Republicans should refuse stimulus money

The Senators are now directly elected by the people, their views do not necessarily represent the views of the state governments.

The senators represent the people of their state as much as the state governors do.

Yes, they do. That wasn't my point. My point was that Senators and Governors may have different opinions regarding the spending package, and since the Senators are no longer agents of the state governments they're voting doesn't necessarily represent the views of the state government or Governor.

That is strange, what is the point of the republican party then if they don't share the same views?

Are state governors no longer republicans since they don't seem to share the same views then the senators elected from the same state?

I so hate this goofy state v state and regionalism that rears its ugly head every once in a while.

FOLKS, we're ALL AMERICANS DAMN IT!

From sea to shining sea, your neighbors problems are or will become YOUR problems.

I find it simply disgusting that so many of you are ready to set one state or the other adrift because you think it won't matter.

It was that atitude as it pertained to the CLASSES of AMERICA which got us into this fucking mess to begin with, remember?

All this "I got mine, get yours" crap is the cuase of why this nation is going DOWN.

Selfish fucking assholes.

The only problem with that idea is that all taxpayers will have to pay for it. As someone already pointed out, we'd be happy to refuse the stimulus money if we didn't have to pay taxes on it. Can you make that happen? And just so you know, States that know how to handle their budgets (like Arkansas) will be bailing out the biggest Blue State in the Union - California. How's that for a redistribution of wealth?

Sorry, the Blue states have been supporting the Red states for years.

Alaska receives more federal money per capita than any state.

so?

Remember the republicans and "pork"? It suddenly becomes a whole other story or what? Isn't it the exact same reason why they voted against the bill?

Last edited:
The only problem with that idea is that all taxpayers will have to pay for it. As someone already pointed out, we'd be happy to refuse the stimulus money if we didn't have to pay taxes on it. Can you make that happen? And just so you know, States that know how to handle their budgets (like Arkansas) will be bailing out the biggest Blue State in the Union - California. How's that for a redistribution of wealth?

So now it's time to pay them back. Funny.

BTW, you've missed the boat on this one, but that's okay since this garbage has been passed off for fact for decades. Yes, it certainly appears that more federal money goes from 'Blue' to 'Red' States, but that's not the whole story. I suggest you read the following book:

Red State, Blue State, Rich State, Poor State: Home

It contains factual information designed to educate, especially people who do not fully understand what they are talking about.

Likewise, all the Republicans on this board who complained about the stimulus should send their extra tax credits back to the Treasury and tell them to apply it to the deficit.

so?

Remember the republicans and "pork"? It suddenly becomes a whole other story or what? Isn't it the exact same reason why they voted against the bill?

so? why don't all you Democrats who are forever against tax cuts return all the money you ever fucking got because of tax cuts???:lol: and that would of course include all the assholes who don't pay federal income tax. TIA

The Red states already receive more money per capita than they pay in taxes.

The Blue states are supporting the Red states with their tax money.

The Red states are welfare queens.

Alaska is the worst offender.
Alaska could just keep it oil I guess.

and timber, and water, and gold.. :lol: and salmon,, and crabs,, you know all that elite gourmet food those shusi eating wine drinking libwal fools like..

Last edited:

Not if it is on National Land!!! They don't own that....

And as far as their own oil and timber, if they didn't sell it to us, then they are crud out of luck....no? :)

Not if it is on National Land!!! They don't own that....

And as far as their own oil and timber, if they didn't sell it to us, then they are crud out of luck....no? :)
Just going with Chris's idea of seceding from taxes. Alaska and other precieved Red states might as well take the full leap.

Haven't we gone over this one already. The blue states benefit as much from much of that money as the red states. Maybe instead of making our highways free, we should charge tolls to those who use it. Since the majority of products have to move through the red states, those charges will be passed on to more people in blue states than red, and we can cut back how much money goes to the red states.

The money that goes to states isn't welfare money. Well, not most of the time anyway.

The senators represent the people of their state as much as the state governors do.

Yes, they do. That wasn't my point. My point was that Senators and Governors may have different opinions regarding the spending package, and since the Senators are no longer agents of the state governments they're voting doesn't necessarily represent the views of the state government or Governor.

That is strange, what is the point of the republican party then if they don't share the same views?

Are state governors no longer republicans since they don't seem to share the same views then the senators elected from the same state?

Do all Democrats agree about everything?

Governors and Senators have different concerns, and different people have different opinions whether they're both Republicans or otherwise. The fact remains, however, that if Republicans, and Libertarians, have to suffer through inflation or taxation for this spending package then we have as much right to the services that will be provided as the Democrats.

What about the districts whose Congressman voted "Yes," but the Senators voted "No?" Do they lose out on the funds? What about the family whose Congressman and Senators voted "No," but they supported it themselves? Do they not deserve the funds?

Also, I believe the whole point of this spending package is to "jolt" the economy back to life like it's Frankenstein. Some Keynesians are saying $800 billion isn't enough, and now you want to say certain sections of the country can't get the money. Doesn't that defeat the purpose all together? If you believe spending on a massive scale is what's called for then neglecting certain parts of the country makes no sense at all.

Likewise, all the Republicans on this board who complained about the stimulus should send their extra tax credits back to the Treasury and tell them to apply it to the deficit.

Which it would not be used for.

Governors and Senators have different concerns, and different people have different opinions whether they're both Republicans or otherwise. The fact remains, however, that if Republicans, and Libertarians, have to suffer through inflation or taxation for this spending package then we have as much right to the services that will be provided as the Democrats.

What about the districts whose Congressman voted "Yes," but the Senators voted "No?" Do they lose out on the funds? What about the family whose Congressman and Senators voted "No," but they supported it themselves? Do they not deserve the funds?

Also, I believe the whole point of this spending package is to "jolt" the economy back to life like it's Frankenstein. Some Keynesians are saying $800 billion isn't enough, and now you want to say certain sections of the country can't get the money. Doesn't that defeat the purpose all together? If you believe spending on a massive scale is what's called for then neglecting certain parts of the country makes no sense at all.

That is not a good argument, all governors and all senators disagree in the way they act: governors all accept the money while the senators vote against the money the governors are so glad to accept. It is hypocrite for republicans to take the money (governors) if you take no responsibility for getting the money from the taxpayers (senators).

Republicans are just being incredibly hypocrite, they let the democrats take the pounding for getting the money from the taxpayers and yet the republican governors are the ones who seem so glad to receive the money. I thought they voted against it because they thought spending was bad?

You know what is very appropriate here?

PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS!!!!!

That is not a good argument, all governors and all senators disagree in the way they act: governors all accept the money while the senators vote against the money the governors are so glad to accept. It is hypocrite for republicans to take the money (governors) if you take no responsibility for getting the money from the taxpayers (senators).

Republicans are just being incredibly hypocrite, they let the democrats take the pounding for getting the money from the taxpayers and yet the republican governors are the ones who seem so glad to receive the money. I thought they voted against it because they thought spending was bad?

You ignore the fact that Republicans will be taxed and have their currency lose it's value through inflation because it passed whether they supported it or not. You ignore the fact that a Governor has no power over the way a Senator votes, regardless of ideology. You ignore the fact that not using the money in certain parts of the country defeats the entire point of the spending package in the first place.

You are simply trying to find fault with Republicans because they are Republicans.

soon as every democrat returns their tax cuts we will do it.. we are right behind ya.. hypocrite.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Gov. Mark Sanford of South Carolina took umbrage at my writing that his approach to the economic crisis is to do nothing. I'll deal with his "ideas" in a moment, but first let me make a modest proposal:

If Republican politicians are so deeply opposed to President Obama's economic recovery plan, they should refuse to take the money. After all, if you think all that federal spending is damaging, there are easy ways to reduce it: Don't take federal money.

Gov. Sanford can lead the way. South Carolina should decline to accept any federal funds for transportation, education, health care, clean energy or any of the other ideas President Obama is advocating to fix the economy. And the rest of the GOP can follow suit.

Justice Louis Brandeis famously called states "laboratories of democracy." So let's experiment. Gov. Sanford can be the guinea pig. His Palmetto State already gets $1.35 back from Washington for every dollar it pays in federal taxes, according to 2005 numbers, the latest calculated by the Tax Foundation, a nonprofit tax research group.

Commentary: If you oppose stimulus, don't take the money - CNN.com

And while we're at it, lets also cut off all federal money to sanctuary cities like NYC and SanFranqueerco.

You ignore the fact that Republicans will be taxed and have their currency lose it's value through inflation because it passed whether they supported it or not. You ignore the fact that a Governor has no power over the way a Senator votes, regardless of ideology. You ignore the fact that not using the money in certain parts of the country defeats the entire point of the spending package in the first place.

You are simply trying to find fault with Republicans because they are Republicans.

Republican governors are eager to spend money + republican senators are eager to bash obama for spending money.

= Republicans are being hypocrite

If they (as a party) really are so fiscally concerned and fiscally conservative then they should be much more reluctant for receiving money that should be spend.

The GOP as a party has as much power over republican senators as they have over republican governors, this is proved by the governor that was supporting the stimulus bill to much: http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/69453-floridas-republican-gov-commits-political-suicide.html

You seem to ignore the fact that republican senators have said that they don't believe that the spending will work (no matter in which states it is spend). You seem to forget that republicans act according to their party: this is all agreed upon by the party leaders, this is just a political game.

This is the republican strategy:
Bash obama for abusing taxpayermoney. => political win situation
Use the federal taxpayermoney to spend in the states, this way they win voters without having to raise taxes as a governor => political win situation

= political win win situation on the backs of the democrats

You can look right through it.

Every state whose Senators voted against the stimulus should refuse the money.

Does that mean they don't have to pay the extra taxes that come with the stimulus? I wouldn't have a problem with that. Great idea!

Last edited:

Republican governors are eager to spend money + republican senators are eager to bash obama for spending money.

= Republicans are being hypocrite

If they (as a party) really are so fiscally concerned and fiscally conservative then they should be much more reluctant for receiving money that should be spend.

The GOP as a party has as much power over republican senators as they have over republican governors, this is proved by the governor that was supporting the stimulus bill to much: http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/69453-floridas-republican-gov-commits-political-suicide.html

You seem to ignore the fact that republican senators have said that they don't believe that the spending will work (no matter in which states it is spend). You seem to forget that republicans act according to their party: this is all agreed upon by the party leaders, this is just a political game.

This is the republican strategy:
Bash obama for abusing taxpayermoney. => political win situation
Use the federal taxpayermoney to spend in the states, this way they win voters without having to raise taxes as a governor => political win situation

= political win win situation on the backs of the democrats

You can look right through it.

It's monday.. I love telling kool-aid drinkers. "Tough Shit!" :lol:

Forum List

Back