Republicans want tax breaks for these things

High-end strip joints such as Manhattan's Penthouse Executive Club enjoying huge tax breaks

But until now, few people realized taxpayers have been subsidizing the fantasy sex.

Now I know why the facking Repugs don't want the federal government regulating shat. This shat ought to be deemed illegal by the feds since the state of NY is doing nothing about it.

Since when is a tax cut a subsidy?

Ohh about like letting a temporary a temporary tax cut expire being for a tax increase?

I work as a dancer at Penthouse Executive club and do not understand why if this establishment is making changes that meet the state's requirement, they are being shunned for receiving the associated tax break.

Sure, it is not as vital a business as a grocery store but it is a legal source of entertainment. Would a movie theater or risqué Broadway play receive the same criticism? I am a productive member of society, pay my taxes (generously) and am certainly doing my part to stimulate the local economy.

I don't think people's stigma with the risqué aspect of the profession should cause them to ostracize businesses like this one from receiving the same benefits of others. I've heard rumors that other "strip clubs" (especially outside of Manhattan) may have shady business practices, but Penthouse has always been a true gentleman's club - very well run with excellent management. They give back through charitable events and most of us dancers give back to our families and local communities.

I feel as though Scott Stringer should stop to consider how many jobs this company provides and how much tax money it infuses back into society rather than insulting the intelligence of locals by making such statements to cheaply solicit an emotional response from those who find displeasure with that type of industry - and hey, I'm just a "stripper".

I work as a dancer at Penthouse Executive club and do not understand why if this establishment is making changes that meet the state's requirement, they are being shunned for receiving the associated tax break.

Sure, it is not as vital a business as a grocery store but it is a legal source of entertainment. Would a movie theater or risqué Broadway play receive the same criticism? I am a productive member of society, pay my taxes (generously) and am certainly doing my part to stimulate the local economy.

I don't think people's stigma with the risqué aspect of the profession should cause them to ostracize businesses like this one from receiving the same benefits of others. I've heard rumors that other "strip clubs" (especially outside of Manhattan) may have shady business practices, but Penthouse has always been a true gentleman's club - very well run with excellent management. They give back through charitable events and most of us dancers give back to our families and local communities.

I feel as though Scott Stringer should stop to consider how many jobs this company provides and how much tax money it infuses back into society rather than insulting the intelligence of locals by making such statements to cheaply solicit an emotional response from those who find displeasure with that type of industry - and hey, I'm just a "stripper".

I think you made some good points, but I think you're missing what's going on here.

In this thread, we have a bunch of rightwing loons, who normally rail about govt spending and welfare, falling over themselves in an attempt to rationalize why it's OK for the govt to spend money on corporate welfare.

For the record, I don't think strip clubs should be deprived of any govt benefit or tax cut, that any other business is entitled to. However, I don't think any profitable businesses should be given a tax credit for doing us the favor of doing business in NYC.

High-end strip joints such as Manhattan's Penthouse Executive Club enjoying huge tax breaks

But until now, few people realized taxpayers have been subsidizing the fantasy sex.

Now I know why the facking Repugs don't want the federal government regulating shat. This shat ought to be deemed illegal by the feds since the state of NY is doing nothing about it.

Ohh about like letting a temporary a temporary tax cut expire being for a tax increase?

But it is a tax increase.

A tax cut isn't a subsidy. A subsidy is giving people money they didn't previously have to help support them. A tax cut let's people keep money that's already theirs.

There are many people who seem to have the assumption that all wealth in the country is the governments and the politicians to do whatever they want with it. That somehow any money we have is only because of their benevolence.

But it's not the government's money. It's our money. The money I earn belongs to me. Not the government. The money you earn belongs to you. Not the government. They only have the power to tax us because of our consent.

If we tell you through the legislative process that we are going to keep more of our money it's not a subsidy. Because it's our money to begin with.

But it is a tax increase.

A tax cut isn't a subsidy. A subsidy is giving people money they didn't previously have to help support them. A tax cut let's people keep money that's already theirs.

There are many people who seem to have the assumption that all wealth in the country is the governments and the politicians to do whatever they want with it. That somehow any money we have is only because of their benevolence.

But it's not the government's money. It's our money. The money I earn belongs to me. Not the government. The money you earn belongs to you. Not the government. They only have the power to tax us because of our consent.

If we tell you through the legislative process that we are going to keep more of our money it's not a subsidy. Because it's our money to begin with.

Yes it is the govts money. The law just allows taxpayers to hold onto this money until the end of the year, when the tax bill comes due. If it's a business, they pay quaterly. Either way, it's the govts money. The tax credit is a way the govt gives money (ie subsidizes) to business

And if you earn money without using ANY govt resources (roads, trains, post office, telephones, the internet, etc) then you can keep all the money. Otherwise, you have to pay taxes for the taxpayer-funded resources you used.

Only a wingnut freeloader, grown dependent on govt welfare checks, would think they could use govt resources without paying for them/. Wingnut welfare queens have an entitlement syndrome that makes them think everything is free

Forum List

Back