Republicans' unfavorable demographics?

There does seem to be some indication that at least parts of the party are waking up, like the comments by Jeb and Jindal, the pushback against Norquist, etc. All that stuff happened pretty much right away, much faster than I was expecting.

There was no excuse for the Dems to keep the White House and make gains in both houses of Congress with unemployment at 8%, at least that's what conventional wisdom would say. The hardliners in the GOP can stay in denial, but there may be enough momentum brewing for the more pragmatic Republicans to pull the party's ass out of the fire.

If that happens, those wallowing in denial will just have to deal with it.

Republicans acting like Democrats won't be elected. If we want Democrats, we'll elect Democrats. And, if Republicans act like Democrats to try and get elected, Republicans won't vote for them. And, Democrats aren't going to vote for them when they can elect a Democrat. And, although I'm unaware of what you're talking about with respect to Jeb? From the comments I've heard of Jindal, he's a dick and he might just as well go stuff his nose up Democrats' asses and change his party affiliation appropriately.

I know the standard meme is "if our candidates are not hardcore conservatives, then they're democrats." But let me float a crazy idea by you, and see what you think:

Let's assume the hardliners are completely confident with their stance on the issues. That seems pretty clear. So how about this: What if you worked backwards - instead of trying to win elections from the hard right, instead of talking about "legitimate rape" and "deport the illegals" and "no abortion ever" and all that, you tried the following strategy:

1. Politely marginalize the absolutist hardliners who have pretty clearly turned off a significant portion of the electorate, keep them busy with only the base

2. Get elected with a pragmatic and respectful approach that leans to the right but keeps the absolutism out of the picture

3. Govern with the same pragmatic and respectful approach that leans to the right but keeps the absolutism out of the picture

4. Lead by example, demonstrate that your generally conservative approach has the country moving in the right direction (assuming it does, of course)

5. Change the hearts and minds of those in middle who previously were put off by you, by pointing at your successes and suggesting more of the same

6. Continue your general movement in the direction you want, with a current track record that shows how women, minorities and moderates probably should have been with you all along

Just a thought there.

Or, you can continue the my-way-or-the-highway, black & white, all or nothing, shove it straight down your throat approach that served you so well in 2012, as you stunningly lost the White House and seats in Congress to a party that was in control during 8% unemployment.

Is this a crazy idea? And if so, why?

I guess my crazy little idea was a little over the top, huh?

Ol' Geezer doesn't yet realize the scope of the GOP loss. This election was more than just the Dems retaining the Executive. They also gained in the House and the Senate. And their gains were primarily based on what the GOP candidates were saying, rather than what the Dem candidates were stating.

There does seem to be some indication that at least parts of the party are waking up, like the comments by Jeb and Jindal, the pushback against Norquist, etc. All that stuff happened pretty much right away, much faster than I was expecting.

There was no excuse for the Dems to keep the White House and make gains in both houses of Congress with unemployment at 8%, at least that's what conventional wisdom would say. The hardliners in the GOP can stay in denial, but there may be enough momentum brewing for the more pragmatic Republicans to pull the party's ass out of the fire.

Republicans acting like Democrats won't be elected. If we want Democrats, we'll elect Democrats. And, if Republicans act like Democrats to try and get elected, Republicans won't vote for them. And, Democrats aren't going to vote for them when they can elect a Democrat. And, although I'm unaware of what you're talking about with respect to Jeb? From the comments I've heard of Jindal, he's a dick and he might just as well go stuff his nose up Democrats' asses and change his party affiliation appropriately.

Americans will not vote for Republicans if they continue their arrogant, self-righteous tones. A tone you seem to excel at. Treating people with respect does not make you a Dem.

Ol' Geezer doesn't yet realize the scope of the GOP loss. This election was more than just the Dems retaining the Executive. They also gained in the House and the Senate. And their gains were primarily based on what the GOP candidates were saying, rather than what the Dem candidates were stating.

How do you explain that Romney was sinking like a lead ballon until he re-invented himself and lurched to the left?

But of course. You're much more comfortable in denial. Clinton and Obama have brilliant minds but you'll have none of that.

LOL@Clinton and Obama have brilliant minds. Well now, that just all depends on what your definition of "brilliant minds" is.

Too bad you and your collective aren't armed with that "lethal weapon"...eh? Leftists' "brains" are about as "lethal" as a BB gun. Watch it kid, you're going to put your eye out with that thing!

I can't wait for 2016. My guess is the Dems will nominate a woman who distinguished hereself as a First Lady, senator and Secratary of State. But to you, she'll be nothing more than a shrill, pants wearing, closet dyke.
You make it so easy.

No, I'll call her a stinking leftist who's just as big of liar as her pants dropping husband is. But, she is a shrill and I've deemed her a shrill since long before 2016. And, as far as a closet dyke...well, not so much so as that cow Obama is married to.

Well, Geezer, we had the brains to kick the asses of people like you in this election cycle.

It doesn't take much brains to engage in shenanigans and lies.

Americans will not vote for Republicans if they continue their arrogant, self-righteous tones.

Leftists simply have no standing to be giving lectures about arrogant self-righteous tones. Your chump-in-chief is the uber-arrogant and self-righteous king and I simply can't take seriously a leftist talking about such matters.

A tone you seem to excel at. Treating people with respect does not make you a Dem.

LOL@a leftist giving sermons about treating people with respect. Is this comedy hour or something?

How do you explain that Romney was sinking like a lead ballon until he re-invented himself and lurched to the left?

Really? I thought he re-invented himself to be "severely conservative"? Stop making shit up.

Have better ideas
Be more inclusive
Sell your better ideas

Or, like someone else mentioned, you can pretend that you lost the white house to a crappy president, and lost seats to the opposing party who governed over a really badly managed recession, because dems bought off half the nation.

Really? I thought he re-invented himself to be "severely conservative"? Stop making shit up.

No, he claimed to severely conservative, then started agreeing with most of Obama's policies.
Didn't you watch the debates?

The country is going to hell in a handbasket and foreign policy is such a joke that you can't even figure it out and we are getting a lecture on republican demographics?

Have better ideas
Be more inclusive
Sell your better ideas

No, that ain't it. We need to give more free stuff and forgive folks of their burdens. Allow more amnesty, forgive more college debt, etc., etc., etc.

Or, like someone else mentioned, you can pretend that you lost the white house to a crappy president, and lost seats to the opposing party who governed over a really badly managed recession, because dems bought off half the nation.

What's "half the nation" got to do with anything? If you say half of those voting were bought off? That would be more appropriate. And, there's no pretense nearly half those voting were bought off. It's obvious nearly half those voting were bought off.

Buy off #1

According to the Times, the amnesty, which Obama announced in June, is the president's "most ambitious" immigration initiative yet: "The program, which grants two-year deportation deferrals and work permits to illegal immigrants brought here as children, creates a herculean job for the federal agency in charge, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services." The Times continued:

Agency officials are expecting the biggest load of paperwork in the shortest amount of time for a new program since 1986, when more than three million immigrants who were here illegally became legal residents under an amnesty.

Because deferrals are temporary and must be renewed after two years -- when Mr. Obama may no longer occupy the White House -- administration officials have been certain how many illegal immigrants would come forward to apply.

Frighteningly, the Times reported, the work permits that Obama will provide these illegals, in an economy where unemployment is soaring at more than eight percent, are a path for other legal documents. "The work permit young immigrants can receive with the deferral opens many doors that have been firmly shut. They can obtain valid Social Security numbers and apply for driver's licenses, professional certificates and financial aid for college," the newspaper reported.

That means illegal immigrants may well be impossible to deport. Once the Land of the Free provides all these benefits, there isn't much chance politicians will have the courage to take them away.

Illegals Line Up for Amnesty; Number Eligible Double Original Estimates

Buy off #2

President Obama's student loan debt relief plan goes into effect early
February 5, 2012

Graduate students received financial assistance from President Obama's student loan debt relief plan last month. Originally, this was supposed to take place on Jan. 2014, but in the midst of the tuition and loan crisis [as well as an upcoming presidential election] students will see their financial loans lessen this year.

In a public address to university grad students Obama said that over the past three decades the cost of college has nearly tripled for students and last year graduates, who took out loans, left college owing an average of $24,000.

Student loan debt has surpassed credit card debt for the first time ever, according to a report from CBS.

President Obama’s student loan debt relief plan goes into effect early*|*Daily Sundial

Buy off #3

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 15, 2012

Affordable Care Act extended free preventative services to 54 million Americans with private health insurance in 2011

Free preventative care also provided to 32.5 million in Medicare

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius announced today that the Affordable Care Act provided approximately 54 million Americans with at least one new free preventative service in 2011 through their private health insurance plans. Secretary Sebelius also announced that an estimated 32.5 million people with Medicare received at least one free preventative benefit in 2011, including new Annual Wellness Visit, since the health reform law was enacted.

Together, this means an estimated 86 million Americans were helped by health reform's prevention coverage improvements. The new data were released in two new reports from HHS.

"Americans of all ages can now get the preventative services they need, like mammograms and the new Annual Wellness Visit, free of charge, as a result of the new health care law," Secretary Sebelius said. "With more people taking advantage of these benefits, more lives can be saved, and costly, and often burdensome, diseases can be prevented or caught earlier."

The Affordable Care Act requires many insurance plans to provide coverage without cost sharing to enrollees for a variety of preventive health services, such as colonoscopy screening for colon cancer, Pap smears and mammograms for women, well-child visits, and flu shots for all children and adults. The law also makes proven preventive services free for most people on Medicare.

The report on private health insurance coverage also examined the expansion of free preventive services in minority populations. The results showed that an estimated 6.1 million Latinos, 5.5 million blacks, 2.7 million Asian Americans and 300,000 Native Americans with private insurance received expanded preventive benefits coverage in 2011 as a result of the new health care law.

The report discussing Medicare preventive services found that more than 25.7 million Americans in traditional Medicare received free preventive services in 2011. The report also looked at Medicare Advantage plans and found that 9.3 million Americans -- 97 percent of those in individual Medicare Advantage plans -- were enrolled in a plan that offered free preventive services. Assuming that people on Medicare Advantage plans utilized preventive services at the same rate as those with traditional Medicare, an estimated 32.5 million people benefited from Medicare's coverage of prevention with no cost sharing.

Affordable Care Act extended free preventive services to 54 million Americans with private health insurance in 2011

Buy off #4

UNDER OBAMACARE, FREE BIRTH CONTROL STARTING AUGUST 1ST
A measure under the Patient Protection and Affordability Act will go into effect in two weeks, offering lots of women the opportunity to save a whole lot of cash on contraceptives.
7/17/2012

Say what you will about the Patient Protection and Affordability Act -- aka Obamacare -- but one things for certain: It's about to save a lot of women a heck of a lot of money. On August 1st, the bill's (controversial) contraceptive-coverage measure goes into effect, under which insurance companies must provide members with options for free -- that's right, zero cost -- contraceptives. This includes oral birth-control pills, emergency contraceptives (i.e., the morning-after pill), and diaphragms, as well as services like sterilization, patient counseling and education about contraception use.

Under Obamacare, Free Birth Control Starting August 1st | Be Well Philly

And then, of course, there are the little tidbit minor buyoffs here and there such as free Obamaphones, or at least the perceptions that they were Obamaphones even though the fact is the free cell phone thing was instituted under Bush but, don't tell certain people that or else they wouldn't be able to call them Obamaphones and be of the notion that it's because of Obama that they got them. And then, surely, there were still likely a large number of folks who still thought like this woman did in 2008.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI"]Obama Is Going To Pay For My Gas And Mortgage!!! - YouTube[/ame]

So yeah, don't give me any crap about how nearly half those voting weren't bought off. Damn rights they were bought off and it's as clear as the brightly shining sun on a gorgeous cloudless day.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back