Republicans to target unions, expand school choice in states

Ray From Cleveland

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2015
Found this on my local news station site and decided to throw it out there. The meat of the article says this:

"As President-elect Donald Trump leads an attempted makeover in Washington, Republican governors and state lawmakers will be simultaneously pushing an aggressive agenda that limits abortion, lawsuits and unions, cuts business taxes and regulations, and expands gun rights and school choice.

Republicans will hold 33 governors' offices, have majorities in 33 legislatures and control both the governor's office and legislature in 25 states - their most since 1952. Democrats will control both the governor's office and legislature in only about a half-dozen states; the rest will have politically divided governments."

So is this such a bad agenda? I predict more snowflakes a falling.

Get rid of the commie institutions that have churned out a whole population of lazy, criminal, and stupid lefties.

say it aint so! you mean that the states will have their own says in what they teach our children!!!, you are telling us that the government will not be able to force all 57 states to lie to our children about our history and that the pilgrims were all terrorists!!!
this cant be happening !!!

say it aint so! you mean that the states will have their own says in what they teach our children!!!, you are telling us that the government will not be able to force all 57 states to lie to our children about our history and that the pilgrims were all terrorists!!!
this cant be happening !!!

Correct. How do they suppose kids will learn how to put a condom on if they don't practice it in school on a banana?

given that Charter schools have worse record than public schools, and that's before all the protections to keep the scams out are eliminated, um, yeah, that would be a bad thing.

The thing about it is, no one wants to set up Charter Schools in the Cleetus states. There's no money to be made there. They want to get into LA and NY and Chicago, where there are big old pots of money to be had.

given that Charter schools have worse record than public schools, and that's before all the protections to keep the scams out are eliminated, um, yeah, that would be a bad thing.

The thing about it is, no one wants to set up Charter Schools in the Cleetus states. There's no money to be made there. They want to get into LA and NY and Chicago, where there are big old pots of money to be had.

You couldn't have chimed in at a better time to prove my point Joe. Liberals don't like choice--they never have.

Those public schools are doing so wonderfully. I can't understand why Democrats keep telling us they are broken and need even more money.

Found this on my local news station site and decided to throw it out there. The meat of the article says this:

"As President-elect Donald Trump leads an attempted makeover in Washington, Republican governors and state lawmakers will be simultaneously pushing an aggressive agenda that limits abortion, lawsuits and unions, cuts business taxes and regulations, and expands gun rights and school choice.

Republicans will hold 33 governors' offices, have majorities in 33 legislatures and control both the governor's office and legislature in 25 states - their most since 1952. Democrats will control both the governor's office and legislature in only about a half-dozen states; the rest will have politically divided governments."

The states with strong teachers' unions have the best educational records in the country.

Why fuck with that?

Yeah public schools are awesome!!!! Don't introduce competition, Nah let the unions control everything, they really care about the kids and not about themselves.

Yeah public schools are awesome!!!! Don't introduce competition, Nah let the unions control everything, they really care about the kids and not about themselves.

You already have school choice. You want your kids to go to private school, send them. You want to homeschool, have at it.

i just hope that in 2017, none of our children will ever have to endure the painful suffering of being forced to eat those god awful/disgusting lunches that were created by a first lady who never liked America in the first place.

The states with strong teachers' unions have the best educational records in the country.

Why fuck with that?

:link::link::link:

What they are talking about is choice in education and employment. Liberals don't like choices. Choice means freedom.

Actually, I'm more interested in results.

You see, Wisconsin tried what you guys are talking about, and it failed miserably.

Here's something from the Right Wing National Review...

Why School Choice Is Failing, by Michael Q. McShane, National Review

What has been the result? On the 2011 NAEP, a test given to a nationally representative sample in every state and to a select group of large districts, Milwaukee eighth-graders scored a 254 in math and 238 in reading. To put those numbers in some context, on those same tests the averages in Chicago were 270 and 253, respectively, and the large-city averages for the whole test were 274 and 255. On the NAEP, 10 points equates approximately to one year of knowledge, meaning that even compared with their peers only in other big cities, Milwaukee students are two grades below average in math and almost two grades below in reading.

Here's the real problem with the School Choice Crowd. they don't understand that correlation doesn't equal causality.

Kids in Private Schools do better because they have parents who are involved. They make sure their kids get glasses and go to school with a good lunch. When they get home, they make sure they do their homework. They show up to the parent teacher meetings.

If you give a poor kid a voucher, it doesn't fix all the other problems.

The other end of it is that school choice usually means that the charter or private school cherry picks the kids they want. I went to Catholic Schools in the 1970's. You know what happened to the kids who were trouble makers, who had learning disabilities, etc.

They got fobbed off on the public schools.

So, no, taking money from the Public Schools and giving them to private schools doesn't really fix the problem.

Your hate is strong this morning. It must really suck to be stuck in your world.

Rant all you wish. Great Americans pay no attention to your lies, spins and oafish behaviors. We just snatch your chains to watch you dance for our amusement.

You already have school choice. You want your kids to go to private school, send them. You want to homeschool, have at it.

Correct, you want private school, you pay for it. You want home school, do it on a single income. In the meantime, no possible way of getting out of paying for pubic school. Can you do it? Sure. You just have to pay twice as much as everybody else.

Your hate is strong this morning. It must really suck to be stuck in your world.

Rant all you wish. Great Americans pay no attention to your lies, spins and oafish behaviors. We just snatch your chains to watch you dance for our amusement.

Buddy, you have less than two years before people realize what a mistake we've made.

Then you're done.

What they are talking about is choice in education and employment. Liberals don't like choices. Choice means freedom.

Actually, I'm more interested in results.

You see, Wisconsin tried what you guys are talking about, and it failed miserably.

Here's something from the Right Wing National Review...

Why School Choice Is Failing, by Michael Q. McShane, National Review

What has been the result? On the 2011 NAEP, a test given to a nationally representative sample in every state and to a select group of large districts, Milwaukee eighth-graders scored a 254 in math and 238 in reading. To put those numbers in some context, on those same tests the averages in Chicago were 270 and 253, respectively, and the large-city averages for the whole test were 274 and 255. On the NAEP, 10 points equates approximately to one year of knowledge, meaning that even compared with their peers only in other big cities, Milwaukee students are two grades below average in math and almost two grades below in reading.

Here's the real problem with the School Choice Crowd. they don't understand that correlation doesn't equal causality.

Kids in Private Schools do better because they have parents who are involved. They make sure their kids get glasses and go to school with a good lunch. When they get home, they make sure they do their homework. They show up to the parent teacher meetings.

If you give a poor kid a voucher, it doesn't fix all the other problems.

The other end of it is that school choice usually means that the charter or private school cherry picks the kids they want. I went to Catholic Schools in the 1970's. You know what happened to the kids who were trouble makers, who had learning disabilities, etc.

They got fobbed off on the public schools.

So, no, taking money from the Public Schools and giving them to private schools doesn't really fix the problem.

The only correct thing you posted is that people who have to pay for their children's education out of their own pocket make sure they are getting their monies worth. And you do know that vouchers (in most cases) don't cover the entire cost of education, don't you? Parents still have to pony up at least some money.

Correct, you want private school, you pay for it. You want home school, do it on a single income. In the meantime, no possible way of getting out of paying for pubic school. Can you do it? Sure. You just have to pay twice as much as everybody else.

Hey, let's go full out. YOu sholdn't have to pay for schools at all if you don't have kids.

That works for me.

Forum List

Back