Republicans study says stimulus worked

If that's the truth, we'd be watching the indictment of a president.

Watch the ads. It really is that simple.

If the ads were really about the stimulus, not Obama, they would have aired on more than just Madcow and Obelfart's shows.

Particularly considering their ratings... a genuine 'stimulus' advertising campaign would have spent considerably more and gone for more appropriate 'opportunity to see' ratings. Liberals just go along with whatever they're told. They seem to have lost their ability to reason, question or investigate.

Wait a second

I live in Florida--the economy in Florida sucks!!

That is why I am voting for Romney--unless Gary Johnson can win my vote.

Until Romney told him to keep his trap shut, your governor was saying something a bit different not too long ago...

On Fla's own website (StateofFlorida.com)
Gross State Domestic Product (in millions):

• $680,277 - 2005
  • $730,191 - 2006
  • $759,572 - 2007
  • $747,770 - 2008
  • $732,782 - 2009
  • $747,735 - 2010

Mr. Roberts and Mr. Volpe also said Labor Department research showed that advertisements would reach the target demographic of business owners and managers interested in hiring “green-trained” employees through a programming list that initially also included shows hosted by CNN’s Larry King and public television’s Jim Lehrer as well as the two MSNBC programs where the ads eventually appeared.

Maybe it's me...
Where does this prove anything underhanded?

Well, they said it was fine so it must be fine. or... alternatively, one could watch the ads and decide for oneself whether it was appropriate use of stimulus funds... personally, I was supportive of the theory of the stimulus... it was the application and distribution of it that was a clusterfuck.

I would be interested in seeing those ads - got a link?

Application and distribution is done at the state level though, just the way most conservatives like it. Who ought to get blamed if it's mishandled? The Feds who tried to help, or the States who used the funds in way that were unintended?

Wait a second

Until Romney told him to keep his trap shut, your governor was saying something a bit different not too long ago...

• $680,277 - 2005
  • $730,191 - 2006
  • $759,572 - 2007
  • $747,770 - 2008
  • $732,782 - 2009
  • $747,735 - 2010

you 'might' want to educate yourself on the pro's & con's of using the GDP as the sole measure of the economy.

Economist Debates: GDP
Is GDP An Obsolete Measure of Progress? - TIME
The great GDP swindle | Joseph Stiglitz | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Then again, you might not.

Maybe it's me...
Where does this prove anything underhanded?

Well, they said it was fine so it must be fine. or... alternatively, one could watch the ads and decide for oneself whether it was appropriate use of stimulus funds... personally, I was supportive of the theory of the stimulus... it was the application and distribution of it that was a clusterfuck.

Application and distribution is done at the state level though, just the way most conservatives like it. Who ought to get blamed if it's mishandled? The Feds who tried to help, or the States who used the funds in way that were unintended?

Oh, please. All the credit, none of the blame. Your allegiance to your messiah is sweet - but laughable. Are you gonna blame Bush next? :lol::lol:

His stimulus... his problem.

And... if you want to see the fucking ads - do what I did - research it for yourself. I don't spoon feed lazy assclowns. Educate yourself. I ain't your teacher.

Watch the ads. It really is that simple.

If the ads were really about the stimulus, not Obama, they would have aired on more than just Madcow and Obelfart's shows.

Particularly considering their ratings... a genuine 'stimulus' advertising campaign would have spent considerably more and gone for more appropriate 'opportunity to see' ratings. Liberals just go along with whatever they're told. They seem to have lost their ability to reason, question or investigate.

Only Liberals?

Now let's be fair and paint the whole issue with the same brush.

The same article which is being used to allege campaign fund misappropriation also goes on to state that several shows were considered for targeting the ads, NPR being rejected due to it's high prices. If this were truly a political statement, it would stand to reason that the targets wouldn't be a national audience but directed to areas where it would make a political difference. Again - the claim is that they were trying to stimulate job growth targeting greenies who would most likely be watching liberal TV. I know how you folks hate being reasonable, but...

Only Liberals?

The same article which is being used to allege campaign fund misappropriation also goes on to state that several shows were considered for targeting the ads, NPR being rejected due to it's high prices. If this were truly a political statement, it would stand to reason that the targets wouldn't be a national audience but directed to areas where it would make a political difference. Again - the claim is that they were trying to stimulate job growth targeting greenies who would most likely be watching liberal TV. I know how you folks hate being reasonable, but...

Again, for the slow kids, if your targeting a specific audience - say small business owners - you target your ads with the greatest 'opportunity to see' (you might need to google that to understand the term).... you don't slot ads into two of the very left wing talking heads available... given that small business owners are not a rabid liberals. You do get the basic logic of that, right?

And... fyi.... I am not 'you folks'. I am an independent conservative.... I generally despise both GOP and Dems equally.... except Romney... because he's smart.

IMO, the right is equally guilty of not thinking critically about the things it gets fed as well.

I don't know about you, I tend to go directly to the source before I make up my mind. The data tells you a pretty good story, and you don't have to try to figure out when an apple is being compared to a gorilla.

Case in point would be the country's unemployment rate. The news tells you that even though there was a stimulus, our unemployment rate stays at 8.3% for this year. The Bureau of Labor Statistics bears that out with it's monthly report (Employment Situation Summary). Here, they also tell you that 1,208,000 jobs were created since the beginning of the year (well - they actually give it as a monthly average...). This would tend to say that business itself has stagnated - they are laying off and outsourcing just as fast as new companies are joining the ranks.

This isn't about politics, so much as it's about profits. It won't matter much who you choose as a scapegoat, it won't get "fixed" in any election.

So your scapegoat are those damn evil companies and corporations. Yes, a horrible economy is exactly what businessmen want. The rhetoric of the left when it comes to their hatred of the private sector is astounding. The government holds no culpability in the housing crisis, it was all some Gordon Geko type asshole. Obama's policies have not worked because those damn bastards are sabotaging him.

What you are saying is absurd, and is a flimsy attempt to excuse the policies that have directly caused and contributed to the stagnant unemployment (which in reality is way above 8% had the numbers not been manipulated) and glacial economic growth.

In fact, when Romney/Ryan win the in November, I believe that alone will greatly increase businesses confidence in what the regulatory and tax situation will be under his administration. I think overnight the economy will begin showing signs of actual growth and recovery.

You're saying that it was "lack of confidence" that lead to the stagnation of business? How much cash could the administration have thrown to those folks to "improve" their confidence? The facts are that the smallest ventures are doing quite nicely now due to the tax breaks they've been given - although Faux news would have you believe differently.

Now - let's look at the whole picture.
The current administration has dumped more cash into the economy than anyone ever has. It propped up 2 major corporations who - by all rights - should have tanked. It held up the banking infrastructure to forestall a full-scale depression - and continues to pay exorbitant amounts of cash now that the banks are solvent again.

Republicans have been using stalling and obstruction tactics more during this administration than in any other. They get most of their campaign financing from the "evil corporations", which fund the superPACs, who are using their own stalling and obstruction tactics to hold the economy at bay. While screaming over and over how it's all Obama's fault.

To my way of thinking, we paid business a huge amount of cash to push our economy and get us all back to work again. They took that cash and went on vacation. They defaulted. They reneged. The very tactic that worked in every administration facing a recession failed this time - and my opinion is that the failure was deliberate. And so what? No one can vote a CEO out of office. The corporate profits continue regardless. And, at least according to the Dow, investments are WAY up there.

I think it's time to wake up to the fact that it wouldn't matter which party holds office any more. "Business" now OWNS this country, and they've proved it very convincingly so far.

Yes, small businesses are doing fine. Faced with the fact that Obama's policies failed to increase economic growth, the left has created the narrative that it is the business community that is to blame.

The very tactic used by every administration? Really? When faced with an economic recession, record breaking deficits, and unprecedented national debt--not every administration has chosen to increase spending.

"You're telling me we gotta go spend money to keep from going bankrupt, the is yes that's what I'm telling ya" - Joe Biden

Oh, please. All the credit, none of the blame. Your allegiance to your messiah is sweet - but laughable. Are you gonna blame Bush next? :lol::lol:

And... if you want to see the fucking ads - do what I did - research it for yourself. I don't spoon feed lazy assclowns. Educate yourself. I ain't your teacher.

And here we go from having a discussion to trading barbs... Predictable for you, darlin. Unable to support your conspiracy theory, you drop the pretenses. I only asked if you had the link - back when all this was going down, I wasn't all that interested in the Democratic party so I didn't watch MSNBC all that much.

I AM educating myself - every day. Most of the lessons have been how far the conservatives have been misleading the public. FAR MORE than the liberals who do the same damn thing. Just once, I'd like to have a discussion without it breaking down into insults and vulgarity when I find out how much you DON'T know.

And here we go from having a discussion to trading barbs... Predictable for you, darlin. Unable to support your conspiracy theory, you drop the pretenses. I only asked if you had the link - back when all this was going down, I wasn't all that interested in the Democratic party so I didn't watch MSNBC all that much.

I AM educating myself - every day. Most of the lessons have been how far the conservatives have been misleading the public. FAR MORE than the liberals who do the same damn thing. Just once, I'd like to have a discussion without it breaking down into insults and vulgarity when I find out how much you DON'T know.

I'm not your 'darlin'. And I don't do 'conspiracy theories', I use critical thought to evaluate evidence and form opinions... that means I don't watch MSNBC, Fox, etc etc etc. I don't accept sentences without knowing the full context. I don't automatically believe one side or the other... I find out for myself.

The ads were, in my considered opinion, misuse of government funds for campaigning. I read the accusation, I found the ads for myself, I looked at where those ads were placed - on two left wing talking head shows - and concluded that it was not about targeting a message to small business... it was about preaching to the ObamaNation, masquerading as green energy ads. It's not overly complicated.

If you want to have discussions without it breaking down into insults, stay in the kindergarten area - or the 'clean debate forum'.

Ryan and Romney have admitted that stimulus worked when they pledged to prevent the "fiscal cliff" because it would put US back into recession. By the same logic, w/o the Obama stimulus the Great Recession would have been much worse. Or if Obama would try to cut the deficits heeding Republican demands.

Last edited:

Only Liberals?

Again, for the slow kids, if your targeting a specific audience - say small business owners - you target your ads with the greatest 'opportunity to see' (you might need to google that to understand the term).... you don't slot ads into two of the very left wing talking heads available... given that small business owners are not a rabid liberals. You do get the basic logic of that, right?

And... fyi.... I am not 'you folks'. I am an independent conservative.... I generally despise both GOP and Dems equally.... except Romney... because he's smart.

Are you deliberately avoiding the marketing tactics they used here?

For you who ride the short bus:
MSNBC is as to liberals as Fox News is to conservatives. Conservatives have traditionally held to coal, oil, and nuclear as the sole methods of producing energy (don't make me dig out a link to Romney's own rhetoric on this subject). Green energy is a LIBERAL topic, which is why NPR was on the short list. I can see the ads as being deliberately targeted toward liberal business owners.

I'll disagree with you on Rmoney's general intelligence in another topic.

No, the report does not state that stimulus worked. It says that Florida benefited from the extra money provided. Any state or locality would benefit from extra money supplied from the federal government.

The stimulus did not jumpstart the economy, or even provide jobs, beyond keeping state and local union members employed. Like most left wing ideas, it flopped. FDR turned a recession into a depression, and it appears that Obama, using the same tactics, is repeating history. Who woulda thunk it?

I'm not your 'darlin'. And I don't do 'conspiracy theories', I use critical thought to evaluate evidence and form opinions... that means I don't watch MSNBC, Fox, etc etc etc. I don't accept sentences without knowing the full context. I don't automatically believe one side or the other... I find out for myself.

The ads were, in my considered opinion, misuse of government funds for campaigning. I read the accusation, I found the ads for myself, I looked at where those ads were placed - on two left wing talking head shows - and concluded that it was not about targeting a message to small business... it was about preaching to the ObamaNation, masquerading as green energy ads. It's not overly complicated.

If you want to have discussions without it breaking down into insults, stay in the kindergarten area - or the 'clean debate forum'.

Well then, sweetheart, would you be so kind as to grant this assclown the benefit of just 2 of your considered investigations so that I might be properly contrite? I asked for the links not in an attempt to pin your considerably droopy ears back but as shared information which I didn't have access to. If you don't have them handy, you could just say so. I am quite proficient with google.

No, the report does not state that stimulus worked. It says that Florida benefited from the extra money provided. Any state or locality would benefit from extra money supplied from the federal government.

The stimulus did not jumpstart the economy, or even provide jobs, beyond keeping state and local union members employed. Like most left wing ideas, it flopped. FDR turned a recession into a depression, and it appears that Obama, using the same tactics, is repeating history. Who woulda thunk it?

Scuse me? Think you might need a history refresher course. Hoover (a Republican) passed a full depression on to FDR who did what economics gurus say is the right thing to do in such cases: INCREASE federal spending, and keep doing it until the economy recovers. Here's a spoiler - the trick worked, and has worked in every recession we've faced with the exception of the one we're in now.

There are also a few economists who tend to disagree that Obama's stimulus didn't jumpstart the economy. They say the government should spend MORE in order to get the benefit.

That's right he is only responsible for the good things that happen in Republican states.

That's not what I said at all. Just wondering how folks can nit-pick the "OMG" stuff out of what a Democrat president did for the economy, hold it up as proof of his unworthiness to hold the office, and completely disregard the fact that the mismanagement they blame on a Democrat was actually the fault of a Republican governor.

That's pretty specific, isn't it?

The fact is that the billions of dollars spent under a Democrat controlled Congress and White House failed, and from the top down fraud is rampant on a national scale.

The only way that the massive federal spending, contributing to continual record breaking deficit spending under this administration, can be labelled a success is if you believe the illogical proving of a negative, ie it saved or created millions, oh F-it billions of jobs.

I'm sure you do believe that, but lets not forget that the Bush Tax Cuts, that that same Congress and White House extended, saved or created millions of jobs as well. :eusa_drool:

Failed where, exactly?
Failed to stop unemployment which was just over 10% at the time the package was passed from rising even higher?
Failed to stop the banks from closing and costing taxpayers untold trillions paying off FDIC claims?
Failed to keep 2 of the largest businesses in the country afloat long enough to get their collective acts together?
Failed to keep your income taxes at a low level despite the huge deficit at the time it was passed?

I'm not defending Obama nor accusing Bush. I'd just like to see a verifiable accounting of what the failure was. We're not standing in a bread line. We aren't waiting for our banks to reopen so we can get what little money they still have out of them. And that was truly where we were headed.

Wait a second

• $680,277 - 2005
  • $730,191 - 2006
  • $759,572 - 2007
  • $747,770 - 2008
  • $732,782 - 2009
  • $747,735 - 2010

Your data does not support your argument. In 2005, the Florida economy grew by 7.3%. In 2006, it grew by 4.2%. 2007 and 2009 showed negative growth of -1.5% and -2.0% respectively. In 2009, the growth was slow at 2.04%. Last year, GDP growth in Florida was a meager 0.5%.

IMO, the right is equally guilty of not thinking critically about the things it gets fed as well.

I don't know about you, I tend to go directly to the source before I make up my mind. The data tells you a pretty good story, and you don't have to try to figure out when an apple is being compared to a gorilla.

Case in point would be the country's unemployment rate. The news tells you that even though there was a stimulus, our unemployment rate stays at 8.3% for this year. The Bureau of Labor Statistics bears that out with it's monthly report (Employment Situation Summary). Here, they also tell you that 1,208,000 jobs were created since the beginning of the year (well - they actually give it as a monthly average...). This would tend to say that business itself has stagnated - they are laying off and outsourcing just as fast as new companies are joining the ranks.

This isn't about politics, so much as it's about profits. It won't matter much who you choose as a scapegoat, it won't get "fixed" in any election.

So your scapegoat are those damn evil companies and corporations. Yes, a horrible economy is exactly what businessmen want. The rhetoric of the left when it comes to their hatred of the private sector is astounding. The government holds no culpability in the housing crisis, it was all some Gordon Geko type asshole. Obama's policies have not worked because those damn bastards are sabotaging him.

What you are saying is absurd, and is a flimsy attempt to excuse the policies that have directly caused and contributed to the stagnant unemployment (which in reality is way above 8% had the numbers not been manipulated) and glacial economic growth.

In fact, when Romney/Ryan win the in November, I believe that alone will greatly increase businesses confidence in what the regulatory and tax situation will be under his administration. I think overnight the economy will begin showing signs of actual growth and recovery.

You're saying that it was "lack of confidence" that lead to the stagnation of business? How much cash could the administration have thrown to those folks to "improve" their confidence? The facts are that the smallest ventures are doing quite nicely now due to the tax breaks they've been given - although Faux news would have you believe differently.

Now - let's look at the whole picture.
The current administration has dumped more cash into the economy than anyone ever has. It propped up 2 major corporations who - by all rights - should have tanked. It held up the banking infrastructure to forestall a full-scale depression - and continues to pay exorbitant amounts of cash now that the banks are solvent again.

Republicans have been using stalling and obstruction tactics more during this administration than in any other. They get most of their campaign financing from the "evil corporations", which fund the superPACs, who are using their own stalling and obstruction tactics to hold the economy at bay. While screaming over and over how it's all Obama's fault.

To my way of thinking, we paid business a huge amount of cash to push our economy and get us all back to work again. They took that cash and went on vacation. They defaulted. They reneged. The very tactic that worked in every administration facing a recession failed this time - and my opinion is that the failure was deliberate. And so what? No one can vote a CEO out of office. The corporate profits continue regardless. And, at least according to the Dow, investments are WAY up there.

I think it's time to wake up to the fact that it wouldn't matter which party holds office any more. "Business" now OWNS this country, and they've proved it very convincingly so far.

Comparitively few businesses received stimulus funds.

This tactic of handing out cash to selected business entities has rarely been used, and has never worked, anywhere that it has been tried.

It is not cash that ends a recession, it is a change in attitude of millions of consumers that does the trick. Government needs to promote a favorable environment for business to flourish. and that is what changes consumer attitudes. Very few people are going to buy new automobiles, or other durable items, when they worry whether they are going to have a job next week, or next month.

Tax cuts, and regulatory easing, induce business to invest, and that starts the ball rolling.

Did it work or didn't it...
Paul Krugman said it did not because,get ready for this they didn't spend enough.
Then we have Libs that say it was a huge success....
Then we hear they are looking to do it again soon..
Well if it worked the first time why do we need to do it again.
Or was it a failure as Paul Krugman surmised.

The President recently said the private sector was doing just fine.

I can't offer more then this as I tuned this President out a long time ago.
Guy loves the spot light
the cameras,the adoring crowds.
To me he's just flapping his Lips..

Very few people are going to buy new automobiles, or other durable items, when they worry whether they are going to have a job next week, or next month.

And very few companies are going to start hiring, when they see little demand for their products.

This is how an economy ends up in depression -- consumers are not spending because of high unemployment, and companies are not hiring because the consumers are not spending. You have to break this circle, and there are only two ways to do that:
1) fiscal stimulus to create jobs and encourage consumers to spend
2) higher inflation to force companies to invest in expanding production capacity

The US economy is depressed because we have neither.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back