friends who teach primary and secondary education and I teach at the graduate school level. Though I have other jobs too, they work at their job at least 80 hours a week, sometimes more depending on what is going on. I do not work on actual school work any where near that much. Sometimes it is probably not even 40 hours a week for me. I would never do what they do. I can show up at school 15 minutes before I teach, they go to work 2 hours before school starts every day. I can leave as soon as my office hours or class is over, depending. They stay until all the after school activities are over at 5:00, some 2 hours after class ended. Then they have to go home and plan and grade a whole lot more than I ever have to. I only have to plan at the beginning of the semester, if that because often I teach the same class, and don't have things to grade every single day. Oh, and my teaching job pays a lot more money.

Anecdotal and lacking proof.

Show me concrete evidence that most teachers work 80 hours a week.

It is true it is anecdotal, and I cannot show you concrete proof because it could definitely be different depending on where you live, but you can find out how much the teachers have to work in your district by finding the contract between the teachers union and the school district. In my school district the contract stipulates that a 1-5 school teacher in the district must arrive at school by 7:30 and leave no early than 4:30. They must attend at least one advanced planning meeting a week lasting 2 hours, and have to officiate at least one after school activity which last 1 1/2 hours two days a week. So, if they never graded a single homework assignment or planned anything or had any conferences (which of course they would not have a job) that is 50 hours a week. A middle school teacher has to arrive at school no later than 7:00am and leave no earlier than 3:30, attend at least one advanced planning meeting a week, officiate 1 after school activity, and chaperone 9 after school events a quarter. It works out again to 50 hours a week actual at school time and the high school has a few more requirements that work out to 55 hours. There are some other things what has to be done at the end of the school year and at the end of the summer before the kids come back to school, but I did not feel like figuring that out. So, if you are interested how much a teacher works in your district, you can find out. I am sure there are probably places online where you can figure out what kind of average times grading takes as well.

It is true it is anecdotal, and I cannot show you concrete proof because it could definitely be different depending on where you live, but you can find out how much the teachers have to work in your district by finding the contract between the teachers union and the school district. In my school district the contract stipulates that a 1-5 school teacher in the district must arrive at school by 7:30 and leave no early than 4:30. They must attend at least one advanced planning meeting a week lasting 2 hours, and have to officiate at least one after school activity which last 1 1/2 hours two days a week. So, if they never graded a single homework assignment or planned anything or had any conferences (which of course they would not have a job) that is 50 hours a week. A middle school teacher has to arrive at school no later than 7:00am and leave no earlier than 3:30, attend at least one advanced planning meeting a week, officiate 1 after school activity, and chaperone 9 after school events a quarter. It works out again to 50 hours a week actual at school time and the high school has a few more requirements that work out to 55 hours. There are some other things what has to be done at the end of the school year and at the end of the summer before the kids come back to school, but I did not feel like figuring that out. So, if you are interested how much a teacher works in your district, you can find out. I am sure there are probably places online where you can figure out what kind of average times grading takes as well.

Since you want to stick to anecdotal evidence here,

No teacher I have ever known (counted at about a dozen or more) has ever worked 80 hours a week during the school year.

Now here is some real evidence. Yes it's from 2005 but it's the first thing that came up on Google.

http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/cr_50.htm

Full-time public school teachers work on average 36.5 hours per week during weeks that they are working. By comparison, white-collar workers (excluding sales) work 39.4 hours, and professional specialty and technical workers work 39.0 hours per week. Private school teachers work 38.3 hours per week.

You'll notice the phrase "weeks that they are working" which is taken to mean when school is in session.

Last edited:

No teacher I have ever known (counted at about a dozen or more) has ever worked 80 hours a week during the school year.

Now here is some real evidence. Yes it's from 2005 but it's the first thing that came up on Google.

Civic Report 50 | How Much Are Public School Teachers Paid?

Full-time public school teachers work on average 36.5 hours per week during weeks that they are working. By comparison, white-collar workers (excluding sales) work 39.4 hours, and professional specialty and technical workers work 39.0 hours per week. Private school teachers work 38.3 hours per week.

You'll notice the phrase "weeks that they are working" which is taken to mean when school is in session.

Actually, I told you to look up the contract between your school district and the teachers union to see how much teachers actually have to work in your school district, which is what I did for mine. If you are not really interested that is fine. Also, I did not post a link because I do not want people here to know where I live.

Civic Report 50 | How Much Are Public School Teachers Paid?

Actually, I told you to look up the contract between your school district and the teachers union to see how much teachers actually have to work in your school district, which is what I did for mine. If you are not really interested that is fine. Also, I did not post a link because I do not want people here to know where I live.

National data was used in the article.

You did say "most teachers" and numbers given would certainly cover Most teachers so I do believe you have been completely debunked here.

Department of Education funds should be cut, and the Department reduced to what it once was, a section of HUD.

It's not the money, but the commitment of a local community and their values held about the importance of education that make schools great.

Now, it is a feeding trough, with thousands of good programs cut, and thousands implemented that are questionable at best.

Once school becomes a priviledge, not a right, watch how fast discipline improves and academic progress rises.

Forum List

Back